Has anyone successfully cleared Psoriatic Arthritis Naturally?

** Originally posted by tplee **

I was wondering if people could post their success stories with clearing Psoriatic Arthritis Naturally.

If you have could you share what you did.

Thanks

9 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by CaptainCronin **

Hi tplee,

I don't know if this can be considered a natural clearing of psoriasis as I am taking meds; however, without using the supplements and diet, it just continues to spread - even while on meds. I hope that this is helpful for you. I am newly diagnosed and new to this site and trying to learn all that I can.

Here is my experience: In Oct. 2007, I was diagnosed with a "tineas" or a "yeast" or a "fungus" by a primary care doctor who wrote my diagnosis just that way when I requested aftercare notes and his diagnosis in writing for my records. I did not have insurance. He put me on nizoral 200 mg every day for 4 mos. That was 5 mos. before I couldn't walk from March 2008-July 2008 and almost had kidney failure. I walked 2 1/2 mos. last summer and relapsed in Sept. 2008 after jumping during a physical training session. We still thought then that my now possible PsA was an ankle weight injury that was having trouble healing and complicated by nizoral toxicity (elevated liver enzymes and could barely urinate for 1-2 weeks, but dranks tons of water). I have been in a wheel chair since Oct. 5th, 2008 apparently due to PsA which was dx March 2009 and trying to control P on my skin.

The last several months, I have avoided gluten and yeast in food based upon information I found on this site under "It worked for me". If I have either gluten or yeast, my abdomen blooms with what looks like to me guttate psoriasis. A derm in the Bay Area in Ca dx me with plaque psoriasis during June 2008 (no knee or elbow involvement, only abdomen in small, waterdrop-like circles that used to look like ringworm), but it looks like guttate and is isolated on my lower abdomen. My rheumy put me on prednisone 10 mg/d, and MTX + folic acid in March, 2009. Now I am on sulfasalazine instead of the MTX. The P did not really have many scales until I took the MTX. If I eat normally, it still spreads while on the meds. If I take the gluten away, it begins to fade and disappear.

I also take supplements. Here is my daily regimen: 800 mg vit D, 600-1200 mg calcium (for bone health due to prednisone), 1-2 multi-vitamin (overall coverage), glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM (for my joints), 200 mcg selenium, 400 IU vit E, 125,000 IU beta caroteine, 500-1000 mg vit C (as antioxidants) + a pro-biotic for colon health. My PCP said I was taking too many supplements and that they would not help, but I believe they may. Note: I started supplementing with vit D based upon a New England Journal of Medicine article written by Dr. Hollick in 2007. I don't have a link, but you could search engine it. There is a small sentence he writes in a very large article towards the end that said that vit D can cure psoriasis.

A couple more observations about my experience which may be fungus-related: I ate a Butterfinger candy bar which may or may not have caused an aggressive outbreak within an hour later on my abdomen a couple of weeks ago. Butterfingers are gluten-free from what I read, but the confectioner's cornflakes made me wonder vs. the dyes used in the bar, yellow #5, red #40, and the sugar content. I was surprised that continuing the gluten-free diet was not helping my recovery from this outbreak as quickly as in the past (7-10 days normally) when I would start the gluten and take it away again. What was different this time is that I had also baked a Bob's Red Mill gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread a couple of days later and used the yeast packet enclosed. Once I stopped that (1/2 is still on the counter), my skin began to heal rapidly. My entire time on the gluten-free diet, taking it away and adding it back, I had not consumed yeast during the gluten-free times. It seemed that I was controlling it and wanted to make sure that there was not another factor involved, but now I'm almost positive that yeast is also a problem.

We are all different with respect to what works and what does not. Check out the page, "It worked for me". Today, I was able to walk a little. I am trying to get motivated to do more conditioning on my ankles and calves.

Best wishes to you in finding a natural clearing.
Jennifer

** Originally posted by nina2002nina **

There was talk about clearing Arthritis in this thread.

http://www.talkpsoriasis.org/showthread.php?t=35967

** Originally posted by deedee71 **

Hi tplee,

I don't know if this can be considered a natural clearing of psoriasis as I am taking meds; however, without using the supplements and diet, it just continues to spread - even while on meds. I hope that this is helpful for you. I am newly diagnosed and new to this site and trying to learn all that I can.

Here is my experience: In Oct. 2007, I was diagnosed with a "tineas" or a "yeast" or a "fungus" by a primary care doctor who wrote my diagnosis just that way when I requested aftercare notes and his diagnosis in writing for my records. I did not have insurance. He put me on nizoral 200 mg every day for 4 mos. That was 5 mos. before I couldn't walk from March 2008-July 2008 and almost had kidney failure. I walked 2 1/2 mos. last summer and relapsed in Sept. 2008 after jumping during a physical training session. We still thought then that my now possible PsA was an ankle weight injury that was having trouble healing and complicated by nizoral toxicity (elevated liver enzymes and could barely urinate for 1-2 weeks, but dranks tons of water). I have been in a wheel chair since Oct. 5th, 2008 apparently due to PsA which was dx March 2009 and trying to control P on my skin.

The last several months, I have avoided gluten and yeast in food based upon information I found on this site under "It worked for me". If I have either gluten or yeast, my abdomen blooms with what looks like to me guttate psoriasis. A derm in the Bay Area in Ca dx me with plaque psoriasis during June 2008 (no knee or elbow involvement, only abdomen in small, waterdrop-like circles that used to look like ringworm), but it looks like guttate and is isolated on my lower abdomen. My rheumy put me on prednisone 10 mg/d, and MTX + folic acid in March, 2009. Now I am on sulfasalazine instead of the MTX. The P did not really have many scales until I took the MTX. If I eat normally, it still spreads while on the meds. If I take the gluten away, it begins to fade and disappear.

I also take supplements. Here is my daily regimen: 800 mg vit D, 600-1200 mg calcium (for bone health due to prednisone), 1-2 multi-vitamin (overall coverage), glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM (for my joints), 200 mcg selenium, 400 IU vit E, 125,000 IU beta caroteine, 500-1000 mg vit C (as antioxidants) + a pro-biotic for colon health. My PCP said I was taking too many supplements and that they would not help, but I believe they may. Note: I started supplementing with vit D based upon a New England Journal of Medicine article written by Dr. Hollick in 2007. I don't have a link, but you could search engine it. There is a small sentence he writes in a very large article towards the end that said that vit D can cure psoriasis.

A couple more observations about my experience which may be fungus-related: I ate a Butterfinger candy bar which may or may not have caused an aggressive outbreak within an hour later on my abdomen a couple of weeks ago. Butterfingers are gluten-free from what I read, but the confectioner's cornflakes made me wonder vs. the dyes used in the bar, yellow #5, red #40, and the sugar content. I was surprised that continuing the gluten-free diet was not helping my recovery from this outbreak as quickly as in the past (7-10 days normally) when I would start the gluten and take it away again. What was different this time is that I had also baked a Bob's Red Mill gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread a couple of days later and used the yeast packet enclosed. Once I stopped that (1/2 is still on the counter), my skin began to heal rapidly. My entire time on the gluten-free diet, taking it away and adding it back, I had not consumed yeast during the gluten-free times. It seemed that I was controlling it and wanted to make sure that there was not another factor involved, but now I'm almost positive that yeast is also a problem.

We are all different with respect to what works and what does not. Check out the page, "It worked for me". Today, I was able to walk a little. I am trying to get motivated to do more conditioning on my ankles and calves.

Best wishes to you in finding a natural clearing.

Jennifer

Psoriasis caused you to not be able to walk? I am confused?

** Originally posted by nina2002nina **

Psoriasis caused you to not be able to walk? I am confused?

the post says "I have been in a wheel chair since Oct. 5th, 2008 apparently due to PsA which was dx March 2009"

I am assuming this person is not walking because of PsA.

** Originally posted by ab870 **

My doctor tryed to put me on MTX and She she you might shed some hair but not big deal? So I didnt take it. I went on A fruit and Veggie diet and once A day I eat chicken in my salad. I just do fruits, veggies, water, and yogart w/ granola in it. My doctor feels I have PA, And wanted to put me on MTX, I didnt take it. So I have been doing the diet for about one week and my scalp feels better still pink but not bright red like it was,I was having swelling of my 4th toe and hurt to walk, But Now I can walk much better now and that the swelling has went down some. I take vitamins, healthy diet, and Advil if my feet start to swell. It might work. I started out with what I thought was a ring worm in the hairline. After seeing a million doctors and it has grown all over the scalp and swelled my lymphnodes in my hairline and one behind the ear. I thought I had hurt my foot, but I was told I had Mortons Nuroma And After 7 months with my whole foot swollen,And My 4th toe swollen I could barely walk. And I also have a nail nail going crazy that looks like a fungas. My Rhemy said I think you have PA. So maybe some one can relate to my story. The diet has help me out alot, I am able to walk better and,I have lost some weight which I needed.

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

Just an FYI: What you say looks like nail fungus could be a pretty common sign of Psoriatic Arthritis. Way before I ever got diagnosed with PA, I had nail psoriasis under my thumbnail and my doc thought it was fungus, but tests came back negative. Google or search these boards for "nail psoriasis" to see learn more.

** Originally posted by jumpingbean **

Just an FYI: What you say looks like nail fungus could be a pretty common sign of Psoriatic Arthritis. Way before I ever got diagnosed with PA, I had nail psoriasis under my thumbnail and my doc thought it was fungus, but tests came back negative. Google or search these boards for "nail psoriasis" to see learn more.

I had the same experience. I had what looked like bad nail fungus on my left big toe. I was prescribed oral Lamisil for said "fungus." This was the summer of 2006. I've suffered from mind-numbing fatigue, brain fog, and all my toes, the bottoms of my feet, and a couple of fingernails have P. I went to a dermatologist who did a nail biopsy for me which came back positive for psoriasis. Just today, I had blood work done to check for signs of elevated inflammation as I have two toes on my right foot that seem to have PsA. :(

** Originally posted by dottie01810 **

Here is my experience: In Oct. 2007, I was diagnosed with a "tineas" or a "yeast" or a "fungus" by a primary care doctor who wrote my diagnosis just that way when I requested aftercare notes and his diagnosis in writing for my records. I did not have insurance. He put me on nizoral 200 mg every day for 4 mos. That was 5 mos. before I couldn't walk from March 2008-July 2008 and almost had kidney failure. I walked 2 1/2 mos. last summer and relapsed in Sept. 2008 after jumping during a physical training session. We still thought then that my now possible PsA was an ankle weight injury that was having trouble healing and complicated by nizoral toxicity (elevated liver enzymes and could barely

I am interested in your supplements and doses. Have you had your levels of Vit D tested in your blood? Look at Barmney;s formula. He reccomends 2000 units of Vitamin d3. You dont mention your dose of glucosamine and chondroitin/MSM. Rheumatoid and osteo arthritis sufferers take 1500 mg a day of glucosamine/chondrotin and at least 3 grams of MSM over the day.I wonder if it would help PSA sufferers. Vitamin C has been kown to aggravate psoriasis--al acid foods have been known to aggravate psoriasis. I dodnt know if this is your case or not. You dont mention fish oil. I have seen it stated that psoriasis suffers should take 2000 mg of epa +dha 3 times a day. That is a lot and you may go broke doing it. Also flax seed oil and borage oil is good. Keep away from red meat-red wine and use canola oil sparingly.

Avoid tomatoes-potatoes-peppers-oranges.

** Originally posted by bobbrown01 **

I was wondering if people could post their success stories with clearing Psoriatic Arthritis Naturally.

If you have could you share what you did.

Thanks

i have been going to my tcm for a while now. my PA is 99 percent gone. it is a combination of acupuncture and herbs. however, my psoriasis is clearing slowly in some areas.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders