Fumaric Acid Supplements?

** Originally posted by sulli21282 **

Has anyone tried taking fumaric acid supplements for the treatment of their psoriasis?

My grandfather subscribes to Dr. David G. Williams' Alternatives for the Health Conscious Individual, which what I believe is a phamplet that is mailed to him full of medical myths and alternative treatments.

Dr. Williams' has an article titled "Psoriasis Isn't A Skin Disease and the real cause is curable". He claims that P is actually a metabolic defect that shows up in every cell of your body. That the cells of P sufferers can't produce enough of a key compound called fumaric acid. Without fumaric acid, your cell 'factories' go a bit haywire. They start manufacturing chemicals that irritate your skin. Result, Psoriasis.

"This explains why summer sunlight often helps people with P. Sunlight helps your cells produce a little more fumaric acid. But the effect is too slight to give lasting relief."

"Fumaric acid supplements, combined with a few dietary changes, have given astonishing results in numerous clinical studies to date. In one such study, 4 out of 5 patients saw dramatic relief, with quite a few experiencing...'complete and long-lasting disappearance of lesions'. For as long as they kept up the regimen, they were effectively cured (Br J Dermatol 05; 152 (4):597-615) (Br J Dermatol 98;138 (3):456-460) (Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 85;129 (11):485-486)."

"Fumaric acid is very safe and the side effects are mild. You may experience a tingling or flushing sensation in your skin for a bit after you take it."

"Be sure to combine the supplements with...diet changes... That's what worked in the clinical studies. You could see results in as little as a week."

Dr. David G. Williams Alternatives for the Health-Conscious Individual
Alternatives
Mountain Home Publishing
PO Box 3262
Lancaster, PA 17604

I merely am providing all this information as a cite. This may very well be just a scheme to get money because all over this phamplet is information on how to buy Dr. Williams' books.

But my grandfather keeps throwing this information out at me and I wanted to come on here and see what others had to say about this.

Look forward to your responses.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders