how long does cyclosporine take to work

** Originally posted by ward79 **

Hi,
I have been on cyclosporine 100mg a day for almost two weeks now. I have noticed no improvement and in fact my itchiness seems a little worst. I am and have been for the last couple of months been having the worst outbreak of P that I have had in the 11 years I have had it. It is painful to even bend my arms because of the P on my elbows. I go to the derm on Wed. and she is probably going to up my dose of the cyclo. I am just wondering if anyone has experience as to how long it takes for the drug to start working? Thanks!

4 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by jentaylor98 **

When I was on cyclo, I noticed improvement within a week, but I think I was on a much higher dose. I took two pills in the morning and two in the evening. I think at one point I was taking three pills each time. At that time I was ~170 lbs...I know dosage is dependent up on weight and some other factors.

I think my doc dosed me a little high because of the severity of the p I had at the time. He does tend to dose high at the beginning of a treatment and then try to work down to a maintenance dose of most stuff I try. I do know that different doctors have different methods, though.

I hope it starts to work soon for you. It was a miracle for me. Within 5 weeks all my p was gone (for the first time in my entire life) and stayed gone the entire time I was on cyclo--about a year and a half.

Good luck!

** Originally posted by Alison-gp **

I've been on it for about 5 weeks now, but I started on a higher dose too -

Started at 200mg/day and was upped to 300mg/day after 2 weeks (had bloodwork done and bp taken - both were fine).

I didn't notice any difference until I was upped to 300mg/day. Now I think I've hit a plateau more or less. I have gp and my skin is definitely smoother, but I'm still flaking, still itching, and still have it all over my body - just looks more blotchy as opposed to spotty, lol. My scalp has improved, but I think that is because of the t gel I'm using twice a week. I'm using dovonex on my face so that has improved as well.

I have a follow up today so I'm hoping my derm will up my dose as long as my second round of bloodwork is okay.

Hope this helps!

Alison

** Originally posted by wildflowerAnn **

Hi,
My psoriasis broke through on cyclosporene too, so my dermatologist had to stack medications and find the right combination for me. Maybe your dermatologist will give you some ointments in addition to the cyclosporene. I too was at a 200mg per day dose for most of the year that I was allowed to take it. Good luck and hope something clears it.
Ann

** Originally posted by wantthisgone **

The first medication I had taken was cyclosporine and I too, started on a higher dose. Since the dosage is determined by your weight the dose will vary depending upon each person. I was taking 100mg in the morning and again in evening. It started working wonders within days. However, overall cyclosporine didn't work for me because although it would make a big difference at first, after 1 or 2 weeks everything would return. This continued happening after 2 or 3 dose increases so it was time to try a different treatment. The one thing I did notice, and am certain was a result of the Cyclosporine, each time I stopped taking it the P came back much faster and worse. This happened twice - I had tried the medication two times. My doctor never told me to gradually stop taking it so I'm not sure if it was a result of abrubtly stopping all of it or if it would've made a difference gradually getting off of it. I don't think very highly of the doctor I was using at the time so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a medication you should not abrubtly stop and he failed to tell me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders