Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid

** Originally posted by MegD **

I have been on a holistic detox treatment for 4 weeks now, and it's incredible how much it has helped me. My psoriasis is so much better and my body feels better in general. I've lost 25 pounds of toxins and healthy fat loss, and I just feel wonderful. You can read more about my diet course in a post I have in the Teens section...

My doctor gave me a list of foods that you should eat (as of now, I am eating ONLY these), and foods that you should avoid because they "are either nutrient poor, promote blood sugar problems, stimulate chronic inflammation, add to our toxic load, deplete our antioxidant reserves, or evoke a food allergy immune reaction."

I thought I would share it with everyone. :)

FOODS TO EAT
- Fruits: (All fresh and organic) Cherries, berries, peaches, apples, plums, apricots, lemon
- Vegetables: (All fresh and organic) (Raw, steamed, juiced or roasted) Asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, swiss chard, cucumber, lettuce, yellow squash, spinach, watercress, radishes, string beans, beets, brussels sprouts, chives, collards, kale, leeks, parsley, zucchini
- Seeds, Nuts, Nut butter: (Raw and unsalted) Almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame (tahini), walnuts, pecans, flaxseed, macadamia.
- Beans, Legumes: (Not canned!) lentils, split peas, kidney beans, lima beans, fava beans
- Animal Protein: Fresh cold water fish (Especially: Pacific or Alaskan wild salmon, sardines in olive oil, freshwater trout, snapper, haddock, flounder, ocean perch, sole; Organic or free range chicken and turkey
- Dairy Products: unsweetened coconut milk
- Oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, organic clarified butter(ghee)
- Beverages: pure water, organic fresh-made vegetable or fruit juice, caffeine free(not decaffeinated) herbal tea, green tea (one serving/day)

FOODS TO AVOID:
- Fruits: Syrup packed canned fruit, unripe fruit, overripe fruit; jams, jellies, syrups, sweetened fruit drinks, fruit-ades
- Vegetables: canned, creamed vegetables, unripe vegetables like green tomatoes or green peppers
- Seeds, Nuts, Nut butter: peanuts, peanut butter
- Beans, Legumes: textured soy or vegetable protein, TVP, hydrolyzed vegetable protein
- Grains, Starch: refined grains (white bread/crackers/pasta/cereal), granola bars, most protein bars
- Animal Protein: pork, sausage, ham, bacon, salami, bologna, pepperoni, hot dogs, canned meats, veal, beef (grain-fed), catfish, grouper, Atlantic salmon, king mackerel, swordfish, shark, albacore (solid white) tuna, and tilefish due to high levels of mercury
- Dairy Products: nonfat dry milk, nondairy creamers, frozen yogurt, artifically sweetened yogurt/ice cream
- Oils: margarine, crisco, shortening, lard, hydrogenated oils, canola oil, vegetable oils, fried foods, peanut butter
- Condiments: MSG, sugar or corn syrup or chemical containing (artificial coloring, preservatives, artificial flavoring) condiments, soy sauce
- Sweetener: artificial sweeteneer (nutrasweet, splenda, sucralose, sweet'n'low, equal), sugar, corn syrup (karo), high fructose corn syrup
- Beverages: decaffeinated beverages, soda, alcoholic beverages, sweetened beverages

I know this list was really long (it was very annoying to type out) and I realize some people may think a lot of the things on here to eat and avoid are obvious but I hope it helps SOMEONE..that's all that matters. Good luck everyone! And feel free to email me if you'd like to know more about my detox program I've been doing.

78 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by doreensoans **

Hey MegD,

Indeed the list is long but strong...i was suggested a diet quite similar to this that was abt 4 yrs ago and it really helped not only with my p also with p arthritis...its can get a bit difficult to follow aftr a cpl of mnths but u shld get back on track asap...also to add to this i would like to tell you about the "one thrid formula" which my homeopath belives can kill any disease even cancer....
one third of ur daily intake shld contain fresh fruits. (if organic not possible soak fruits n veggies in luke warm water before consuming it)
one third of ur daily intake shld contain veggies.
the remainder can contain pulses,nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, chicken etc.

cheers,
Doreen.

** Originally posted by googlebot **

Meg, I'm glad it has helped you.

** Originally posted by Precious8095 **

Hi Meg: could i please have your email address? I have some questions for you about this regime.

Thanks..S:D

Hi Meg: could i please have your email address? I have some questions for you about this regime.

Thanks..S:D

You can send me a private message on this site.

Thanks to everyone else!

** Originally posted by doreensoans **

ya...lol see wht he belives n now i belive it too.. is if the end result in the body is acidic then it leads to all kinds of toxin build up n da things that lead to diseases thrive on this...so by following a good diet the 1\3 regime your body will eventually flush out da toxins the stuff that causes disease will have nothing to feed on n eventually die...i tried alopathy & ayurveda since im in India but they didnt work the only thing that helped is yoga, homeopathy and now i've been off medication for 3 yrs just following da diet & yoga i take omega 3 supplimnts n have aloe juice in da morining...n p is as good as not present. when i tell ppl i have p they think im joking...feels good!!!

** Originally posted by nina2002nina **

I have been on a holistic detox treatment for 4 weeks now, and it's incredible how much it has helped me. My psoriasis is so much better and my body feels better in general. I've lost 25 pounds of toxins and healthy fat loss, and I just feel wonderful. You can read more about my diet course in a post I have in the Teens section...

Congratulations! Many of us are experiencing great results with a special diet :0)! I am wishing you the best of luck with this treatment!!!! That is a hard list of foods to follow, but it is so worth it :)))))!

Congratulations! Many of us are experiencing great results with a special diet :0)! I am wishing you the best of luck with this treatment!!!! That is a hard list of foods to follow, but it is so worth it :)))))!

Thanks! It is really hard to follow..but I am so used to it now that it's not such a big deal anymore.

** Originally posted by dottie01810 **

My doctor gave me a list of foods that you should eat (as of now, I am eating ONLY these), and foods that you should avoid because they "are either nutrient poor, promote blood sugar problems, stimulate chronic inflammation, add to our toxic load, deplete our antioxidant reserves, or evoke a food allergy immune reaction."

I thought I would share it with everyone. :)

FOODS TO EAT
- Fruits: (All fresh and organic) Cherries, berries, peaches, apples, plums, apricots, lemon
- Vegetables: (All fresh and organic) (Raw, steamed, juiced or roasted) Asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, swiss chard, cucumber, lettuce, yellow squash, spinach, watercress, radishes, string beans, beets, brussels sprouts, chives, collards, kale, leeks, parsley, zucchini
- Seeds, Nuts, Nut butter: (Raw and unsalted) Almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame (tahini), walnuts, pecans, flaxseed, macadamia.
- Beans, Legumes: (Not canned!) lentils, split peas, kidney beans, lima beans, fava beans
- Animal Protein: Fresh cold water fish (Especially: Pacific or Alaskan wild salmon, sardines in olive oil, freshwater trout, snapper, haddock, flounder, ocean perch, sole; Organic or free range chicken and turkey
- Dairy Products: unsweetened coconut milk
- Oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, organic clarified butter(ghee)
- Beverages: pure water, organic fresh-made vegetable or fruit juice, caffeine free(not decaffeinated) herbal tea, green tea (one serving/day)

FOODS TO AVOID:
- Fruits: Syrup packed canned fruit, unripe fruit, overripe fruit; jams, jellies, syrups, sweetened fruit drinks, fruit-ades
- Vegetables: canned, creamed vegetables, unripe vegetables like green tomatoes or green peppers
- Seeds, Nuts, Nut butter: peanuts, peanut butter
- Beans, Legumes: textured soy or vegetable protein, TVP, hydrolyzed vegetable protein
- Grains, Starch: refined grains (white bread/crackers/pasta/cereal), granola bars, most protein bars
- Animal Protein: pork, sausage, ham, bacon, salami, bologna, pepperoni, hot dogs, canned meats, veal, beef (grain-fed), catfish, grouper, Atlantic salmon, king mackerel, swordfish, shark, albacore (solid white) tuna, and tilefish due to high levels of mercury
- Dairy Products: nonfat dry milk, nondairy creamers, frozen yogurt, artifically sweetened yogurt/ice cream
- Oils: margarine, crisco, shortening, lard, hydrogenated oils, canola oil, vegetable oils, fried foods, peanut butter
- Condiments: MSG, sugar or corn syrup or chemical containing (artificial coloring, preservatives, artificial flavoring) condiments, soy sauce
- Sweetener: artificial sweeteneer (nutrasweet, splenda, sucralose, sweet'n'low, equal), sugar, corn syrup (karo), high fructose corn syrup
- Beverages: decaffeinated beverages, soda, alcoholic beverages, sweetened beverages

I know this list was really long (it was very annoying to type out) and I realize some people may think a lot of the things on here to eat and avoid are obvious but I hope it helps SOMEONE..that's all that matters. Good luck everyone! And feel free to email me if you'd like to know more about my detox program I've been doing.

I have looked in t diet and found asite that claims that a lot of psoriasis flares i people are caused by acidic foods such as tomatoes,lemons,even vit C. One is supposed to avo9d high omega 6 oils but you have oilve oil listed as a good oil and it is high in omega6s. also nightshade vegetables cause psa to be worse.--tomatoes,eggplant--sweet peppers.

I have looked in t diet and found asite that claims that a lot of psoriasis flares i people are caused by acidic foods such as tomatoes,lemons,even vit C. One is supposed to avo9d high omega 6 oils but you have oilve oil listed as a good oil and it is high in omega6s. also nightshade vegetables cause psa to be worse.--tomatoes,eggplant--sweet peppers.

Haha you're not supposed to avoid olive oil...it's good for you. Coconut oil is the best and healthiest for cooking in, but a small amount of olive oil is right after it.

Olive oil is good bbecause it has no cholesterol BUT it is high in Omega6 which is in flamatory. Coconut oil is low in omega 6s BUT high in cholesterol. Butter islow in omega 6 BUT high in cholesterol.

Most people are fighting cholesterol so olive oil is good for them. Most peolple dont have to have an anti-inflamatory diet.

I am speaking from statistics about diet which can be found on net. You may not have a flare from acidic food or nightshades. BUT a good % of people do.

** Originally posted by MadCat **

Hi MegD

Most of us on here are not allowed to post in the Teens section, as we are too old. So thank you for cross board referencing your post.

Your anti-inflammatory diet sounds very similar to the raw vegan lifestyle (with plenty of fresh vegetable juicing) that I am following.

I have now been following this lifestyle for two years and I have been 100% clear of P for around fifteen months now.

It also sounds very similar to the alkaline / acid diet, which I have just posted in my “Fresh Raw Living Juice & Psoriasis” post.

Once you get over the cravings for refined sugars, processed flours and other acidic / unhealthy / detrimental / highly processed foods/, it is actually a very doable and easy lifestyle to follow.

As well as clearing P, you will get huge health benefits from following such a healthy lifestyle.

Congratulations for embracing the challenge – it takes courage to let go of the old familiar ways and make positive lasting improvements

Good luck with it all

MC

Dairy Products: unsweetened coconut milk

Only this bit has really confused me:

“Dairy Products: unsweetened coconut milk”

Would you really class unsweetened coconut milk as dairy??

I drink coconut water / milk, but I crack open a fresh coconut to obtain it.

I personally avoid all dairy products - milk, cream, cheese, butter, ice-cream, ghee, yogurt etc.....I also avoid most oils - unless they are organic and cold pressed (and its very hard to buy true cold pressed oil).

MC

Only this bit has really confused me:

“Dairy Products: unsweetened coconut milk”

Would you really class unsweetened coconut milk as dairy??

MC

...Does it really matter? People get so particular about EVERYTHING on this forum..it makes me not want to post anything. When I read something on here, I just try to appreciate that the person was trying to share something that helped them so that it might help me...if I don't like something or disagree with it, then it's not for me and that's fine, and there's no reason for me to say something about it.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

...Does it really matter? People get so particular about EVERYTHING on this forum..it makes me not want to post anything. When I read something on here, I just try to appreciate that the person was trying to share something that helped them so that it might help me...if I don't like something or disagree with it, then it's not for me and that's fine, and there's no reason for me to say something about it.

I'm allergic to cow's milk which means all dairy from cows!

coconut milk comes from plant life so many on here can use it! I've also tried rice milk with some cereals and it tastes pretty good :p...there is also milk from the goat...but I've stuck to the rice milk mostly.... keep trying different substitutes you'll find something that you'll like!

I'm allergic to cow's milk which means all dairy from cows!

coconut milk comes from plant life so many on here can use it! I've also tried rice milk with some cereals and it tastes pretty good :p...there is also milk from the goat...but I've stuck to the rice milk mostly.... keep trying different substitutes you'll find something that you'll like!

That wasn't what I was talking about...I was talking about the nitpicking about categorizing coconut milk as "dairy."

** Originally posted by JayBee **

106 - Me & my big papi, getting our groove back! PASS THE SHARPIE!

Karen- what's the sharpie for, the asterisk?

JB

...Does it really matter?

No, of course it doesn’t really matter.

I just wanted clarification on what you meant.

Because I have never heard of coconut milk being classed as dairy before.

Maybe its a USA thing?

If I am confused, maybe others are too.

And if others are seeking ways to clear their P, maybe clarification of this point may help.

MC

...I was talking about the nitpicking about categorizing coconut milk as "dairy."

Whoa - that is a very over sensitive reaction AND you have completely misunderstood my intentions in asking that question.

I was NOT nitpicking.

I was asking a simple straightforward question.

For Example:

I can have coconut milk from a coconut which is a plant.

But I can't have any form of dairy from a cow.

So if something is coconut dairy - I don't know what that means. I have never heard of coconut dairy.

Is it something in the dairy section that has coconut essesence in it?

Or have you accidently classed coconut in the dairy section?

Please see my post above.

MC

Well, everyone, I am at week six and my psoriasis looks like it is preparing to start disappearing! I am so excited and happy and proud of myself for making it this far.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders