Hairspray, Mousse, Gel, Etc.

** Originally posted by JJCaraker **

My scalp psoriasis is pretty much under control except when I need to use hairspray or mousse. It doesn't make the patches bigger or worse but it does make the flakes more profuse and larger.

Does anyone know of ANY hair styling products of any kind (got to help everyone out here!) that do not cause a reaction with psoriasis?!?

14 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

I have the same problem and have yet to find something that works with my psoriasis. I have crazy curly hair, too, so it is impossible for me not to use product on it to keep it under control! Hopefully someone will come along to help us out!

About 20 years ago there was a brand of mousse that was made specifically for people who had problems with psoriasis, severe dandruff or eczema on the scalp. I don't remember the name but it came in a blue can, smelled decent and worked really well. Of course, it was taken off the market!

Anybody out there with any suggestions?!? HELP!

I always find that on days I go swimming my scalp psoriasis is super calm for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if it is due to the chlorine or the dollar store brand hair gel I have in my swim bag (much different from the brand name kind I have in the house for after a real shower). Maybe I should try using the junk kind after a shower? It could be my answer!

** Originally posted by maryf **

Hi! It's ironic that you posted your message today. I was starting to wonder if I could go back to using my hairspray routine after so many months of quiting anything except for the routines recommended my dermatologist, but now it seems I'm in remission. I have long, very fine, light-colored hair that has to be sprayed to maintain any sort of neat look at work (I'm a public school librarian). Awhile ago, my sister gave me a couple of cloth hats that are cute and stylish, so I've been wearing them to work with lots of compliments from coworkers. But I'm starting to think that many people are wondering if I am a cancer victim--not that I really care, because I'm completely sympathetic with cancer victims as well as anyone else suffering from any level of chronic disease.

Still, I would like to stop using hats constantly to control my hair, now that my scalp psoriasis has gone into remission (I think). Anyone who has tried hair products that don't cause flares--please help us. My dermatologist couldn't help with my question. He's almost bald, so he probably doesn't relate to my problem as a woman who loved her long reddish-blond hair before the scalp-attack.

This is such a great message board, and I'm so glad I found it!

Mary

** Originally posted by nocam1334 **

I ordered hair gel and shampoo from this site:

http://www.uncleharrys.com/

Their products are advertised as not having any toxic ingredients. Seems like it might have some potential. I'll let you all know if I see any difference. I've been looking for something myself to help with my scalp P.

I found this information today: http://www.skin-and-scalp-treatment.com/tea-tree.html

I have ordered the combo pack but you can order items separately if desired. I will let you know how the hair spray and hair gel pan out. I hope they don't make me any flakier than I already am!!!

** Originally posted by RyanSyp **

I found this information today: http://www.skin-and-scalp-treatment.com/tea-tree.html

I have ordered the combo pack but you can order items separately if desired. I will let you know how the hair spray and hair gel pan out. I hope they don't make me any flakier than I already am!!!

The main reason hairspray/ gel makes the flakes larger is that it sticks them together.( So says my derm) So the less sticky the hairspray the better, however the less sticky the spray the less it hold things in place, so lose lose. I bought a large botle of tea-tree shampoo in hopes that it might work better, but it actually made things worse. So I'm not sold. Head and shoulders works the best for me.

Wow, I ordered on November 12 and received the products on November 15! I purchased Flake Free Hairspray, Flake Free Gel, and Flake Free Lotion.

The Flake Free Gel is more like a hair cream with a dual purpose. It works like a mousse/gel but is also a scalp treatment. After washing your hair, you rub this into your scalp and hair and then style as usual. For good hold, use the Flake Free Hairspray (also has the tea tree oil in it).

I have only used this stuff once but it seems to be doing a good job. The Gel rubbed into my scalp well and is not sticky or stiff feeling. Since my hair is really thick and pretty long I can't really tell if it helps with styling. My hair is just too heavy. I can honestly say that my scalp seems to be less flaky even after the one usage. The hairspray has not caused any flare up (so far).

I will check in again in a week or so to let you know my results.

This combo has been working for me. I believe the surfactants in the Lemon Joy help dissolve the flakes. The flaking is gone after about a week of using it and my hair looks great! I am also using a new hair gel and hair spray called Flake Free and they are helping as well. The hair gel (actually it is a cream) has the zinc pyrithione and tea tree oil in it. It helps hold my style without aggravating the psoriasis. In fact it calms the scalp! Then I spray it with the Flake Free hairspray (has salicylic acid and tea tree oil in it). It holds my style very well and does not aggravate my scalp either. It ssmells a little medicinial until it dries but it has been a Godsend. This has been a winning combo for me!

** Originally posted by sebastien **

Hi i have psoriasis on the scalp'' mostly where the hair is :P
on top of my head & behind

and you wouldn't imagine what i can do with my hair most people say im so lucky to have such hair styles and (they dont even know i got psoriasis to start with)

what i use

everything the pro hair Salon uses

nothing from the pharmacies....
NEVER!!!!!
Those herbal essence , head an shoulder
don't touch those TOXIC waste!!!
Invest in something better.

What i use.

Shampoo : Iso , redken (my new addiction) + i always use the same brand conditioner to match up

Hair straightener iron ( a must) not a cheap one 100$ + ones

then i use KMS POMADE (or imported from Japan stuff):P
and then spray net to hold in place

Talam!!!!

I can get crazy hair styles with those
not everyday
but the IRON REALLY REALLY REAAAAAAAAALLLLYYY helps!

but don't overdo it since your gonna lose a lot of volume sometimes.:)

+ i got long hair.....
and i can keep it under control half of the day more less:P

hope this helps!

Update:

Been using Uncle Harry's Shampoo (Unscented) and their Natural Hair Gel (Unscented) for about a week now.

Results:

I think it is making a noticeable difference. Scaling not as thick during the day. It doesn't dry my hair out at all. Shampoo itself has a bit of a marijuana odor to it, lol (obviously from the hemp oil). Kinda watery, too, but lathers up well.

The hair gel gives my hair a little more of a greasy look, but seems to work well. Flaking and scaling have been reduced during the day. Not cleaning my collar off as often, which is a plus. Gel itself resembles a thin motor oil, but no odor.

I will update further, but as of now I like the results and will probably continue using it.

Nocam, Is the hair gel just for medicinal purposes or is it supposed to work like a styling product (and provide relief)? After your hair dries does the "weed" smell go away?

No, it is not medicinal. It's basically (as you described) supposed to work like a styling product, except one that is more natural. This is the ingredients list:

Ingredients: Purified water, apple cider vinegar, irish moss, bladderwrack, vegetable glycerine, and lavender, oregano, bay rum, wild thyme, niaoli, rosemary oils.

Actually, as far as the shampoo goes, I only smell it when actually applying the shampoo. After rinsing there isn't really any odor.

nothing from the pharmacies....
NEVER!!!!!
Those herbal essence , head an shoulder
don't touch those TOXIC waste!!!
Invest in something better.

I actually use Garnier and Head and Shoulders and they are the only shampoo and conditioner that I can use without causing irritation to my scalp, so definitely have to disagree about the "toxic waste" comment. I just need to find a good gel & mousse to use. But, then again, I also have severe hairloss so styling isn't that important to me, just keeping hair on my head is.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders