hair on legs and armpits not growing...anyone know why?

** Originally posted by peachums **

Hi guys! I have been lurking but this is my first note in a long time.

I noticed (and so did my dr) that I did not have any hair on my arms anymore!! Oh well, not a big deal. BUT- now I am noticing that I do not have to shave my armpits or legs anymore-- there is nothing there but stubble.

The hair on my head seems to be alright. I get my hair dyed and I did have
roots. I do not seem to be "shedding" any excessive hair in the shower.

Does this mean anything to anyone??

thanks..

14 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by npf_import-82999 **

What meds are you on?

I just stopped lexapro-- right before Christmas. I take darvacet and flexeril.

Could that be it?

** Originally posted by LottieBay **

Are you old enough to be going through menopause? A hormonal change can cause your body hair to stop growing. I am post menopausal, and I've stopped growing hair on my legs and underarms. There is some there, but very little.
You might ask your Dr to check your hormone levels.
Margaret

** Originally posted by npf_import-82999 **

Margaret's question was my next. The meds you are taking shouldn't affect your hair changes, but a hormonal change can.

Annie

** Originally posted by vmars **

You mean there are some pluses to menopause!!!!! :eek:

I for one wouldn't mind not having to shave so often :D
I had noticed that I didn't shave as often as before but I take mtx and I believe that can slow hair growth. Menopause could very well be the reason too since I am 44, but with my luck I won't hit menopause until 60! Start early, end late!

ain't life grand...

** Originally posted by jgirl **

I've heard hair loss could be linked to a thyroid disorder - you may want to get tested. If your hands and feet are always cold and you are fatigued often that's another sign.

** Originally posted by heatherf **

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and at one time also had post partum thryroiditis. During the post partum phase my thyroid completely shut down and I had the blessing of not having to shave my legs. Unfortunately, what led me to medical treatment to figure out my thyroid had shut down was my hair on my head was falling out at a rapid rate! So, we fixed it and I'm back to shaving my legs!

** Originally posted by creakysue **

Unless it's spreads to your head I wouldn't worry about it, Peach ;)

Since I had early menapause years ago and the hair on my head is okay-- I guess I will just enjoy 'not shaving'!!

** Originally posted by michelle21 **

Hi just read posts on here, very interestin, im just wondering weather its to do with having PA because i dont grow hair under my arms and my head hair is very brittle and sheds alot, this has been happening for years, ive never had arm pit hair yet my condition has only just been diagnosed so the question is are the meds really to blame??

** Originally posted by LottieBay **

If it can't be directly attributed to meds, then I think that it must be hormonal, no matter what your age is. You don't have to be going through menopause for hormones to be out of balance.

** Originally posted by michelle21 **

could it possibly be a link to using steroid creams for years? i started using the creams through my teenage years, dont know if therse a link tho, what do you peeps think??

** Originally posted by screamatorium **

Once I got covered in P, all my body hair turned out crinkled up. Kind of like the hair you get on scar tissue. I also have less hair in my pits now.

I dont hav an answer, but im trying to find out why my underarm hair stopped growing. Im 13, and i had armpit hair so i shaved it. Then it just stopped growing. Im looking at all these people who stop growing hair and they are all like in their 40's so im starting to wonder if something is wrong with me or if its my heredity. My mom has underarm hair and so does my dad. All of my friends think its strange and they say im lucky. My mom has like bladder infections and she has to take theriod medicine. So does that have to do with anything? Please answer my problem.. Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders