Epsom Salt vs Sea Salt

** Originally posted by jrybak **

HI! I've read a lot about people taking baths and/or soaking their feet, hands, whatever in this stuff.... anyone know what the difference is between the two salts? Is one better than the other? I know what sea salt is obviously, but what exactly is epsom salt? Has anyone with pustular tried these soaks? How long do you soak & how often?
Thanks in advance.
~ Jen

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Me me me
I have tried both.

I don't know what Epson salt is. Maybe some one else does. But it is used for soaking. All salt ever did for me was make my skin more dry. Some say it promotes healing. I think the Epson is used more for bruises, sore muscles, that kind of thing. You can but it OTC. It does feel soothing while soaking. Won't hurt to try it if you want.

** Originally posted by DrTee **

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate, and sea salt would be sodium chloride.

You could google epsom salts and find out if it might be good for you. Seems to me sea salt would hurt with pustular.

Muchas gracias! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I tried the epsom salts once & only on my feet, but of course it's probably not going to do anything after just one time. It seems to me they would both dry out the skin & make it worse but several people said great things (but they didn't have pustular), so I was just curious.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

I have used the dead sea salts for probably a year and a half...in our outdoor hot tub...indoors I have used epsom salts ....
this is the content of the dead sea salts that I found:

"The sea is called "dead" because its high salinity means no fish or macroscopic aquatic organisms can live in it, although bacteria and microbial fungi are present. The salinity of the Dead Sea varies according to depth with the surface water being approximately 15% saline (5 times the average ocean salinity) and water near the bottom being saturated, such that salt precipitates out of solution onto the sea floor. The mineral content of the Dead Sea is significantly different from that of ocean water, consisting of approximately 53% magnesium chloride, 37% potassium chloride and 8% sodium chloride (table salt) with the remainder comprised of various trace elements." a nice feeling when using the salts,,,,didn't do much with the P but did keep the plaque from building up.....that was a big help.......

Thanks Sally. I forgot about the dead sea salts - I remember now reading somewhere that you used those. At the moment I am limited to just soaking my feet & ankles. PS - I'm coming over to use your hot tub! Our poor little hot water heater chugs & chugs, but just can't fill up the tub all the way! ;)
Once we get our house done, we'll have a whirlpool tub so I'm glad to know I can use salts in it.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

just make sure the pipes are PCV...which I'm sure they are......you'll love it...indoor or out?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders