Fingernails, Toenails: Advice?

Hey, Everyone, Again,

This is the thing. I meet my Mom every other Tuesday while she gets her nails done (now, don't judge; she's a retired aircraft mechanic for Boeing, and she deserves it), then we do lunch. Not long ago I asked her manicurist what could be done about my nails, and she looked at me like I was, well, stupid. They are pitted and grooved, and poor Sharon hadn't a clue. Also, I have a really hard time trimming my toenails due to their thickness. Anybody out there have these same (cussword,cussword,cussword) problems? I'd bet. Feedback, please? Thanks in advance.

love,love,love,

Sheri

28 replies. Join the discussion

Sometimes I wish I were a woman so I could aleast throw some paint over these beauties!!!!! I have some that are so thick that I keep hoping they will just pop off. I just hack away at them & try to get em as short as possible. Less to notice that way.

Hi Sheri. I went to a podiatrist. He ground down my thick toe nails with a special little electric wheel. It tickled and when he had finished my nails looke fabulous.I went and bought one a little battery operated one and use it and my nails look much better and I keep them short too. I only have one pinky fingernail affected so I just wear nail polish sometimes.

look into Cell Food...It can be taken as drops in water..really good stuff..It also works externally..a few drops on you toe nails and it is suppose to cure fungus..I had it once and it went away for a few months..Just started to come back a little so I am starting up again..I cut nails way back, and after shower, put it on toes. Health food stores have it, it comes in a little one ounce bottle, lasts forever and cost about 30 dollars..sounds like a lot but you only need a couple drops...try taking it in your water bottle every day. too..It even makes the water taste better..look it up , it is great stuff..all natural too.

Sheri, just be glad you still got em, mine are going bye bye. Rheumy hugged me and said dont cry they will grow back.
Kelli : (

I have been seeing a dermatologist for 2 years now. Have not found anything that works yet.. From shots in the nail beds to other medications, no results. I am now working with my arthritis physician, she tested me for psoriatic arthritis. I am starting a new treatment, we will see what develops from this.
I find filing the nails and putting clear polish over them helps.
At night I use petroleum jelly on my toe nails and finger nails (caked on), then put on socks and white gloves to keep them covered, really helps. The dryness goes away and the nails don't split and peel as bad.

Go to phorisis.com/ fingernailstoenails. Hope this helps.

I file the living heck out of mine (the tops of them) and use nailpolish. Not a cure, but it looks better. This is new to me, I used to have pretty nails and now they're all grooved and crumbly and peely. It started happening around the time I was diagnosed with the arthritis 3 years ago. My toenails got all warped and thick, and I thought I had nail fungus but was told it's actually psoriasis. My toenails look much different from how it affects my fingernails, so I didn't know. I lost most of my toenails over the winter, and what is growing back looks better but still not normal. Awful, isn't it? But that's my advice...filing and nailpolish.

I used to have lovely fingernails and get manicures every other week. It started in my toes and I went to the podiatrist and he made the incorrect diagnosis of fungus because it really does look exactly the same. Of course now I know that it's P and PsA. My dermo said nails are practically impossible to treat, so we're not even trying. As everyone here is saying, I just keep them super short, trying to cut away as much of the effected part of the nail as I can without making them bleed. They don't look very nice but that's about the best you can do. I considered polish, but I think if you put polish on very short nails it only brings attention to them. I've found it better to leave them natural or clear polish so they don't stand out. My rheumo is starting me on MX for the PsA so I'm hoping I might see some improvement in my nails too. With my luck, my fingers and toenails will improve but my hair will fall out! :)

Sheri, Hoopmama has the right idea. Use a Emory board & file the thickness of the nails down to a more normal thickness filing off & removing the rough nail and smooth out to a even level nail bed.
File down enough to obtain a smooth surface. Then clean well with vinegar and rinse.Then condition nails wearing socks & gloves over nite. Then clean polish with clear polish / helps the slowing of the over growth of the nails. Keeps hand and feet moisturized as many times as needed to keep them from drying out. Keeping ahead of the condition is the trick.
Regular care & maintance is the key. A lot less work once a Maintence schedule in started & continued.
Good luck and keep those nails short while the P out break is active.

I lost my fingernails and toenails due to PsA. My derm advised as soon as I had some nail to see a manicurist and have artificial nails applied. I did and see her every 2-3 weeks and at last my finger tips no longer hurt and my nails have now grown back. I have a pedicure on my remaining toenails and even though some are not growing, with some buffing and polish they are looking better.
As far as artificial nails are concerned - nails don't breathe nor do the feed so artificial nails do not harm these psoriatic monstrosities!

Ok. I have had psoriasis for almost 30 years. I am now 36. Mostly very mild until the last few years. About 3 years ago, my nails started getting little oil looking dots and then within a few days start turning yellow from that point up to my finger tip. The only thing that helps it is if I ingest 1 pack of Knox gelatin daily. it really helps to grow out my nailed and prevent new spots on ky nails from forming. If I get complacent and stop taking it, I suffer the repercussions.

Please, anyone that has PPP and open sores DO NOT HAVE A PEDICURE AT A SALON, your chances of picking up a life threatening infection especially if you are on an immunio-suppressant are very high and a chance I would not take.
Kelli

FlakyK, I totally agree about the pedicure. My feet and toenails are so bad that I wouldn't even ask those poor girls at my salon to try to do something about my toenails! But I would not risk an infection as I am on biologics. My PPP is over the soles of my feet completely and around the sides. The toenails on only my left foot are affected. Someone suggested using Hydrogen Peroxide to clean affected nails. It helps reduce the white chalky/flaky stuff that can collect under the nail. I also put Dovabet, which I use on my legs and feet and hands on the nails at night. Tea Tree Oil is also good if you can put up with the smell! Anyway, I keep my nails super short and do put polish on my toenails occasionally as it looks pretty and gives that psychological lift we all need so badly at times(sorry guys!). As for my fingernails....they are a lost cause. Ugly! But I try to keep them clean and short. Think I'll they the Knox gelatin idea! Thanks for that JR75.

I am curious.....one of my fingernails has a ridge running from top to bottom, the nail is always split so I keep it very short. It has been like this for years. Does anyone else have this?

I have a little trick for the split nail. Ya ready. Super glue. Keep it on as Long as it takes to grow out. Use a clear wrap nail kit or a little piece of tissue paper and polish top and under nail. Look for nail wrap materials online or nail section a beauty supply. In about a month the nail will grow out enough to just use thick polish a couple of coats. Sally Hansen has a great acrylic clear product just perfact for that purpose.
I always works for me, going on 10 yrs. Or some people use acrylic stick on or salon nails. It's a preference thing.
Good Luck

I will echo a million times that going to a nail salon for a pedicure or manicure with a compromised immune system and busted nails from psoriasis is a BAD idea. Please, for your own sake, don't. You can do so much with pretty nailpolishes and filing blocks without subjecting yourself to potential diseases. Psoriasis sucks, but some things suck worse. Be well, everyone.

Anyone have build up under nails that causes a lot of pain? How to relieve the pressure? Podiatrist? Sometimes it hurts so bad on my 2 big toes, if someone steps on them or I bang it by accident I scream in agony.

I have splits in my nails like that, Kathy. I used to get my nails done with an acrylic overlay (not the tips) just to keep them strong. I got tired of the upkeep and expense, but it did work really well. Now I just keep them short and polished.

have you been diagnosed with palm plantar psoriasis? your pic of your foot looks like mine and yesterday , after years of pain and " misdiagnose" i finally traveled several hours to a wonderful new doctor who has given me hope. any suggestions about med's, diet or your own experiences would be helpful. betty

Yes please see a podiatrist or a dermatoligist they will help eliminate your agony. No one should have to suffer that pain. You deserve a better quality of life. Go for it now!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders