How does psoriasis start?

** Originally posted by lisajane **

Im not talking about the triggers but what is the process of plaque psoriasis?

When i developed a rash a few weeks ago, my doctor mentioned psoriasis and i have been freaking out over every mark on my body - even over those pus filled normal acne spots on my arms. Anyway the worst of the rash cleared and im left with a new patch of red skin on my calf. It doesn't bother me except i think its psoriasis (because my granny has it i think i have it - and because the doctor said it without asking for a family history of psoriasis).

I have this patch on my calf for about a month. It gets dry and i have been moisturising it but there isn't any scale. But if it was plaque psoriasis, how long does it take for the thick scale to form? And even if its not psoriasis, i wouldn't mind knowing cause i know i can get it anytime since its in the family.

Maybe im just freaking and worrying over nothing.

5 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

A thick scale may never form. I have a little plaque, some guttate, occasional inverse, and scalp. I have never formed a scale except on this tiny spot on my elbow..about the size of a pea. It begins to form a scale and by about 2 weeks, I can lift it off..and it begins again. This little spot just started doing this and I have it over a year. Its one of those spots that just seems to want to hang around, no matter what I do.

Now, I dont know if thats just me (that scales dont form elsewhere) or because I moisturize and if anything seems dry, I put a dab of vaseline on it.

I dont have a whole lot of p...and in the beginning (I was diagnosed 2 years ago), I would drive myself nuts, trying to figure out what I ate or did, when I got a new spot. It took over a year, to conclude, I was doing nothing..so now, I dont think about it. I try to use my ointments and keep my skin moisturized...and forget about it. Obsessing over it probably doesnt help us much.

** Originally posted by TJM718 **

Back in the 70s when I was a young teen I woke up one day and noticed an itchy red spot on my arm and then when I went to shower I saw I was covered in them. My P tends to be plague and shows up in groupings of spots. I've never had the large patches some people have. My guttate comes suddenly in the same fashion. I do freak out over every little spot because there's always the concern it will be a full body break out. But I've learned more and more to deal with it. I hope you clear up soon.

** Originally posted by slg **

The thick plaque is a build up of dead skin cells that has not been shed. Psoriasis is the over active production of skin cells in response to your body's imagined injury at the lesion site. Normal people shed their dead skin cells once a month in the shower. People with P. get new skin cells once every 4 days or so. A small red patch may get a thin layer of scales and stay like that. Some other areas will start out thin and as time goes on and the old skin does not come off, you end up with the thicker scales. DO NOT pick the scales since it will only encourage new cell production. Keep moisturizing and don't take hot showers. Feel free to ask any questions.
Shana

** Originally posted by stametst **

Im not talking about the triggers but what is the process of plaque psoriasis?

When i developed a rash a few weeks ago, my doctor mentioned psoriasis and i have been freaking out over every mark on my body - even over those pus filled normal acne spots on my arms. Anyway the worst of the rash cleared and im left with a new patch of red skin on my calf. It doesn't bother me except i think its psoriasis (because my granny has it i think i have it - and because the doctor said it without asking for a family history of psoriasis).

I have this patch on my calf for about a month. It gets dry and i have been moisturising it but there isn't any scale. But if it was plaque psoriasis, how long does it take for the thick scale to form? And even if its not psoriasis, i wouldn't mind knowing cause i know i can get it anytime since its in the family.

Maybe im just freaking and worrying over nothing.

Hi Lisajane,

Are you seeing a dermatologist? The first step is to see a dermatologist and get some medical treatment. This person can give you all different types of treatment method for this disease. The one thing I have found with plaque psoriasis is it starts in one area of your body, and if left untreated it will spread to other parts of your body. I have plaque psoriasis but do not have thick plaque, I have mostly redness and swelling.

There is no cure of psoriasis for now, however, it is a lifelong disease and requires a lot of medical attention. The only thing I can say is that I must use several different treatment options such as:

Aveeno Products-oatmeal baths/creams/lotions/shampoos/soaps. Gentle on the skin.

Eucerin Products-creams/lotions/shampoos. Wonderful products…gentle on the skin

Dovonex Cream-prescribed by the doctor and very expensive

Dove Soap Products-gentle on irritated skin.

Dreft Soap-gentle for washing of clothes. Gentle on irritated skin…wonderful.

Enbrel/Humira/Raptiva/Remicade and others-biological drugs. need prescription from doctor.

Lidex Ointment, Trimmacolon Ointment-need prescription from doctor. Aquafor Ointment you can pickup at your local grocery store; it is wonderful too. Helps with the psoriasis.

Narrowband UVA/UVB light treatments you will need a prescription from your doctor. Generally speaking, I have been informed that NBUVB is the better treatment but it depends on what your doctor is prescribing.

If you need assistance on any of the biological drugs here are the websites:

http://www.enbrel.com
http://www.humira.com
http://www.raptiva.com
http://www.remicade.com

Before purchasing any of the products that I have listed above you may want to check with your dermatologist first.

** Originally posted by lisajane **

Thanks for all the replys and info. This is one great forum.

I'l get my doctor to do a strep test and refer me to a dermatalogist, for piece of mind anyway. I have been dreading going back and taking the next step and getting the official diagnoses. I know i should do it but its scary.

I posted some pics in another post and alot of users said it looked like guttate psoriasis. Some even said it was severe. The front of my thighs were very red (both of them). Though they cleared up in just a month and i was using 1% hydrocortisone. Can severe psoriasis clear in a month with 1% hydrocortisone? And i wasn't using it every day. I still have spots of disscolouration on my stomach though.

Its not getting any worse and i have the stomach rash for almost 2 months. If it was going to spread and get worse, it would have happened by now, i suppose.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders