HAS ANYONE STOPPED TAKING HUMIRA ALTOGETHER?

** Originally posted by bonnie25 **

HI. I WAS JUST WONDERING FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE TAKEN HUMIRA WITH GOOD RESULTS, WHAT HAPPENED WHEN YOU QUIT?
I HAVE LOST MY HEALTH INSURANCE AND AM LOOKING AT GOING WITHOUT THIS AMZING DRUG. IT HAS WORKED WONDERS FOR ME. JUST SCARED OF A REBOUND FLARE. :(

8 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by jrw21780 **

When I switched to Stelara that doesn't work right away. PsA came back with vengeance in week 3-4. P flared from about week 3-7 worst time of my life. I however am a very severe case, PsA and PPP, and head to toe plaques un-medicated.

Just to throw something out there, if there is no PsA, depending on your involvement, there is a number of things you can do. Lots of people on here can help. Many threads regarding treatment without biologics. If tanning works, the weather is about to turn if you are in a temperate area. Tanning memberships aren't that bad ($) either. Ins wise there are links MikeK can provide to try to obtain the med through support.

Not much help for sure, but best wishes

** Originally posted by CaseyC **

Hi Bonnie, Can you wean off of it? If you have some injections left in the fridge, ask your doctor if you can stretch out the dosing. Instead of one every other week, you can even go one injection every three weeks. If you're completely out of injections, I suppose this would be a moot point. I didn't have any rebounds or flares. My dermatologist weaned me off of Humira, and added Clobex spray for minor spot treatment.

** Originally posted by lpagano **

Talk to your doctor, Abbot has a program for people with no or poor coverage for Humira, my son pays $5 per shot, you may not need to go off your medication.

Thanks for the suggestions! :) I do have 3 shots left. Maybe I can try and stretch it.
I guess I can see my derm as he is willing to take me w/o insurance. I verified this yesterday. It will cost me $250.00 for the appointment plus the cost of labwork. (which I guess is really worth it-just low income right now.) I've taken humira for almost 2 years years now. It has worked very well for me and gave me my life back. (I've had p since I was 5. I'm now 31. No PA as of yet.) However, I do worry about the future outlook of taking it. I think that is one of the reasons I am considering stopping it. Reading all the bad about humira is definately stressing. I have two kids and don't want to leave them without a mom. But, I don't want my hands, knees, elbows, thighs and top of feet covered again. :(

** Originally posted by MARCIA70 **

I stopped 2 weeks ago....i hated humira.......looking forward to going back to enbrel

** Originally posted by RacerX **

I was in a Humira study for over 3 years and was 99% clear....zero side effects. When the study ended I decided to stop taking it to give my body a break and remained clear for about 6 months before my psoriasis started slowly creeping back. I have been off of it for about 1 1/2 years and my psoriasis is still no where near as bad as it was when I started Humira. I hope you can get your insurance back soon!

Wow, that is great RacerX! That is great for your p to be better than when you started. I wonder if your body will build a resistance to humira though when you try it again? The only reason I wonder that is because I was on methotrexate one time and it cleared me 100% no side effects, on it for about 6 mos. and decided to stop it because we were planning kids. The next time I tried it (6 years later) it did absolutely nothing for my p and my blood work was elevated? ??? Don't know why but it was a let down. But the humira has been a god send for me. The only thing that scares me is the long term effect. My body builds a resistance quite fast to topicals too so it may just be me? Has this happened to anyone else? I notice if I miss taking my humira my p starts popping up in places, nothing compared to having it all over though!

Marcia70, I hope the enbrel works for you. I'm sorry the humira didn't work for you. I haven't tried enbrel as of yet.

I have a derm appt this Thursday so I hope it goes good and the derm can help me with my fears of taking humira longer. It was soooo nice to not have to worry about people staring at my legs this summer. People with clear skin don't realize how hard this disease is on us.

Good luck everyone! :)
Bonnie

** Originally posted by RacerX **

I am hoping I didn't build up a resistance to it, but we'll see when I start it this week....crossing my fingers and toes!

Good luck with your derm appt...hope all goes well!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders