Honey on scalp

** Originally posted by Precious8095 **

Has anyone ever tried putting honey on their scalp P? And if yes...what is the best way to wash it out?

9 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MadCat **

Has anyone ever tried putting honey on their scalp P? And if yes...what is the best way to wash it out?

This made me laugh, as it reminded me of a particular incident I experienced a few years ago.

Sorry I have never tried honey but I have made myself a few home-made hair treatments with disastrous results.

The hair mask was for dry hair and need egg yolks.

I was in a hurry and didn’t read the instructions properly, particularly the very explicit instruction about washing it out with COOL water.

Anyway…………..it did take a while to get “scrambled” egg out of my hair.

Had another disaster with a banana hair mask and an avocado hair mask, but they are other stories altogether!

So I am afraid using honey may just be a case of trial & error.

Have fun.

** Originally posted by eranthis **

I'd bet that rinsing with lots of warm water would work... and your normal shampoo.

Stay away from bears if you try it. :^)

My sister is a vet, and she uses honey a lot in her practice. It has anti-microbial properties and helps to extract fluids from wounds, and it rinses away with water. It is less damaging to tissues than alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. She and my mom also use little dabs of it on cuts and scrapes on themselves under bandaids instead of antibiotic ointment.

Chris

** Originally posted by Precious8095 **

I have begun taking manuka honey for a sore tummy and when I brought the jar home i noticed the label mentioned SKIN . Sooooooooo i started putting some on some rather large P plaques and low and behold - those plaques have begun to clear up. They are a LOT more pale and totally flat. Sooooooooooo i began to think if its working for my skin..maybe it will also work on my scalp? Yes?No? Maybe? Hm..i havent had the courage to use it on my scalp yet. Maybe on a day when i dont care if i have to walk around with a sticky scalp which has been shampooed to no avail. hehe...

Sigh.... :eek:

** Originally posted by cmorron **

There was a thread on here recently about honey. I'm no wizard when it comes to links, but I'm sure if you do a search it will come up. I had someone tell me about an article they read in the paper last month about honey and P. I usually take outside people's advice with a grain of salt, but I guess it might be true after all!

** Originally posted by jillboatright **

I haven't tried honey, but I have used baby oil and olive oil and mayonnaise. I use a Clarifying shampoo, even Suave makes one. They are intended to wash out the buildup of products in your hair. I usually have to lather my long, thick hair at least twice to get it where the hair squeaks so I know it is clean. THEN, lots of conditioner so it won't tangle.

** Originally posted by teddyg **

The mention of a clarifying shampoo made me think of apple cider vinegar. I think maybe I've heard someone say that to wash the oily ointments out of their hair, they use apple cider vinegar. I wonder if that would help remove sticky honey from hair?
Maybe you could google it and see what you came up with, I wouldn't suggest you try it without researching it a bit first! Who knows what it might do to your hair?? lol :-)

Georgina

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

Aveda makes a HAIR DETOXIFIER, which is a shampoo that is meant to strip impurities from the hair--like it is good if you swim in a clorinated pool. It is a bit pricey but very good for washing out oily stuff. You can get it online from Aveda if you can't find it in a store. It saves me a lot of time since I only have to lather and rinse once. It also smells nice.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

I haven't tried honey, but I have used baby oil and olive oil and mayonnaise. I use a Clarifying shampoo, even Suave makes one. They are intended to wash out the buildup of products in your hair. I usually have to lather my long, thick hair at least twice to get it where the hair squeaks so I know it is clean. THEN, lots of conditioner so it won't tangle.

hi jillboatright,
welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good weekend all

richard

** Originally posted by MadCat **

The mention of a clarifying shampoo made me think of apple cider vinegar. Georgina

Apple Cider Vinegar is fantastic as a final rinse after shampoo & conditioning.

You have to dillute it with water, otherwise your hair will stink like vinegar for days.

It helps to remove built up soap, left over suds from the shampoo & conditioner.

It leaves your hair bouncy and shiney and healthy looking.

Use organic ACV if you can afford it, because commercial ACV is not pure and has other crap in it.

If you have mild P on your scalp it is ok to pour ACV & water mix directly onto your scalp.

However, if you have a flare up, it can sting.

If you have a flare-up, just use the final rinse on the rest of your hair

Difficult I know, but take a bucket to the shower with you and try dipping your hair but not whole head into the bucket of warm water & ACV instead.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders