Getting ready for a stress test.

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

Going for a stress test this morning. I'm really nervous. I'm afraid I wont be able to do it because of the PsA. The last flair i had left my knees and ankles feeling a little weak. I told the heart doc i had PsA and he was like "no big deal, you'll do fine". Plus, I havn't excercised in ages, so i'm of course afraid of having a heat attack! :(

42 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

...Wearing a 30 day heart monitor...

Oh man, I feel for you! Use a pillow on that side so you don't roll over on the darned thing in your sleep - it'll feel like someone stuck a barbeque fork in your ribs.

Oh man, I feel for you! Use a pillow on that side so you don't roll over on the darned thing in your sleep - it'll feel like someone stuck a barbeque fork in your ribs.

I take it off when I sleep. They asked if my symptoms ever woke me up at night. I said no, so they said I could take it off when I sleep. What i'm worried about is work. I have to wear a bullet proof vest thats cumbersome enough as it is. The electrods wont help that any. :(

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

Ranger, you a cop or a soldier?? You might try a cushioning piece of gauze or cottonball between the electrode and your shirt... might help a little. Very nice that you don't have to sleep in the darn thing! My mom had to wear a holter for like 2 days and that was enough to drive her batty!!! lol

Ranger, you a cop or a soldier?? You might try a cushioning piece of gauze or cottonball between the electrode and your shirt... might help a little. Very nice that you don't have to sleep in the darn thing! My mom had to wear a holter for like 2 days and that was enough to drive her batty!!! lol

Security Officer at a Pharmacuetical Co. Used to be a cop though. :)

** Originally posted by ginnylee **

Hmmm....bullet-proof vest and a heart monitor. Just make sure everyone knows it's not a bomb! LOL! :D;)

Hmmm....bullet-proof vest and a heart monitor. Just make sure everyone knows it's not a bomb! LOL! :D;)

LOL, thats true! I'm actually worried about wearing it with the wire hanging out. Trying to figure out a way to hide the whole thing, but I don't think I can. It's like a big pager with a wire attached.

...It's like a big pager with a wire attached.

Yes it is. Lucky you not having to wear the darned thing at night, you got off light. Best of luck - the best thing that can happen is that it turns out to be a total waste of time and money, and I mean that sincerely.

Oh, duh! That's right, I knew that... does that mean you get a discount on your meds? lol

Oh, duh! That's right, I knew that... does that mean you get a discount on your meds? lol

Any med we make is free to employees. But all my meds are already free beings they are generic.

Just got an update from the heart doc. They called to set up my echocardiagram and gave me the results of my stress test. They said my palpitations were trigeminy (occuring every 3rd beat). Everything else on the stress test was normal.

Well this thing is starting to drive me crazy. It's been fairly quite to this point. Only picking up a few episodes. But tonight it's gone crazy! Just phoned in my 12th recording of the night. Thats good I guess. They will have plenty to analyze when I turn it back in.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wearing a heart monitor. Frankly, THAT is the true "stress test." It drove me flat nuts... I couldn't wait to rip the dang thing off.

Got like 15 more recordings last night so I just unplugged the damn thing! It only holds 4 at a time so I gotta transmit them every time it's full. I'm gonna call the doc Mocday and ask if 30 days is really necessary. I've aready called in probably 30+ of them. Hopefully thats enough. Flycaster, what was the verdict on your palpitations? Did you have to take any meds for it? Did they go away?

Ranger05, they found nothing extra-ordinary in any of my recordings so everyone just shrugged their shoulders, said "We don't THINK there's anything to worry about", and told me to carry on; the blood work and the rest of the work-up both came back negative as well. IIRC, that was about 20 years ago.

I still get them from time to time, along with racing heart. I figure if it's my time, it's my time, I just don't want it to happen due to stupid behavioral choice...I'd rather keep working out, enjoy life, and go down swinging. :)

Ranger05, they found nothing extra-ordinary in any of my recordings so everyone just shrugged their shoulders, said "We don't THINK there's anything to worry about", and told me to carry on; the blood work and the rest of the work-up both came back negative as well. IIRC, that was about 20 years ago.

I still get them from time to time, along with racing heart. I figure if it's my time, it's my time, I just don't want it to happen due to stupid behavioral choice...I'd rather keep working out, enjoy life, and go down swinging. :)

Thats kinda what I figure. Most everything I read on the internet says they are completely benign once heart disease is ruled out. I need to start eating better and excercising more anyways, maybe this will motivate me. Beer on the other hand, thats not going anywhere! Smoking, well thats just an absurd habit I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to do, so thats not a problem with me.

Good man. Replace obvious behavioral negatives with better habits (though as I've said before, right action is often the toughest choice), medicate conservatively and appropriately, and then let the chips fall where they may. Also, I think you will find that you will feel a whole lot better once you start getting more exercise - it sure makes a huge difference in the way I feel.

Good man. Replace obvious behavioral negatives with better habits (though as I've said before, right action is often the toughest choice), medicate conservatively and appropriately, and then let the chips fall where they may. Also, I think you will find that you will feel a whole lot better once you start getting more exercise - it sure makes a huge difference in the way I feel.

Speaking of exercise, i'm actually scared to do much of that now. I mean, I know that palpitations and and a rapid heartbeat can be bad news right? What if I have the palpitations while exercising?? Actually, it's almost certain I will have them when I excerise bacause I had a ton of them when I was done with the treadmill test.

** Originally posted by kingab **

I have PSA in my feet and could not walk on a treadmill to raise my heartrate if my life depended on it, which is why I go to a gym where they have elliptical trainers, rowing machines, and arc-trainers (like a X country ski machine). Do any stress test facilities have these kinds of equipment. I often wonder if I will ever need a stress test, how will I manage.

Kinga

I have PSA in my feet and could not walk on a treadmill to raise my heartrate if my life depended on it, which is why I go to a gym where they have elliptical trainers, rowing machines, and arc-trainers (like a X country ski machine). Do any stress test facilities have these kinds of equipment. I often wonder if I will ever need a stress test, how will I manage.

Kinga

They can give you a shot of some kind to increase your heart rate to the target beat.

As long as the cardiologist signs you off, try not to worry about the palps unless they change somehow... my gr'father had them for many, many years... had a heart valve replaced that lasted 40 when it was only supposed to last 10... lived a completely normal life, including camping, horseback riding, a job that included heavy manual labor, etc. If the experts say don't worry, try not to :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders