Eye Cyst

** Originally posted by Resist **

So lately I have been having an issue with a clear fluid filled cyst on the white of my left eye, nearest my nose. It looks like a clear blister on my eye. It doesn't bother me or my vision, just looks terrible. My eye doctor said the eye has pores that can get clogged up and thus causing a cyst that fills with fluid. I had it lanced a few weeks ago and now it came back. So today I went to the eye doctor again and she lanced it like three times because each time it filled right back up. When I got home I noticed it has filled up yet again. I will go back tomorrow and see what can be done now. Apparently the lancing isn't working as it keeps sealing and then filling right back up with clear fluid.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

24 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Resist,

I understand that eye problems can sometimes be a sign of PA. (My rheumy insists that all of his patients undergo annual eye exams at a teaching hospital for that reason.) I also understand that eye problems can also be associated with other autoimmune diseases. Cat (SeeDoubleYou) posted an article "Ocular Manifestations of Autoimmune Disease". It's a bit dated (circa 2002) but it may help point you in the right direction. Here's a link to her post: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=298253&highlight=article#po st298253.

I hope this helps.

Keep us posted.

Mike

Did they call it a chalazion??

Maybe, I can't remember the medical term for it. They just said it is simply a clogged pore in the clear membrane on the eye that gets filled with clear fluid. Apparently even the eyeball itself has pores.

** Originally posted by frommyvalentino **

I don't have that problem IN my eye, but on the eyelid. It's annoying...it swells up on one of the pores when mascare or something gets into it, and then the entire lid swells up. It hurts terribly.

** Originally posted by einna **

A chalazion is not on the eyeball itself but on the eyelid. Had one as a child and took care of removing then in the OR.

Annie

Oh, well then that is not what I have as my cyst is on the white of my eyeball.

** Originally posted by stametst **

I have had an infected tear duct, it might be that. When mine has been infected, I have had to go to the ophthalmologist and have it drained.

Do you go to an ophthalmologist?

I don't have an infected tear duct, as I already stated the cyst is on the white of my eyeball and not my tear gland.

Alli,

I just found this site prior to reading your post. Are we of the same mind set or what?

This information is exactly what I am experiencing. I should be seeing an opthomalogist tomorrow. But my medical insurance is being a pain in the rear again. Seems like my initial eye doctor wasn't good enough for the referral as they want me to see my regular doctor for the referral (it isn't covered under my eye insurance). And it sounds like he wants to see me first. They are going to copay me to death over this! My head is about ready to pop with anger.

Today paid yet another copay (Grrrrrr) and saw the ophthalmologist. He said my cyst keeps coming back because it has vessels that continue to fill it with fluid. Thus the reason many times a cyst comes back after lancing them. So tomorrow he will do minor surgery to remove the cyst completely. He said there is a small chance it could still come back but I feel at this point removing it is my best option as 4 lancings haven't worked so far. Hope I don't have to pay a copay again tomorrow!

Just found this limbal cyst removal video. Mine is not this huge, deep or near the iris, so I'm sure the removal won't be this complicated. My cyst is just on the top clear layer over the white of the eyeball.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e79_1207321076

** Originally posted by plasticxtiara **

Good luck! =]

** Originally posted by pgerpup **

Resist,

A friend of mine, who was a long time contact lens wearer, had a cyst in her eye that she had surgically removed. It worked perfectly. She was even able to go back to wearing contact lenses. With luck you should be good as new day after tomorrow.

Hoping it goes well,
Fay

Hi Resist,

I hope that the surgery goes well and that this will be the last time that you have to deal with the problem.

Mike

It should be fine, I think the removal takes only like 15 minutes. Sounds worse than it is. Kind of fun though to say I am having eye surgery. :)

** Originally posted by nesielheum **

Kind of fun though to say I am having eye surgery. :)

It sounds even worse when stated "Open eye surgery!" Makes me cringe but from what I have heard eye surgery is actually fairly painless.
Best of luck to you.

** Originally posted by DALEG **

Good Luck, Resist!!!!!

It's over and I had no pain at all. The worst part was the clamps that held my eye lids open, that felt strange. He only had to cut the cyst out of the clear part that covers the eyeball. He said the cyst was jelly like. Some of the blood vessels were cortirized so there won't be to much redness. He didn't even do any stitches. Kind of hurts a bit right now but it doesn't look to bad. Now hopefully it won't come back.

I'm glad that everything went well. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Mike

glad everything worked out okay for you.

how are you feeling?

Hurts a litte to move my eye and now half of the white in my eye is pure red. Creepy to look at, would have been great for Halloween. Since I didn't get stitches you can see the patch area where he cut out the cyst. I am sure it will eventually heal together, as all the blood in that area indicates healing is in progress.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders