Eye Psoriasis

Hi fellow sufferers - you are so strong - just remember that.

So, I have psoriasis around the edges of my eyes (inbetween the eyelashes and also in the corners), and it is so horrible. I can't put medicine there. The ONLY natural thing I have found to work is to put CASTOR OIL on my eyes at night when I sleep. I wake up with fresh eyes that don't have any flakes. It is only temporary relief.

What are some things that have worked for YOU?

Thank you!
<3 <3 <3

28 replies. Join the discussion

seekingwisdom, I really feel for you. I don't have it on my eye but one spot is 1/8 inch from it and I have to watch what I put on it or it will make me tear up pretty bad. Castor oil make my whole face swell. I can get calcium drench close to my eye. http://www.jefferslivestock.com/goats-prefer-calcium-drench/camid/liv/cp/VP -G3/ It is basically mineral salts and vitamins and definately stops itch. I think the mineral salts also help to desolve plaque. Wishing you healing and relief.

The sun is our friend.

I have facial psoriasis including eye psoriasis. It is painful as it cracks and bleeds and itches. I have managed to keep my psoriasis at bay via a combined regimen including a greens diet, milk thistle tea (detox), dandelion tea (detox), slippery elm tea (soothes the digestive tract), supplements that my ND prescribed based on my hair analysis (in order to get my nutrient/minerals in balance), deep breathing, less stress, more sleep (I went from 4 hours a night to 7 or 8), drink lots of purified water, Udo's oil, coconut oil, probiotics (some provided in pill form and also Good Belly), wheatgrass with water or almond milk - almond milk is like a desert for me (Amazing Grass is a wheat grass brand that is sold at Whole Foods or online). I also use h2o2 drops in water. I am now built up to 25 drops of h2o2 in 8 ounces of distilled water three times a day. I am looking into oxidative IV therapies regarding h2o2 and ozone treatment. I am hoping if I can clear my body of candida, bad bacteria, then i may be able to gradually add a few more healthy foods such as some fruit. I have recently been adding organic baked chicken to my greens salads with no Psoriasis flares. The greens diet really helped but didn't totally clear my skin. When I started the h2o2, my skin stays almost clear. It flares a little right after I eat, but I think this will decrease as my leaky gut heals. I really think leaky gut is the core problem I am dealing with. If I can heal it (which i have been working on diligently for over 2 years) then i think I will be able to keep Psoriasis at bay while eating a healthy diet > Although I never plan to include grains, sugar (other than organic fruit), soy, dairy, or any processed foods into my diet ever again. My toxic metals are steadily decreasing and once they are at a normal level, I will introduce salmon and herring a few times per week. It is a whole lifestyle change but I think it will ultimately benefit me in the long run and I am optimistic that I will be able to keep the Psoriasis at bay. I hope this helps.

update on good supplier for calcium drench. http://www.hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1 They don't charge handling!

Jibit, What were the results of you hair analysis? If you don't mind me asking.

Get UVB lightbox or the Excimer Laser and it clears right up. For eyelid PS the excimer pinpoints the spot unlike the UVB Lightbox which gets all areas of body which are exposed.

Hi uprovidence,

The first hair analysis (May 2011):
Exhaustion stage of stress; fast oxidizer with adrenal glandular burnout; low sodium/potassium ratio associated with adrenal fatigue, infections and impaired sugar/carb tolerance > body unable to burn glucose properly > low sodium/potassium ratio also (oftentimes associated with liver and kidney stress, allergies, and impaired digestion); copper imbalance > oftentimes associated with fatigue, anxiety, skin conditions, insomnia, yeast infections, and many other disorders; impaired protein synthesis; impaired digestion; body is in a parasympathetic state > due to nutrient deficiencies, toxic metal excesses, excessive mental activities such as worrying; impaired immune system; liver and kidney stress (which may impair toxic metal eliminination, impaired immune system, carb intolerance (and I can't handle any carbs or my Psoriasis goes crazy!); fluid imbalances, and other conditions which affect liver and kidney function; increased cell permeability (if foreign proteins enter the cells too easily, acute allergies may result (that sounds familiar with all my food sensitivities)

In a nutshell, my analysis showed a tendency for the following metabolic trends > adrenal burnout, food allergies (YEP!), allergies to chemical and biological substances (YEP!); anemia, anxiety, emotional sensitivity, depression, fatigue, glucose intolerance, insomnia, kidney stress, liver stress, underactive thymus, elevated calcium levels, good level of magnesium but not ideal with relation to other minerals (so ND provided supplementation), elevated sodium and potassium level (oftentimes elevated levels of sodium and potassium are associated with sodium and potassium retention in the tissues as part of an alarm response to stress. It doesn't necessarily mean I am consuming too much potassium or salt (and I have never consumed a large amount of salt); low iron; low copper > low copper levels may contribute to both low calcium and magnesium levels, connective tissue problems, aneurysm and hormonal imbalances, irritability, fatigue, and allergies; low selenium and chromium; normal phosphorus level; good level of zinc; high levels of mercury and aluminum.

In Feb 2012, I had a follow-up hair analysis. Here are the results:
calcium to magnesium ratio in normal range, improved insulin secretion, decrease in sodium/potassium ratio (compared to first analysis) to a normal ratio indicating a reduced tendency for adrenal hyperactivity and probable reduction of acute biochemical stress; osteo-arthritis trend improved; trend toward improved protein metabolism and improvement in tissue repair; allergic trend has reduced.
Also, this second analysis shows a decreased trend for depression, headaches, cardio-vascular disease, edema, renal hypertension, infection.
The significant decrease in sodium level is associated with a reduction in the toward inflammation, excess aldosterone productionand acute stress and is frequently associated with an improvement in kidney function.
Zinc to copper ratio improved which frequently reflects improved thyroid function.
Mercury level decreased
Aluminum level decreased resulting in a trend toward improved enzyme function.
My psoriasis has significantly cleared over this time frame while I have adjusted my diet (greens diet), taken recommended supplements and improved my overall lifestyle habits as described in my above post.

Ask your doctor about Protopic or Elidel ointment!! I'm surprised more people don't know about this. I use Elidel for my facial psoriasis. It's an antimetabolite, NOT a corticosteroid, so it doesn't cause skin atrophy nor cataracts.

Wow, thanks so far! Can't wait to see more responses of what works for others:)

Jibit. I have a question: where did you get your hair samples tested? Also, I just wanted to say that I just learned that cilantro removes heavy metal from your system: http://www.hungryforchange.tv/detox Jibit, thanks so much for all the tea ideas. I have only been doing a skin detox formula tea by yogi: http://www.amazon.com/Yogi-DeTox-Herbal-Supplement-16-Count/dp/B002LL7OXM it has some of that stuff in it. I am going to get all that you say tonight. Looks like you have made great strides! It is a great reminder to me to stop eating carbs (just ate some pizza). I am good mentally, just have to connect the mental to the actions. I know how it works, one day I will just be like "aha!" and it will all click together:)

Keep the responses coming! If I learn of anything else I will share here!

Elidel didn't work for me, and I feel really strongly about not using any non-natural stuff on my face.

I've been using SLS shampoo until just recently and it may be the reason the rest of my body is healing faster than my face and scalp but just changed and it is helping a lot. I put a Culligan shower filter on my shower. Also have a very good recipe if your up to making it. It is working great on my face.

1/3 C. Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice http://www.swansonvitamins.com/LIL001/ItemDetail
2 T. Aloe Butter http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html
2 tsp. Dead Sea Salt concentrate (2 parts distilled water, 1 part Dead Sea Salt)
1 tsp. Calcium Drench http://www.hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1
1 Tbs. Hydrovance http://www.thesage.com/catalog/LotionSupplies.html
1 tsp. Chamomile extract http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Extracts.html
2 tsp. Optiphen http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Preservatives.html
¼ - ½ tsp. Xanthan Gum (mixed in blender or use stick blender) http://www.amazon.com/

Same recipe can be made substituting Aloe Butter with Sea buckthorn oil for high vitamin content and some natural sunblock. http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Buckthorn-Oil-350-ml/dp/B004888ZPW/ref=sr_1_36?s= hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1335321457&sr=1-36

Hi seekingwisdom,

My ND facilitated my hair analysis. The report was generated by ARL - Analytical Research Labs, Inc. >2225 W. Alice Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85021 phone > (602)995-1580 www.arltma.com

If you decide to pursue the h2o2 drops in water, be prepared to increase the drops very slowly. Be prepared for the yucky taste and the potential Herxheimer effect as well. Here's a helpful link that takes you to an 85 page pdf document that explains the history, research and reported success regarding h2o2 treatment. It also discusses what is meant by Herxheimer effect:
http://www.foodgrade-hydrogenperoxide.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfil es/TheTruthAboutFGHP.pdf

Thanks for the info about cilantro. I actually put cilantro in my greens salad every meal so it's good to learn it removes heavy metals.

Good Luck with your efforts. It takes alot of determination, but it's worth it. I am so glad to have my face back and no pain in or around my eyes anymore. People used to ask me if I was contagious. I'm glad those days are gone and hope they never come back. If that means sticking to this regimen forever, I'll do it.

Hey Jibit,
I did borax & H2o2 and did get a herx. reaction. I quit for awhile and believe getting my potassium/sodium ratio right will help with getting acidity down. http://drlwilson.com/Articles/SODIUM-POT%20RATIO.HTM You mentioned some suppliments. What suppliments were recommended for you?

Hey there..have had it around my eyes..I know I tried other stuff but the one thing I do remeber doing was using chap stick at nite and even during the day...I wear glasses so the effect on glasses not good. My theory on chap stick is that you put it on your lips...has to be safe. Good luck

4crows - I have totally done this! It is just embarrassing whipping out my chapstick and putting on my eyes :( The ONLY chapstick I would recommend doing this with is "dr bronner's NAKED lip balm" because it doesn't have mint or anything in it. Also, make sure that is your designated stick for your eyes because your mouth can be pretty germy...

Psoriatic plaques around the eyes would really be a bummer.
Ointments and salves for topical relief would not be possible.
Under those circumstances I'd go the ingested glycerin route.
The University of Georgia Medical College did a glycerin study about 10 years ago with psoriatic mice and found that topical application reduced the plaques compared to the untreated control batch of mice. It also found that ingestion of glycerin by mice also reduced the plaques equally as well. Since glycerin is considered a food additive and sweetener (60% of cane sugar sweetness) and is not harmful, I think I'd use it to sweeten my daily coffee instead of regular sugar.
Glycerin will not cure psoriasis, but may offer some relief from the itching and pain caused by plaques.

Hi uprovidence,

After my first analysis, I was given the following supplements:
SBF Formula > a combination of 10 minerals, vitamins and glandular concentrates, specifically formulated to help me escape adrenal burnout. I no longer have the bottle so I don't know the specific minerals and vitamins. I took these up until my second hair analysis.
Thym-Adren > contains thymus and adrenal gland nucleoprotein together with a special formula of synergetic nutrients
Limcomin > a multi-nutrient formula designed to enhance immune system response
Paramin > formulated to provide necessary balance of potassium and magnesium
I don't have any of these bottles so i am unable to tell you specific ingredients, but you could try Googling them. Endo-Met Labs was the brand.

After my second analysis, I was given the following supplements:
Megapan > includes Vit A, C, D3, E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vit B6, Folic acid, B12, Biotin, Pantothenic acid, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Chromium, Potassium, PABA, Inositol, Proprietary Blend (Pectin and Bioflavonoids)
Thyro complex > Iodine from kelp, Raw thyroid conc., Raw adrenal conc., Raw pituitary conc., Raw spleen conc, and kelp
GB-3 > ox bile, Pancreatin 4 X USP (porcine), Dehydrocholic acid, Black raddish
Paramin
Endo-Pan (from Endo-Met Labs) > Pantothenic acid, Zinc, L-Cysteine
Algazim (Iodine and Norwegian Kelp)
Endo-Veggies (from Endo-Met Labs) > probiotic including a variety of enzymes
Selenium (to remove mercury)
She also recommended red infrared sauna/lights (bought lights at Lowe's)

Thanks for the link to drwilson.com regarding Na/K ratio. My first hair analysis determined a ratio of 1.34 and my second analysis determined a ratio of 4.00. I hope I can fall somewhere in between with the next analysis. My ND wants me at 2.5

jibit, you are very inspiring :)

Hi seekingwisdom,
All the folks on this message board have been such a big support. My family doesn't understand why I "don't just get medication from a dermatologist." I try to explain to them how medications could possibly eliminate the symptoms (psoriasis) but would at the same time do more significant damage to my leaky gut and make everything worse. I try to explain that I need to heal inside in order to be truly healthy (as opposed to just have my skin look clear (which is all the medication would do). I don'y just want to have clear skin, I want to be truly healthy. The psoriasis is a big red (literally) flag that something more than a skin condition is going on. My sister understands this but others struggle to understand this and just want me to "eat normal." The thing is, I don't want to ever "eat normal/Standard American Diet (SAD)" again even if I could. Now that I have learned so much about food and health, I will never go back to the SAD. I would like to introduce fruits, fish (once my mercury levels are in check) and some other healthy foods (in addition to my greens diet).
I think everyone's body is different but some basic things help (like incorporating a healthy diet - depending on the extent of your health issues this may be very restrictive or less restrictive, incorporating efforts to reduce stress and sleep more, add needed nutrients and minerals, appropriate detox efforts - that don't go overboard, etc). It is all about balance > and the body is a puzzle when it comes to finding balance. What may work for one person may not work for another. The body is very resilient, but once it has been thoroughly abused/compromised, it can take some precise efforts to get it in good health again, which oftentimes takes some serious time. I slept 4 hours a night, worked 7 days a week, and ate cereal constantly as a staple (because it was quick, easy, I didn't like to cook and eating was a nuisance that just got in the way of everything I needed to do throughout the day). Now i look back and know that I did this to myself in my 40 years of life - It took many years to get me to a state of psoriasis and poor health (leaky gut) and it will take awhile to get out of this. From the outside, all those years I appeared healthy - I had an incredible amount of energy and happiness, I was a healthy weight at 120 lbs and 5'4", my skin looked great......but then came the psoriasis on my face to tell me that i wasn't really healthy at all and that I had been fueling myself on bad food (processed food, carbs). I have had to change my whole lifestyle, but I try to look at my psoriasis as a blessing in disguise. If the psoriasis had never appeared, who knows how damaged my insides would have been before I became aware enough and motivated enough to do something about it. By then who knows what diseases my body could have developed. Having psoriasis on my face was a strong motivator. It affected my ability to work (especially since I am self-employed in a very social field of work and have a second occupation that requires me to make lots of public appearances). I really was pushed to do something and do something quick. Since medication is quick but causes more damage internally, then I decided against that immediately. I didn't just want a band-aid on the outside that wreaked havoc on my insides. I know some people say wonderful things about drugs for Psoriasis, but I just can't risk the damage that they undoubtedly have to cause (i.e., look at the side effects, along with the fact that drugs include ingredients that the body doesn't recognize). Just too much risk. I know some people say diet doesn't affect their Psoriasis. I think that in some of these cases, they may have not found the right diet (along with the right other balance in their life). I started out by eliminating gluten and dairy. My Psoriasis cleared for 8 months. Then it returned out of nowhere. I then had my first hair analysis done and decided to eliminate fish, sugar, grains, soy, dairy, carbs of all kinds (other than what was in vegetables) - I used to be vegetarian (i now eat some organic chicken in my salads to help my protein levels > since I can't eat soy, grains, dairy or fish for protein). I put rotate coconut oil and Udo's oil in the salads and add a little cilantro, basil, onion and garlic. I have at various times attempted to add a new food to see if I had a reaction (i.e., a small amount of fruit, a little Greek yogurt, quinoa > Unfortunately, I have had bad reactions for each of these so far but I am hopeful that I will be eventually be able to include small amounts of fruit. The more I learn about dairy and grains, I don't think I will ever try to incorporate them again or do so very rarely as a treat). I am confident I will be able to eat salmon, herring, and other good fish once my mercury levels are down. Long story long, I think you have a good potential for getting relief, but it will require some serious commitment to a new lifestyle and finding out what balance your body needs (as far as detox, diet, sleep, etc.). I wish you the best in your efforts. Keep up your great spirit! It sounds like you are motivated and optimistic. That's a good place to start!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders