** Originally posted by MegD **
I have been on a holistic detox treatment for 4 weeks now, and it's incredible how much it has helped me. My psoriasis is so much better and my body feels better in general. I've lost 25 pounds of toxins and healthy fat loss, and I just feel wonderful. You can read more about my diet course in a post I have in the Teens section...
My doctor gave me a list of foods that you should eat (as of now, I am eating ONLY these), and foods that you should avoid because they "are either nutrient poor, promote blood sugar problems, stimulate chronic inflammation, add to our toxic load, deplete our antioxidant reserves, or evoke a food allergy immune reaction."
I thought I would share it with everyone. :)
FOODS TO EAT
- Fruits: (All fresh and organic) Cherries, berries, peaches, apples, plums, apricots, lemon
- Vegetables: (All fresh and organic) (Raw, steamed, juiced or roasted) Asparagus, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, swiss chard, cucumber, lettuce, yellow squash, spinach, watercress, radishes, string beans, beets, brussels sprouts, chives, collards, kale, leeks, parsley, zucchini
- Seeds, Nuts, Nut butter: (Raw and unsalted) Almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame (tahini), walnuts, pecans, flaxseed, macadamia.
- Beans, Legumes: (Not canned!) lentils, split peas, kidney beans, lima beans, fava beans
- Animal Protein: Fresh cold water fish (Especially: Pacific or Alaskan wild salmon, sardines in olive oil, freshwater trout, snapper, haddock, flounder, ocean perch, sole; Organic or free range chicken and turkey
- Dairy Products: unsweetened coconut milk
- Oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, organic clarified butter(ghee)
- Beverages: pure water, organic fresh-made vegetable or fruit juice, caffeine free(not decaffeinated) herbal tea, green tea (one serving/day)
FOODS TO AVOID:
- Fruits: Syrup packed canned fruit, unripe fruit, overripe fruit; jams, jellies, syrups, sweetened fruit drinks, fruit-ades
- Vegetables: canned, creamed vegetables, unripe vegetables like green tomatoes or green peppers
- Seeds, Nuts, Nut butter: peanuts, peanut butter
- Beans, Legumes: textured soy or vegetable protein, TVP, hydrolyzed vegetable protein
- Grains, Starch: refined grains (white bread/crackers/pasta/cereal), granola bars, most protein bars
- Animal Protein: pork, sausage, ham, bacon, salami, bologna, pepperoni, hot dogs, canned meats, veal, beef (grain-fed), catfish, grouper, Atlantic salmon, king mackerel, swordfish, shark, albacore (solid white) tuna, and tilefish due to high levels of mercury
- Dairy Products: nonfat dry milk, nondairy creamers, frozen yogurt, artifically sweetened yogurt/ice cream
- Oils: margarine, crisco, shortening, lard, hydrogenated oils, canola oil, vegetable oils, fried foods, peanut butter
- Condiments: MSG, sugar or corn syrup or chemical containing (artificial coloring, preservatives, artificial flavoring) condiments, soy sauce
- Sweetener: artificial sweeteneer (nutrasweet, splenda, sucralose, sweet'n'low, equal), sugar, corn syrup (karo), high fructose corn syrup
- Beverages: decaffeinated beverages, soda, alcoholic beverages, sweetened beverages
I know this list was really long (it was very annoying to type out) and I realize some people may think a lot of the things on here to eat and avoid are obvious but I hope it helps SOMEONE..that's all that matters. Good luck everyone! And feel free to email me if you'd like to know more about my detox program I've been doing.