Goji berries

** Originally posted by crespo **

Anyone here eat them? I usually stay away from fruit, but goji berries are a superfood and contain an insane amount of antioxidants. Some say they even combat psoriasis.

17 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I have a bag of them next to my computer!
Never heard they were good for P....I just grab a handful to eat cause they are high in antioxidents, vitamins and minerals...the bag says 8 for a serving!
They are organic sundried!

p.s. I just did a quick search and found this...about 3/4 page down is an anecdotal response....(which in my opinion are the best :p )

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:PswoY5oxiUoJ:www.gojiberry.com/pages/t estimonial1.html+goji+berry+psoriasis&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

the goji berry I have is a berry not a juice!

this is the one I have...certified organic by NODA

maybe you meant the juice with sulfites?

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 7, 2007

Health Alert - Ongoing Recall of Garden Greens GojiSplash Goji Berry Drink
(Washington, DC) The District of Columbia Government, Department of Health issued a health alert in response to an ongoing recall of Garden Greens GojiSplash Goji Berry juice drink by the Windmill firm located in West Cawdwell, New Jersey.

The Garden Greens product is advertised as a dietary supplement that helps support youth and vitality. The original recall began on January 7, 2007 and is still in effect. The product in question contains the following information: Dietary supplement 30 servings/30 fl oz. (900 mL) plastic bottle, TC# A5821002, item N6004, UPC 3504606004, Recall # F-129-.

The product is being recalled because all lots do not identify sulfites as an ingredient. Undeclared sulfites at a level of 10.8 ppm were found during product testing. There were 39,836 bottles produced containing 30 fl oz. each. The product was distributed nationwide.

Sulfites (also sulphite) are compounds that contain the sulfite ion SO32−. They are often used as preservatives in wines (to prevent spoilage and oxidation), dried fruits, and dried potato products. Sulfites also occur naturally in almost all wines. Asthmatics and people with allergies to aspirin are at an elevated risk for reaction to sulfites. The reaction can be fatal and requires immediate treatment at an emergency room, and can include sneezing, swelling of the throat, and hives. Those who are allergic to sulfites are urged to avoid products that could contain them.

For more information as it becomes available, feel free to contact the Food Safety and Hygiene Inspection Services Division at (202) 535-2180.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:LTVeOjFUI5YJ:app.doh.dc.gov/news_room_ dsf/release.asp%3Fid%3D382%26mon%3D200703+goji+berry+recall&hl=en&ct=clnk&c d=7&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

or this

http://tinyurl.com/28z8wt

I think we better stop eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
look at these recalls!

eat fresh!

http://www.recalls.org/f03-07.htm

** Originally posted by easydoesit **

Anyone here eat them? I usually stay away from fruit, but goji berries are a superfood and contain an insane amount of antioxidants. Some say they even combat psoriasis.

A lot of the things I've read mention that they boost your immune system and as someone with P and PA I always avoid such things.

I didn't see where they boost the immune system....only that they strengthen the system....

<CENTER>How Goji Berries Strengthen Your Immune System</CENTER>

For more than 2,000 years, goji berries have been a staple remedy of traditional Chinese medicine. Known as the "longevity fruit," these small red berries also have unique immune-enhancing properties.
Your Immune System
Your body's immune system keeps you healthy by stopping foreign invaders, such as bacteria, viruses and carcinogens, from causing damage. It can malfunction in two ways. It can allow pathogens to attack, such as a cold virus. Or, it can mistakenly assume that some part of the body is an invader, attacking it and causing auto-immune disorders, such as:

*allergies
*cancer
*multiple sclerosis
*skin rashes or blisters
*joint pain or stiffness
*thyroid malfunction that results in tiredness, weight gain, sensitivity to cold or muscle aches
*ulcerative colitis
*rheumatoid arthritis
*type 1 diabetes
*lupus
*celiac disease

<CENTER>Disease-Resisting Compounds in Goji Berries</CENTER>

Goji berries contain unique compounds known as Lycium barbarum polysaccharides, most often referred to as polysaccharides. Research has shown that these compounds enhance the body's ability to resist disease. Goji's polysaccharides have a chemical structure similar to substances found in echinacea and maitake mushrooms, herbs known for their ability to support a healthy immune system.

The berries are also a rich source of vitamin C and zinc, both of which are known to protect against disease and aid in recovery. Research at Case Western Reserve University has shown that zinc can shorten the length and severity of a cold. Zinc deficiencies are more likely to occur as we age and produce less stomach acid.

<CENTER>Vitamin C, an antioxidant, is needed for: </CENTER>

growth and repair of all human tissues
formation of collagen in skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments and blood vessels
wound healing
healthy cartilage, bones and teeth

<CENTER>Zinc, also an antioxidant, is needed for: </CENTER>

*regulation of appetite, taste and smell
*controlling stress
*normal growth and function
*healthy reproductive function in men and women

<CENTER>Auto-Immune Disorders</CENTER>

Immune cells are like guards that constantly police our bodies, looking for harmful intruders and attacking any they find. Problems arise when the immune cells misidentify healthy cells as invaders and attack these, essentially making the body turn on itself and triggering auto-immune disease. One in five Americans suffer from an auto-immune disease. Three out of four are women.

Goji berries help the immune system to distinguish more effectively between friend and foe. The fruit's polysaccharides provide cells with special sugars that support healthy immunity and enable cells to communicate more effectively with each other.

Author and pharmacist Earl Mindell calls goji's polysaccharides "master molecules" because they "command and control many of the body's most important biochemical defense systems."

<CENTER>Friendly Intestinal Bacteria</CENTER>

Goji berries also support healthy immunity by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in our gastrointestinal system. The fruit's combination of fiber content and polysaccharides naturally supports the growth of healthy intestinal bacteria, known as probiotics.

Probiotics have numerous benefits, including:

...enhancing the function of the immune system
...protecting against unhealthy bacteria that cause disease
...aiding in the digestive process
...reducing symptoms of digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome
...helping in recovery from respiratory infections
...reducing the risk of allergies, including respiratory symptoms and allergic skin reactions

<CENTER>Healthy Proteins</CENTER>
The protein in goji berries, which makes up 16 percent of the fruit, contains two key amino acids that support the immune system: l-arginine and l-glutamine. Both of these are building blocks for healthy immunity and work to reduce inflammation.

<CENTER>Research Findings</CENTER>

For some time, scientists in China have been examining how goji berries work. In one study, after 50 people ate approximately 1.5 ounces of goji berries daily for 10 days, their white blood cell counts and other markers of healthy immune function improved.

Other studies have analyzed various actions of goji berries in test-tube and animal trials, and have found that the berries:

...increased non-inflammatory immune cells that guard against bacteria and cancer
...reduced inflammation and may be helpful in treating inflammatory diseases
...inhibited symptoms of swelling and rheumatoid arthritis
...enhanced immunity
...may improve resistance to cancer cell growth

<CENTER>Allergies</CENTER>

Allergies occur as a result of some type of malfunction in the immune system, and can be triggered by many different substances in the environment, including food ingredients. In Asian medicine, they are traditionally treated with remedies designed to balance the immune system, rather than suppressing symptoms with medications.

In Asia, goji berries have traditionally been used as a therapy for allergies. Chinese scientists have observed that the fruit reduces antibodies that are generated in response to an allergen. In addition, the polysaccharides in goji are believed to enhance normal function of the immune system. The net effect is a restoration of healthy immune function.

<CENTER>Cancer</CENTER>
A healthy immune system is able to defend against the spread of mutated, cancerous cells. The immune system's natural killer cells are designed to target abnormal cells that develop into cancers. However, if the immune system is not able to do its job or attacks the body, the defense system breaks down and sets the stage for cancer growth.

Goji berries contain germanium, a mineral that is believed to have anti-cancer properties. In addition, its polysaccharides and antioxidants are believed to protect against free radicals that promote cancer and help to prevent cancer from developing.

Chinese studies show that goji berries inhibit some of the gene mutations that lead to cancer and that the fruit has anti-tumor properties. In addition, the berries may also help with the side effects of chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer.

lots of hype on the net...maybe this years miracle???

http://health.howstuffworks.com/goji-berry4.htm

boost/strengthen, same thing. Mine is already too strong.

People with autoimmune disorders such as Psoriasis have overactive immune systems.

Here's Dr. Weil on Goji Berries:

Goji berries and the juice made from them seem to be the latest rage among those who think a single food can accomplish nutritional miracles. Goji berries are being promoted as the most nutritionally dense food on earth, packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The health claims being made for them and their juice are wide-ranging: anti-aging effects; implied benefits in the prevention and treatment of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, digestive problems; and, of course, they're being touted as a means of weight loss and weight control, always a sure-fire way to attract customers. Although promoters mention "studies" that supposedly support these effects, no specific scientific studies were cited on any of the several Web sites I visited to learn more about goji berries. In a search of peer-reviewed medical literature, I found no studies at all on goji berries.

I've heard similar health claims, many times before, for other products, none of which has proved over the years to be the great secret to good health and longevity. Goji juice is expensive - about $30 per half liter (18 ounces). If you follow recommendations to drink four ounces a day, a month's supply will cost you about $200, a high price to pay for an unproven product.
advertisement

In addition to my doubts about the unsupported health claims, I am prejudiced against the multi-level marketing through which goji juice and goji berries are sold - you can buy them only through distributors who make money not only through their own sales but those of the people they recruit. My advice? Save your money and bank on proven nutritional strategies to optimize your health.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

boost/strengthen, same thing. Mine is already too strong.

People with autoimmune disorders such as Psoriasis have overactive immune systems.

maybe we're going about this all wrong....we could be eating the wrong foods?

Boost your body's immune system
Super foods help combat an assortment of ailments
By Cheryl Embrett

One of the best prescriptions for good health is also one of the easiest to follow: Watch what you eat. Every day, new studies prove that eating the right foods regularly can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease, banish the blues and increase energy and vitality. Here are 10 nutrient-packed "super foods" that should top everyone's grocery list.

1. Broccoli
This is one mean green! Broccoli is chock-full of the phytochemical sulforaphane, which has been making headlines because of its potent anti-cancer properties. It's also a rich source of beta-carotene (good for the eyes and immune system, among other things), fibre and vitamin C.

Toronto registered dietitian and author Liz Pearson was so convinced of the health benefits of this "King of Cruciferous Vegetables," that she called her first book When in Doubt, Eat Broccoli!: But Leave Some Room for Chocolate (Penguin Books, 1998). For fast, easy and delicious ways to add more vegetables — including broccoli — to your diet, visit 5 to 10 a day.

2. Blueberries
If you haven't gone blueberry picking since you were a kid, here's a reason to start again. In a peer-reviewed study of 100 common fruits, vegetables and nuts, presented in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, these little blue jewels had one of the highest antioxidant capacities (the ability to combat cell-damaging free radicals that can lead to heart disease and cancer). And, like cranberries, they appear to fight off urinary-tract infections by preventing E. coli bacteria from sticking to cells in the urinary tract.

John Stanton, president of the Running Room Canada, says he always starts his day with a big bowl of fresh fruit, including blueberries when they're in season. "It's light, it's healthy, and then I'm ready to run." For more on the power of blue, including tasty recipes for everything from wild blueberry chicken breasts to blueberry sorbet, check out Wild Blueberries.

3. Flax
"Ground flaxseed is the one thing I make sure I eat every day," says Mairlyn Smith, co-author of The Ultimate Healthy Eating Plan: That Still Leaves Room for Chocolate (Whitecap Books, 2002). Smith says flax is a great source of both soluble and insoluble fibre (which makes it a natural laxative), as well as plant lignans, which may reduce the risk of developing hormone-sensitive cancers, such as prostate and breast cancer. Flaxseed is also high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to protect against heart disease. She eats a flaxseed muffin or sprinkles a tablespoon of ground flaxseed on her cereal every day. For more information on the health benefits of flax, including delicious ways to cook with it, visit the Flax Council of Canada.

4. Garlic
Since ancient times, physicians have used the "stinking rose" to treat a number of health conditions, including heart disease. Garlic contains allicin, a phytochemical that may lower cholesterol and make blood platelets less sticky, cutting the risk of clots. Mississauga, Ont., naturopath Rana Singh swears by the immune-boosting, cold-fighting power of the humble garlic bulb. He recommends chopping or crushing two or three cloves of fresh, raw garlic and adding it to whatever you're eating. For information on the health benefits of garlic and great ways to cook with it, visit The Garlic Information Centre and Garlic Sleuth. (Note: Consult your doctor before including more garlic than is customary in your diet.)

5. Green tea
Green tea is loaded with powerful antioxidants, which may protect against cell damage that leads to aging, and help prevent heart disease and cancer. Green tea contains a polyphenol known as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg), which in animal tests has been shown to prevent the formation of tumors. Researchers at Purdue University found in laboratory tests that EGCg killed human breast cancer cells but did not kill noncancerous human breast cells.

Paulette Bourgeois, author of the Franklin the Turtle series of kids' books, drinks green tea several times a day. "It's not only healthy, it's soothing," she says. For more information on the health benefits of tea, visit the Tea Council of Canada.

6. Skim milk
"The one food I consciously remind myself to consume and monitor regularly is milk, since I know that I may not drink enough of it in the course of my regular routine to keep my bones strong," says food writer and cookbook author Dana McCauley. She's not alone. Most women don't get enough calcium, and one in four white (rate is lower in black and Hispanic women) women will develop osteoporosis. Studies have found that increasing your calcium intake can also help relieve the symptoms of PMS.

To meet your daily quota, reach for three servings of milk or milk products. After a tough workout, make it low-fat chocolate milk, advises McGill University fitness coordinator Jill Barker. "It has the requisite amount of carbs and protein needed to promote optimal recovery in the working muscles." Visit the Dairy Farmers of Canada for more tips on adding calcium to your diet.

7. Salmon
Fresh or canned salmon is one of the best sources of the celebrated Omega-3 fatty acids, which can help prevent heart attacks. Studies have also shown that Omega-3 may have the ability to offset depression, as well as protect against inflammatory diseases such as arthritis. "I try to eat salmon twice a week, as do my kids," says nutritionist Rosie Schwartz, author of The Enlightened Eater's Whole Foods Guide.

Concerned about recent reports of high PCB levels in farmed salmon? Click here to read a recent article from Health Canada's website.

8. Soy
Protein is one of the nutrients that most women don't get enough of — they should have a protein-rich food every three to four hours during the day to keep energized, says dietitian Linda Barton. "Soy is perfect since it's a plant-based protein that's low in saturated fat." Soybeans and soy protein products, including tofu, miso, tempeh and soy drinks, also contain phytoestrogens that may slow the growth of some cancers, lower cholesterol and offer some protection against osteoporosis. Visit the Soyfoods Association of North America for more information and recipes.

9. Spinach
When asked to name one of her favourite super foods, Toronto registered dietician Leslie Beck praises spinach. It's loaded with energy-promoting iron and folate, a B vitamin that prevents neural-tube defects in the fetus. It is also important in red blood cell formation, protein metabolism, growth and cell division. The leafy green is also one of the best sources of lutein, an antioxidant that benefits eye, skin and cardiovascular health. For more information on the health benefits of spinach, visit Wholehealthmd.com.

10. Tomatoes
Research has found that tomatoes, especially cooked or processed ones, can lower the risk of some cancers and heart disease. Experts attribute this to lycopene, a potent antioxidant and the pigment that makes tomatoes red. A Harvard University study found that men who regularly ate tomato-based foods had lower rates of prostate cancer.

"We love tomatoes," says Diane Clement, who founded the popular Tomato Fresh Food Cafe in Vancouver. She and her husband, Dr. Doug Clement (both former Olympic athletes), start their evening meal with their favourite tomato and bocconcini cheese salad. "The juicy tomatoes, loaded with lycopenes galore, are the perfect healthy jumpstart for any BODY," she says. For more nutrition facts and recipes, visit California Tomatoes.

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/healthandwellness/2.2.25_boostyourbody simmunesystem.aspx

and here are some foods that boost the immune system.....

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042500.asp

** Originally posted by nesielheum **

...Anyway, I love dried fruit and I love the kinda sweet-sour taste that the goji berry promises.....I just don't like the price of nearly $16 a pound that I'm seeing on the web. They all seem to be linked with pyramid scheme.
Can anyone help me out?

I think what you are looking for is a domestic berry...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranberry
Ah...There is no place like home, NJ, to find some of the freshest, healthiest food grown on this Earth. :)

** Originally posted by crespo **

Has anyone found a reliable, affordable source of these berries? I'm not eliminating nightshades from my diet, so no worry there. It's just that I love discovering a new fruit :D ( or veggie for that matter-mother nature needs to come up with a new veggies LOL!! I was cooking my tofu stir-fry tonight and I'm out of NEW veggie ideas) :p .
Anyway, I love dried fruit and I love the kinda sweet-sour taste that the goji berry promises.....I just don't like the price of nearly $16 a pound that I'm seeing on the web. They all seem to be linked with pyramid scheme.
Can anyone help me out?

This company seems legit at $11/lb @ 5lbs: http://www.juicing.com/gojiberries.htm

They show you their step by step factory process if you click the hyperlink in the right column.

** Originally posted by polygraem **

I would research the source & production of the dried berries and juice u r purchasing, I choose to buy my juice thru Freelife and NO its not a Pyramid scheme.... at least i have guarantee on the quality and the product that when i open my bottle it will still be a live food just as good as straight from the vine....
I have seen reports on dried berries being full for red dye, and is dried food really nutritional a lot of the nutrients has been lost.
I have heard people take dried berries soak them in water and the bottle it and sell it for the same price as the one u can buy off a reputable company....
do some research into these companies and the product try it then rip it to pieces that’s how i educate my self....

oh as for the Dr Weil, Goji is the face name for Lycium Barbarum which is its scientific or botanical name. You might find what all the hype is about when u have the correct info...

happy searching potential customers

** Originally posted by WordlessLyrics **

It seems that the previous poster of Dr. Weil's thoughts on goji berries was edited and the context was changed. I found the whole response on his website and am reposting it here. He does promote the nutritional value of the berry.

Also, it is my opinion that it is not an immune system that is "too strong" but is "misdirected" that causes auto immune diseases, and getting it back on the right track has to be beneficial to overall health. If eating good, nutrient rich foods can improve the balance and functioning of our bodies and bring us better health, it is certainly worth looking into.

I know I have spent a lot of money on Dr. visits and prescriptions and am willing to do this to relieve the effects of P, so why not look into and invest a little research and money into more holistic methods that can be much friendlier to the body and our health and well-being? I love living in an age and civilization where we can become more informed, and have the opportunity to make conscious choices for our lives.

Goji: A Miracle Health Drink?

Are you familiar with Himalayan Goji Juice? I have heard many health claims, including strong anti-aging effects for goji berries.
A
Answer (Published 7/1/2005)

Updated November 2008

Goji berries seem to be the continuing rage among those who think a single food can accomplish nutritional miracles. The health claims being made for them and their juice are wide-ranging: anti-aging effects; implied benefits in the prevention and treatment of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, digestive problems; and, of course, weight loss, always a sure-fire way to attract customers. Although promoters mention "studies" that supposedly support these effects, to my knowledge no scientific studies investigating specific actions against disease have been published in peer-reviewed journals.

However, the fruit in question does have nutritional virtues. What’s now generally called the goji berry is actually the wolfberry, Lycium barbarum L., a tart, reddish-orange fruit grown in central China (not, it appears, the Himalayas) for more than 2,000 years. It has exceptional nutrient density, and is especially rich in carotenoids including beta-carotene and lycopene. A report in the winter, 2004 issue of The Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association concluded that wolfberry juice has "high levels of antioxidants" and showed "beneficial immunomodulatory [immune-boosting] effects in mice."

So goji berries may be a worthwhile addition to a healthy diet if you enjoy their taste. On the other hand, goji juice is expensive - about $30 per half liter (18 ounces). If you follow recommendations to drink four ounces a day, a month's supply will cost you about $200, a high price to pay for nutrients that you can get from much less expensive fruits and vegetables such as familiar berries, tomatoes, and dark, leafy greens. In addition to my doubts about the unsupported health claims, I am prejudiced against the multi-level marketing through which goji products are sometimes sold. In these schemes, you buy them from distributors who make money not only through their own sales but those of the people they recruit.

My advice? If you are so inclined, consume goji berries or juice purchased from natural foods stores as a healthful, exotic treat. Don’t view them as a miraculous substitute for an anti-inflammatory diet and a sensible lifestyle that includes exercise and stress-reduction.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

** Originally posted by MegD **

This is very interesting...I'm going to ask my doctor about it on Wednesday. And will let you know what he tells me.

** Originally posted by kptruck **

A lot of the things I've read mention that they boost your immune system and as someone with P and PA I always avoid such things.

Why wouldnt you want your immune system to have a boost? Seems to me its our lack of good immune system that causes a lot of our problems.

** Originally posted by spottedcat83 **

...Also, it is my opinion that it is not an immune system that is "too strong" but is "misdirected" that causes auto immune diseases, and getting it back on the right track has to be beneficial to overall health. If eating good, nutrient rich foods can improve the balance and functioning of our bodies and bring us better health, it is certainly worth looking into.

My feelings also. A strong immune system keeps us from getting ill. A misdirected immune disorder not only gets rid of the bad stuff, but attacks the body as well. Getting sick all the time doesn't help psoriasis. And healthy food is good for us.

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

The reasoning is that when you have psoraisis and psoriatic arthritis your immune system is "overactive"--it is doing MORE than it need to. Your skin is repairing/replacing itself at a fast pace even without any trauma. In the case of PA, your immune system is attacking your own joints and tendons in the absence of an infection. Whether or not you take a biologic, it is interesting to note that they work by somewhat suppressing the immune system. This is why some people with P and PA avoid anything that is advertised to BOOST your immune system. Calming it down is more likely to reduce symptoms.

** Originally posted by Sarah29 **

I've been a silent reader for the last two years and finally decided to join. I'd like to say Hi and I hope to get to know all of you.

I am not sure if I believe that Psoriasis is the result of an overactive immune system.
In my opinion, a weak or distressed immune system can make a person more susceptible to Psoriasis.

For me this is why strengthening my immunity is important. I have incorporated probiotics, fruits, vegetables, proteins, fats and carbohydrates in my diet to boost my immune system. In addition, I am also getting a minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep and keeping myself hydrated by drinking lots of water. I also eliminated all processed foods. As a result, my p has calmed down and cleared up to 90% so far.

As for Goji Berries, I have tried both the juice and dried fruit. I took the juice for 6 months and noticed some improvement but I was also on a clean eat diet and exercised etc so I am not sure if I can give Goji berries all the credit.

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

That sounds like a practical and straightforward plan to improve your overall health. I was thinking of other threads where people suggested using particular supplements that are said to "boost" your immune system. (Although you may not agree, the overactive immune system take on P and PA is the prevailing one from a scientific POV.)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders