HELP! My 1 yr old was diagnosed with PSORIASIS today

** Originally posted by brynnkelley04 **

Hello, my name is Brynn and my 1 yr old is Gavin. He has VERY BAD Eczema all over his back and legs. We took him to the doc. today because we noticed a large hard lump of dry dead skin on his toe last week. We took him today and she noticed more scaley skin on 2 other toes. I've heard that Eczema and P go hand in hand. They gave us a steriod cream to use for 10 days.
Is this something that my baby will always have??
It does not run on my side of the family or my husbands.
Please help.

Brynn
Gavin 12/30/03(mommy, am I gonna be ok?)

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MelissaLynn **

Hi Brynn-
Im so sorry to hear about Gavin having Eczema. Such a little baby, its just terrible. However, Gavin having Eczema does not mean he will get Psoriasis.
I am certain others here can share links and information with you on this.
I just wanted to jump in here and tell you how sorry I am for little Gavin and his worrying Mom... dont assume the worst, though. Put his medicine on him and make sure he doesnt lick it. Please let us know how he is doing and what the Dr. says.
When do you go back to see the Dr? Im sure once you get the Eczema more stable, they will switch him to a more mild cream, probably a non steroid.
Best to you both,
MelissaLynn

** Originally posted by s_s_harvey **

Hello, my name is Brynn and my 1 yr old is Gavin. He has VERY BAD Eczema all over his back and legs. We took him to the doc. today because we noticed a large hard lump of dry dead skin on his toe last week. We took him today and she noticed more scaley skin on 2 other toes. I've heard that Eczema and P go hand in hand. They gave us a steriod cream to use for 10 days.
Is this something that my baby will always have??
It does not run on my side of the family or my husbands.
Please help.

Brynn
Gavin 12/30/03(mommy, am I gonna be ok?)

About Eczema and Psoriasis going hand in hand... They are both diseases related to hyperactivity or just different activity coming from t-cells. The mechanism is truly not well understood in either case.

1 year old is a tough time. Usually mild cases can be handled with moisturizers, but this does not seem to be your baby's case. I'd make sure the steroid he's being given is mild at this point (hydrocortisone). Also, make sure they stay away from any immunosuppresant cream like Elidel until other avenues are exhausted or the baby is a little older.

As far as a solutions with salicylic acid like Miraderm, you do need to check with your physician as well. Even though there is very low risk of absorption after 1 year old, it is something to consider.

Make sure you ask a LOT of questions regarding side effects and studies FOR CHILDREN. A good pediatric derm might have more information to this respect.

Go to the websites, read about side effects. Education is your best friend.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Steven

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Brynn,

Welcome to the Board! :cool: Nice to meet you. I'm sorry to hear about the problems that Gavin has been experiencing. :(

I don't know as much about eczema as I should, but I do know that it's possible to have both eczema and psoriasis at the same time. Sadly, it Gavin does have psoriasis, it may be with him for the rest of his life because there is no known cure. (I've read that some people go into remission when they are diagnosed as children, hopefully Gavin will be one of the people who fall into that category. I'm 48 and was diagosed when I was 7.) Here the link to the NPF's discussion about psoriasis for people who are newly diagnosed: http://www.psoriasis.org/facts/diagnosed/ and here's a link to the National Eczema Association's website: http://www.nationaleczema.org/home.html.

More then a few people have posted here the either their psoriasis or their child's psoriasis was either triggered or gets worse when they have some sort of infection and that infection is usually strep throat. (Strep is a known trigger for psoriasis.) To add insult to injury, those same people often report that a psoriasis outbreak was often the only sign that they had strep, becuase they didn't have a sore throat or fever, etc. To add insult to injury, they also report that the psoriasis won't respond to treatment until the strep is taken care of. If you haven't already done so, you might want to consider taking Gavin for a strep test. (Insist on a culture, because the so called "quick test" is often unreliable.) Here are the links to some previous discussions about psoriasis and strep: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7538&highlight=importance+s trep+test and http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3074&highlight=presentation +strep.

Some of the medications that are used to treat psoriasis cannot be safely used to treat children, so you might want to consider taking Gavin to a pediatric dermatologist. You can find a pediatric dermatologist through the Society for Pediatric Dermatology's website. It's searchable by zip code. Here's a link to it: http://www.pedsderm.net/members.htm.

I find that the kinds of soap and laundry products that I use makes all the difference in the world. For example, antibacterial and deoderant soaps irritate my psoriasis and cause it to become even drier and itchier then it already is. I've had similar problems with the dyes and fragrances in detergent and dryer sheets, etc. (I've even had problems with dreft and that's supposed to be safe to use on infants laundry.) I haven't had any laundry related problems since I switched to "free and clear" laundry products. And, here's a link to a discussion about psoriasis and soap: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5940. (The discussion about soap is from an adult's point of view, but some of the information may be helpful to you.)

Taking baths with a product like Aveeno oatmeal soak can be very soothing. It helps soften the scales and relieves the itch. Aveeno makes an oatmeal soak for infants. Aveeno's website had been under construction since the internet was invented, so here's a link to CVS' description of it: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=148477&previousURI=/CVS App/cvs/gateway/search?ActiveCat=499.

It's important to keep Gavin's skin moist. It will help relieve the dryness and the itch. Which moisturizer to use is a matter of trial and error and personal preference. Make sure that the one the you use is made for infants. I find that it helps to rotate brands and to use only those moisturizers that are labled "fragrance free", "non-irritating" and/or for "sensitive skin".

Finally, you're probably going to be get some conflicting advice. That's because something that works for one person may or may not work for another. (Treating psoriasis can be VERY frustrating for that reason.) Before you use anything on Gavin, please check with his dermatolgist and/or pediatrician or your pharmacist to make sure that whatever it is that's being suggested (even if it's something that's available over the counter) is safe to use on someone his age.

I'm sorry that this turned into such a novel. You're probably suffering from information overload! :rolleyes: I hope that it helps in some small way.

Good luck. Keep us posted and please don't be a stranger.

Mike

** Originally posted by Michelle68 **

Brynn,
I understand your concern. I have severe psoriasis and 3 children. Unlike you, I'm a 3rd generation recipient. Any skin breakout on my kids is cause for concern for me. So far only my middle child, age 2 is showing any signs of trouble. He's been diagnosed with eczema on his cheeks. After a few topicals he's on Elidel and has good luck with it. Now it's pretty strong for a youngster so I use it sparingly according to rx.

I have probably driven my peds. crazy asking if he sees signs of p on the kids. But, he knows its a big fear of mine so he's extra cautious to check their skin. Just be aware of changes in Gavin's skin and stay as educated as you can. I've learned much from these boards!!

Michelle

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi Brynn
im so sorry that you son has p or eczema. i hate it when kids get this. welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good night all

richard

** Originally posted by Marielle **

Hi Brynn
Welcome to our family...I am Marielle, I have a 8 (soon to be 9) year old with P and a 2 year old with ezcema. I know where you are at and what you are feeling. Get a true diagnosis first. I could have sworn my baby had P just like her sister, but it went away right away, unlike P. Listen to what MikeK has said , I agree with all of it...He has helped me tons. Protopic is our med of choice right now. I use it on both children, Jessie (my P girl) also does other meds but Protopic has been great for her eyes and ears. Jillie (my eczema girl) just uses Protopic. I do the Aveeno baths for the itching and they live on Aveeno moisturiser. I am here for you if you ever need anything. I am not a stranger to P (Jessie has had it over 2 years) and Eczema (Jillie was diagnosed when she was 18 months). So keep yourself strong and if you need anything PM me or post.
Talk to you soon.
M

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders