Fingers "locking up"

** Originally posted by momofthree **

I just read a post where someone said her fingers would 'lock up' when doing something like scrubbing w/ a sponge, etc. Well that brought back a flashback. This has happened to me infrequently over the years. Is this really an arthritic thing? I always dismissed it as just a weird but normal repetitive use thing b/c it just took a few seconds to free up. Do others w/ PA experience such a thing. THis has only happened in my fingers. No other joints.

14 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by npf_import-82999 **

This happens to me, happened to me before I realized I had PA. The fingers are a very common place for PA to present itself. When you are attempting to be diagnosed for PA it is not always an easy thing to do. Not a lot of docs know how to determine whether or not it's what you have.

Annie

** Originally posted by kiki402 **

Hi every one I just wanted to tell you I also have fingers lock up the midddle finger only in both hands I also have PA but i also have carpel tunnel in both hands I had the surgery on my right hand and that is much better but still have the trigger fingers I was told it was tendoitis..
Vicky

** Originally posted by seedoubleyou **

That was me, momofthree.

I don't yet know if this is PA related -- my diagnosis is tentative at this point (by my dermatologist). I will be seeing a rheumatologist for the 1st time, February 2. I will definitely ask about this and let you know what he says. Needless to say, it's frightening when it happens!

Warmly,
Cat

** Originally posted by SandraJean **

Hi,

I have PA and P and my fingers have been affected, but I also do alot of knitting and that really seems to help keep them excercised, plus I'm on Humeria. I do have one finger, my ring finger on my right hand that often locks up (I'll bend it and when I try to straigten out all my fingers, that one will stay bent and I'll to phsically open it back up) I forgot what my doctor called it, I think just trigger finger, but he said that surgery would take care of it. My sister had carnel tunnel surgery and also had a trigger finger and they repaired it with surgery.

Sandy

Well the only thing that doesn't hurt me our my trigger fingers but it is just another thing we all have in common
By the way I never really introduced my self my name is Vicky I'm 45 from michigan I have two daughters and a 3 year old grandaughter and was diagnosed last year with PA.........

** Originally posted by misales **

Hi kiki from Michigan, brad here on the other side of michigan. Anyway, on the fingers thing I do not have a pa dx, however, i like to work on cars. Often now since P, when I work a rachet wrench my hand really starts to hurt badly and it is uncomfortable. I am also seeing some slight areas of discoloration of my nails. Another strange one is sometimes when I eat like pizza or steak or something you need to chew a lot, my jaw actually starts to hurt. Don't know if it can get up there but I think I have very mild PA, not much to worry about, unless of course it starts up bigger. These effects were also worsened while I was on cyclosporine and enbrel. Just strange.

Hi misales nice to meet you I just wanted to comment on the discoloration of your nails my toes were like that and my doc said that was one of the signs that made him have me tested for the PA also my one toe was swollen and had a sasage like apperance to it I was misdiagnosed for a long time at first they just thought I had a broken foot well a stress fracture
I'm on the methotrextate & enbrel now I was doing ok on it but lately not as good I also had surgery on my right shoulder just b-4 xmas to clean the arthrits out It is much better

** Originally posted by misales **

Do you go the support group over on the east side? (brian masserman, walled lake) Just curious. If you ever feel like coming over to the GR or Lansing Area we have small one over here. We are having a meeting/lunch on Jan 29...Sat. You are more than welcome to come if you are up for the drive.

Brad

** Originally posted by slowe **

Hi Kiki - welcome to the boards. I also have PA, I never really thought about my fingers locking up until I saw this thread. Thinking back, when I was taking piano lessons, if I played or practiced for more than 2 hours a day, my fingers would lock up. I also remember my hips, ankles, knees and jaw locking up from time to time. This was all before I ever got P or was diagnosed with PA. I didn't get P til I was 18 and was diagnosed with PA when I was 29. Something else I remember from that time, whenever I would tell my mom what happened (fingers locking up) she would tell me it was all in my head and would ignore me.

Like Brad said, if you ever feel like coming to a support group meeting, our next one is on the 29th. If you don't feel up to driving that far, if you could make it to Lansing, my dh & I would be happy to drive you to GR. If you're interested, pm me and we could set it up.

** Originally posted by SJand3kids **

I’ve had locking fingers as long as I can remember but thought I was just “double jointed” or something. Once the PA really took hold in my hands it certainly has gotten worse (ie. it takes longer to get them moving again.) It happens to me especially when I’m cleaning, writing or doing something repetitive.

Neat tip I’ve discovered: I received the “bionic gardening gloves” for Christmas and was cleaning recently when my hands were aching unbearably. I put them on and cleaned with much less pain. I can’t wait till spring to try them in the garden!

Hi Sara I also have carpel tunnel in both my hands along with the PA and locking fingers I also have many raised bed gardens in my back yard It is my passion but is getting harder each year and I'm only 45! any ways my question is what are bionic gardening gloves and where do you get them
Thanks Vicky.... :confused:

** Originally posted by docmks **

I also have fingers that lock up. I have morning stiffness particularly badly in both hands, and my latest flare of P has plaques and fissures on my fingers. My fingers with the most soft tissue swelling also have the worst P. I do have a trigger finger on my middle finger of one hand. When I unclench my hands in the morning, I can straighten all my fingers except that one, and it sort of pops into place on its own. My dad, who I am convinced has had P and PA for many, many years, has exactly the same thing on the same finger of his right hand. My hand P is the most painful I've experienced yet, by the way. It hurts to type on a keyboard, unlock doors, etc. If I hadn't had these message boards I'd be really confused, but I know this is a pretty typical scenario from what I am learning from all of you.

MK

** Originally posted by FlakeyMatt **

Yes PA/P can be painful and happy that you find the boards useful. Was wondering how you are currently trying to treat your P/PA?

FlakeyMatt

I really agree with you Doc about these boards here....
I learned so much from every one here I think we would of thought that a lot of our symptoms were just ours if not for this board..... ;)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders