Epsom Salts

Hi Everyone

Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) taking Epsom salts baths?
Does it soothe or irritate?
ME
Irene

9 replies. Join the discussion

Good for pain, not really for skin. Try to buy sea salt, I buy it in the bulk section at Whole Foods.

I LOVE my epsom salts soakies! They are the very best part of my day. I have P (mostly scalp, ears, elbows, "downstairs", and PA (right now flaring in my fingers and toes). I take Humira weekly injections, naprosyn, dermasmoothe, locoid, vanos, clobetasol foam, blah, blah, blah. LOL, yinz guys know what I mean, it just goes on and on until my eyes glaze over. Anyways, exercise helps, so I try and hit the gym 3 times a week. Then I soak in an epsom salts tub for about 30 minutes, with my scalp under water. The salts actually keep my skin from getting overly dry where I don't have P, and helps with the itch and peeling where I do have it, especially on my scalp, which leads to less topicals. It feels great to soak my joints and muscles, and the scented salts they have now are kind of aromatherapeutic. Plus they are cheap, easy to find, and who doesn't need a good soak at the end of the day? :)

It helps my arthritis but does nothing for the psoriasis . The dr said the Epsom salt dries the skin out and that's bad .

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. My mom used to frequently soak in a bath of warm Epsom salt because she said it is good for muscle aches. Ironically, I bought a carton of it a few weeks ago to soak my feet in it since my psoriasis is on my feet. Thought it might help the itchiness. I'm holding off though, because now that I am using the glycerin, my itchiness has went away. I don't want to add another thing to the mix right now, so I'm going to continue with the glycerin and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting this question. :-)

I soak my hands and feet a few times a week in dead sea salt and when out...I use Epsom salt. It's calming for my PPP...however, I do apply an ointment right away since your skin is more absorbent when its been soaked. It's hasn't hurt me at all...It soothes when I'm having a flare..be sure to moisturize right after.

I used to use Epsom Salts but found that it tends to dry but I use baking soda to soften the water and it seems to help.

It really irritated my skin (i have it on hands & feet) Dried it out & had to go exteme with moistisers

The epson salts baths really helped my P by reducing redness and itchiness. I do apply the glycerin/witch hazel mixture after bathing so do not find that my skin is dry but is much softer. You must use at least 2 - 4 cups of salts in the bath and soak for 20 min. Love the salts baths!

I use the epsom salt bath .......1 cup plus 1/2 cup peroxide.....and it has helped with the itching a lot. I rub down with the witch hazel/glycerin combo and my itching stops.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders