How fast does psoriasis spread?

Hi ! I was diagnosed with psoriasis in March of 2012. Just a couple spots on the legs. In January 2013, I came down with an upper respiratory infection and now I have it everywhere...top to my head (and hair loss) to my feet. It seems like each day I have more area that is covered. Is this normal? And, my arms and chest look like they've been severely burned. Is this also normal?

I start on Stelara on Friday. Has anyone had good luck with it?

Thanks much!! I've got a lot to learn, obviously.

12 replies. Join the discussion

your initial p. in march of 2012 may have been the plaque type.
because of your illness your newer p. in 2013 may be in the form of guttate, angry plaque or something different.
need more info. on the spots - what did the derm call it before hooking you up with stelera?

Thank you so much for your response. The initial diagnosis last March was guttate. Now, the latest diagnosis is a combination of guttate and plaque...it's different on various parts of my body....plaque now on legs and arms, guttate on back and chest. And, I also have scalp psoriasis.

I have primarily plaque psoriasis, and the most common thing people have asked me is if I've been burned when they see my spots. I had a bad second degree burn that covered a large part of my thigh in December and that burn did look quite a bit like some of my psoriasis, so I think that for some people the angry, red, painful spots are a part of psoriasis. When I am going through a flare, mine seems to spread overnight, too. I will wake up with new spots and sometimes it's shocking how much more area can be covered in a day.

I've not been on Stelera, but I've read from several people on here that they have had great results with it. I wish you a lot of luck in getting your skin calmed down and hope you feel better soon. Hang in there.

Thanks, Meliana....I feel somewhat better knowing that the spots just seem to keep appearing, but that it is apparently a part of psoriasis. And, yes, you are so right that it's totally shocking how much new area can be covered in such a short time.

I am hoping the Stelara works.....

Thanks again.

yes with guttate hundreds of tiny spots can appear in a short time and continue to grow.
others have used a biologic to treat guttate but the results were hit and miss.
now that you are over your illness your immune system will eventually calm down and things should get better.
i had guttate in 2007 and it took a good 13 months to finally shake it.

Mine has not spread much in the 12 yrs I have had it...it is either mostly on the back or front of mainly lower legs...that is it

Based on my experience and side effects which are clearly mentioned for all types of steroids , just one day gap can spread Ur p with double speed.
Rather I will say for any medication if u stop or discontinued , p starts spreading overnight. For me I stop for applying for 2 days due to traveling and it spread and covered with very high speed.
So better not to apply steroid at all its like invitation to get it worst.

well first off sorry you had to join us with this psoriasis ;[ and second welcome! ;]
my psoriasis started as a couple of spots on my body and i didn't think much of it. as days went by i didn't take much notice of it as i thought they were just pimples and then one day i wake up and look in the mirror and was like what the heck is this, its all over me! mine starts on the sides of my torso pretty bad and then spreads to chest back and legs.
i went on humira about a year ago and it made me almost 100% clear but i wasn't consistent with my shots so it doesn't help as much anymore. you should consider tanning, whenever i have a big event/trip that might require for some extra clothes off it usually clears me up!

Thanks for the tanning idea....we have a balcony with morning sun and living in Florida offers quite a bit of opportunity for sunning! It's amazing to me how psoriasis just spreads and spreads....I am learning a lot about this disease. Thanks much for the tip!!

I have had excellent results with Stelara. My body toleranted it very well. Within 4 days after getting my first Stlara injection I was completely clear. At the time I was covered 85%. I hope it works as well for you.

Linda63: Wow! Such fabulous news about Stelara. I am hoping and praying that I will also see positive results....like you were, I am covered about 80 to 85%. I live in Florida and would love to be able to wear a short sleeved top and capri pants!!! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Hi there, It can happen pretty fast. I had relatively stable plaque psoriasis since my initial diagnosis about 13 years ago. Mostly elbows, then knees several years later. Then I had a child, and had a major rebound after she was born, it was starting to show up on my shins and a few other places. Still relatively stable though. Then after a bout with strep over the holidays it was like BOOM, everywhere. I call myself scattered, covered, and smothered. That's the guttate form. I'm starting on Stelara too after my doc recommended it.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders