ginger, ginger, ginger

all i know is i was in bad pain, for two years, had been on paquillnel for over a year. Then one day I started taking ginger suppluments (two 325caps in morning and night)all i know is after about two weeks iam pain free and working out again, however i keep the weight i work with down. May be iam crazy but what else could it be. Please anyone else had this experience.

17 replies. Join the discussion

wow that's good to know.. i've added a plethora of supplements to my meds. i take msm, glucosomine, fish oil, vitamin d, and a daily vitamin as needed. the greatest thing i can share that has helped is eliminating wheat gluten and dairy from my diet. that alone reduced the swelling in my knuckles while my meds couldn't. i still have awful wrist pain and swelling that i battle; hence, that is why i am here in this forum. however, trying to take on a raw diet here pretty soon in hopes that it might be the trick.
any other remedies that you've actually witness work before your eyes??

Interestingly, I have been off gluten and dairy for about 10 months now and I believe it has really helped my skin. I still need the heavy duty meds but believe this helps along with the meds. I have never had this much success before. I know ginger is a natural antinflammatory and have been meaning to add this to my list. There are whole antinflammatory diets out there. Let me know how you are doing both of you :)

Whenever I have an achi joint I take ginger or Zyflamend by New Chapter, look it up on the internet, its good stuff for inflammation

joyfulrose- i also still need heavy meds. However, after about 3 mths of gluten/dairy free, the swelling in my hands went down significantly. I don't get why it's taken me 15 yrs to come to this realization! western med is so messed up! doctors seem to know nothing about how nutrition affects inflammation. I've done all the research myself. The meds just keep my arthritis under control, but it's my diet that can cause or cure a flare. I need to get some ginger in my diet!!

The oddness of this disease. I've never had a single issue with diet, Sunstreakedlight, maybe because there's really nothing I wouldn't eat anyway. But, I can forecast the weather with my flares. There seems to be a direct correlation between my PsA and the barometric pressure.

Hello

Things like ginger and curcumin are extremely well-known for helping to reduce inflammation.

They are powerful anti-inflammatory spices that have been used in traditional medicine to treat (autoimmune) diseases for thousands of years.

There is a famous ginger supplement whose sole aim is directly marketed towards reducing the pain in arthritis sufferers.

As others have already said, avoiding inflammatory foods can help (i.e.) certain red meats, processed sandwich meats, sugar, processed foods, wheat, gluten, dairy, etc.......

Avoiding these acidic foods, can in some cases significantly reduce the soreness, stiffness and pain associated with PA, even if you are taking drugs.

By the same token, adding well-known anti-inflammatory foods into your daily diet can also have great benefit in many cases.

I don’t take ginger supplements, but I do add a knob of fresh ginger root to my juices and smoothies every day.

I find ginger good for reducing the severity of colds and flu - so those supplements you are taking may have an added bonus for you in flu season too.

Here is an interesting article I saw the other day:

Before you bite into a wagyu burger here’s some food for thought. Last year when researchers looked at how the body reacts after either a meal of kangaroo or wagyu beef there was an intriguing difference: compared to the kangaroo, the wagyu meal appeared to prod the immune system into action, triggering the release of inflammatory chemicals.

Why bother comparing kangaroo with wagyu?

“Because kangaroo mimics the kind of wild meat that humans ate for thousands of years,” explains Dr Gary Egger, Professor of Lifestyle Medicine at Lismore’s Southern Cross University, and one of the researchers. “It’s meat from lean animals that run around and eat grass. Wagyu on the other hand is relatively new to the food supply and an example of modern meat from modern animals that are less active and often fed on grain."

It’s too soon to say whether this might matter to our health, but the kangaroo versus wagyu experiment is the first of more proposed studies at Southern Cross University to see if food with a high ‘Human Interference Factor’ is fuelling chronic inflammation, a problem now linked to heart disease, diabetes and other chronic diseases including asthma, Alzheimer’s disease and possibly cancer. Other examples of old versus new foods on the researchers’ list are brown rice versus refined white rice, whole soybean flour versus processed soy isolate, and wholegrain flour versus white.

Inflammation is the immune system’s defence mechanism – and when it erupts on injured skin with redness and swelling it’s a sign that that your body’s repairing itself. But scientists now think there’s also a kind of low level inflammation smouldering inside the body that isn’t so healthy. Unlike the acute inflammation that helps heal a wound, chronic inflammation doesn’t switch off - and Egger thinks our modern lifestyle is the reason why.

Eating a western diet, stress, smoking, inactivity and skimping on sleep, have all been linked to chronic inflammation. And while all these habits have been part and parcel of industrialised societies for years, in the big picture of human evolution they’re new assaults on the body – so our immune system treats them like foreign invaders, he says.

“Modern lifestyles seem enough to cause an inflammatory reaction - it’s as if the immune system is programmed to react to activities in the same way as it does to microbes, but at a lower more chronic level,” Egger explains.

One example of where the immune system gets it wrong is in the blood vessels where it tries to defend the arteries against ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol, but in doing so ends up thickening the artery walls – and contributing to hardened arteries.

So how can we live in an industrialised world and still keep inflammation at bay?

“Getting more sleep is part of it. Humans have never had such short sleep cycles as we do now,” Garry Egger points out. “We’re also walking about 15 kilometres less each day than we did 150 years ago. We can’t go back to doing that so we need to have institutionalised exercise to make up for it.”

We also need to choose foods that are less likely to provoke inflammation, and a number of studies point to a traditional Mediterranean style diet - big on plant foods and including olive oil, fish and nuts – as having an anti-inflammatory effect.

The kind of carbs we eat matters too. Garry Egger suggests that lowering inflammation is another argument for low GI carbohydrates which are generally anti-inflammatory – there’s some evidence that blood sugar spikes from rapidly digested high GI carbs can trigger inflammatory chemicals.

So Red meat can contribute to pain in some people.

If you cannot stand the thought of giving up red meat to reduce pain, maybe you only have to give up certain red meats, as per the example of wagyu beef versus kangaroo.

I find that white meat such as chicken flares up my P, but white wild caught fish doesn’t.

Lots of people find that farmed salmon causes P flares, but wild caught salmon doesn’t.

DottieD knows a lot about the subject, from memory I think it has something to do with what overcrowded farmed fish are fed on (grain pellets) and antibiotics/pesticides in the fish and water - whereas, wild salmon live in relatively clean water, and eat a natural diet.

A study I have posted on here before found that inflammation in the body could be caused by how you cook your food (i.e.) grilling, baking, frying and boiling contributed to pain, but raw and steamed food did not.

So perhaps instead of eating fried beef sausages........ you could swap to steamed wild caught fish instead.

It all may help to reduce the inflammation and pain in your body, along with the ginger supplements and drugs.

This is all very interesting, thank you for posting your question and all the great answers. I know I make Ginger tea from fresh Ginger to combat nausea, works like a charm.

good info. heard that in some countries people take boiled "Coke" with ginger for nausea. God bless, R ;)

Ohh, that sounds absolutely disgusting.

But NOT a good idea for arthritis sufferers, since refined sugar and artificial sweeteners are highly acidic to the body

Best place for coke is down the drain – cleans it up a treat!

realtor...how do you make the ginger tea?? thanks Dale

Wow! Really good info everyone!

Going to start taking Cucmerin this week. Will add ginger in the next two weeks or so. Really want to get off the pain meds. They're making me crazy!

~Renee

Another thing to consider when going on an anti-inflammatory diet ,is they have now found there is a connection between Alzheimer's disease and inflammation.I know psoriasis is a shi**ty thing to have,but the thought of turning into a zombie really scares the hell out of me.Here is a little article about the connection.There is a lot of irritating ads,but my favorite dr is at the end http://www.aboutalzheimersinfo.info/the-role-inflammation-plays-in-alzheime rs-disease

Hi bdg358, what is the name and brand of the ginger supplement you take?Thank you! I may add it to my regimen as I have pain in my wrists these days.

Ok , I started drinking fresh ginger in hot water as a form of tea with just a little honey and it is delicious. I had no idea until I looked it up that it can help with so much then I found this post and thought it should come back around with so many questions on natural treatment. So I hope to all that read this thread they have good luck I'm a believer.

Ginger is like green tea, a beneficial natural product for many things for body and a staple food in Korea.

I'm going to start drinking it in the morning and at night and see what changes I start to feel. Does anyone know how much to put in each cup? I just cut and peeled two big hunks and poured hot water over and covered my cup with a saucer. I believe one day on the Michael Savage talk show he said to cover your tea to retain all the properties not sure how that works but I have been doing that as well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders