Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease?

** Originally posted by Uniqua **

Hi all,

My 1year-old was diagnosed today with hand-foot-and-mouth disease. It's a fairly mild virus, consisting mostly of a low fever, sores in the mouth, and a rash over most of his body. It doesn't require treatment and will go away on its own in a few days. However, it's highly contagious. The pediatrician said it's harder for adults to get it, but I am worried that I might. I have GP, precipitated by a couple of rounds of strep earlier this year. I'm nearly clear now after a couple of months of NB-UVB and topicals. I live in constant fear that I will catch something that will cause another severe outbreak (beyond the annoying little "mini-flares" that I get occasionally--those are no biggie now). Has anyone had any experience with this virus? Has it ever caused a flare? Since it's viral, pre-emptive antibiotics won't help, so at this point I'm just waiting for the bomb to drop. Thanks,
Simone

4 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Hope77 **

Uniqua,

My son gave it to me when he was 5 months old. It consists of very painful blisters in your mouth, to the point that you can only stand luke warm water to drink. In my case, I got it from him after sharing my ice cream with him to get him to eat something. I believe it is spread by contact from saliva. I had it spread to more blisters in my mouth after I broke one. Ugh. Very painful. I would have to compare it with thrush for discomfort. Do not share your food is my best recommendation. The doctor could not believe I had it because he said "adults do not get this," well I would be proof that yes they do. I did not have psoriasis at the time, but toward the end of the virus' progression, I broke out in hives from head to toe. I am not sure of its effect on psoriasis. Wash your hands often. Good luck.

Hope

** Originally posted by nannypat **

After reading these 2 posts, it sounds like what I had for about 3 wks. about a month ago. My mouth was like a horrid case of thrush as was my stomache and the fatigue was worse than ever. I assumed I had candidiasis and used diflucan and the nystatin. I thought it would never leave. But I didn't get a rash or hives.

** Originally posted by Uniqua **

After reading these 2 posts, it sounds like what I had for about 3 wks. about a month ago. My mouth was like a horrid case of thrush as was my stomache and the fatigue was worse than ever. I assumed I had candidiasis and used diflucan and the nystatin. I thought it would never leave. But I didn't get a rash or hives.

Nannypat, it certainly could have been--especially since it tends to be a little different in each person. I imagine if it really is uncommon in adults, it would be even less likely to follow the textbook.

From what the doc told me, it has a low-grade fever, sores in the mouth, and almost always some type of rash on the soles of the hands and/or feet. In young children, it also causes irritability, loss of appetite, and fatigue (though I guess that would apply to adults, too). From there, the rash is different for everyone--my son has really fair, and somewhat sensitive skin, so he's got hte all-over thing going.

H,F,&M Disease doesn't have any treatment, and should run its course in about 7-10 days. At least if you did have it, there would have been nothing else you could have done.

** Originally posted by Cass1 **

I have had alot of experience with this virus.Both my kids use to get it really bad. Usually it is contagious before the rash appears. Not during the outbreak. But be careful. If you do get it, it shouldn't do anything to your P, but what it effects in adults is the heart lining. It can cause mitro valve prolapse. If you do get signs of it go to your MD immediately.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders