enbrel tests and marijuana usage have questions

** Originally posted by brettcarpenter1 **

i am about to start taking enbrel next month and i am going to go in to get the blood work done and tb test will the doctor know that i am smoking pot by my blood test and if he will, does it really matter? i am not trying to brag about my usage of drugs but i need some help is anyone out there currently taking enbrel and smoking pot or were you smoking pot while getting the blood work and such? does it matter if i smoke pot while on enbrel?

13 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi brettcarpenter1,
sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you will meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you. maybe some one will come through and help with your ?

have a good weekend all

richard

** Originally posted by jad030 **

Brett,

I am sorry that you had to find us here, but you will find a great support system on these boards.

As for the bloodwork and the pot.....there is a specific test that they have to request to detect marijuana in your system, and I dont think the docs run it just for the routine stuff. You will probably have a CBC, SED rate, CRP, etc, but I dont think they will give you a tox screen, I have never had one due to the PsA and meds.

Julie

** Originally posted by rustylime **

Hi Brett and welcome to our family, good luck with the enbrel. Are you using it for P, PA or both? Are you using pot for medicinal reasons...I know people who believe they are smoking pot medicinally. They still buy it on the street, but they claim, rather than take drugs they smoke, mostly for pain...so I do not smoke pot but I guess whatever your reasoning, you have to thng about the pros and cons...enbrel is a biologic, are you taking it along with MTX or prednisone? I have always told my doctors about my drinking, I like vodka, and because of the drugs I have become a very social drinker, but there was a time where I thought I could do both, and my body told me I could not....My break outs were unbearable, and as time went on I realized that I could not frink and take biologics or MTX. I had to have liver biopsies every 6 months for 2 years. So, I want to welcome you and I hope someone out there can help you more than I can, this is very interesting and I am sure other participants will have views...very interested in outcome of this thread

** Originally posted by misterme **

Hi. I'm new to this website so I hope I'm writing to the right people. Ive had Psoriasis since I was a little child. I'm now 30 years old. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about 5 years ago. Any way my dermatologist wants to put me on Enbrel injection. I started smoking medical marijuana for my Crohn's disease about 3 month ago but not on a regular basis only when I have severe pain (Maybe one puff per week) I noticed my Psoriasis got much much worse since I started smoking medial marijuana. Has anybody heard about this? and now I come to my question which I'm ashamed to ask my dermatologist is it ok to smoke marijuana while on enbrel injection?
Thank You for your help

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

My .02...............

Your doctor(s) is/are the one type of person in your life that you need to be completely honest with.... especially when they're prescribing cocktails that are hazardous to your body. If we were talking about vitamins, I'd say it didn't matter... but these are drugs that quite literally change the way your body works. They NEED to know if you're drinking, doing drugs, etc, or they cannot help you to the best of their ability. Whether or not you take their advice is your business, but they still need to know.

hi misterme,
sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

Unless laws are different state to state I believe you MUST be told and agree to be tested for illegal drugs. Regardless of the law however, it is unlikely your doctor would care much anyways. Are you smoking for fun or for medicinal reasons? I always scoff at the claims that MJ can relieve pain. I've smoked buckets full of weed in my time and it has never relieved one ounce of pain, ever. But it sure is fun :)

** Originally posted by AlexDreamz **

I think you're right about the law, Ranger... cuz you can refuse a blood alcohol test, even if you're arrested. On the other hand, if you enter into a pain management contract with a doc, that's one of the things you agree to (I think).... I stick to my original comment :)

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

...On the other hand, if you enter into a pain management contract with a doc, that's one of the things you agree to (I think)....

It is. The standard PM contract allows them to pull blood *and* a UA for a drug/alcohol test at any time, and if something is there that shouldn't be, or if something *isn't* there that should be, it's "buh-bye." They don't screw around with this, especially if you're new in their program; the FDA and State Boards are all over them. Just as an example, my file has been reviewed 4 times in the past 2.5 years, and I'm on what is considered to be "low dose."

In this case however, I'd just be up-front with the doc. Biologics are nothing to screw around with, regardless of direct interaction or lack thereof, and the rheumy needs to know everything you are taking. In fact, that's the first part of my bi-monthly meeting with him: he goes over my med list (including all vitamins and supplements), one by one, and asks me if there are any changes. If there are, we talk about it, and frankly I'm grateful he pays such attention to detail.

** Originally posted by Kentucky_Girl **

incredibly enough, i just read a study about this very thing. i had a link to it in my e-mail where i had signed up for google alerts on PsA and also psoriatic spondylitis. sadly, the info was seriously lacking and said basically nothing and i deleted the e-mail and can't find it now. basically, some people said the MJ use helped and others didn't and they couldn't determine if it actually helped or not.

doctors are trained professionals and they are not going to call the police every time a patient reports recreational drug use or medical MJ use. i'm with the others who say the doc needs to know.

** Originally posted by Leo05 **

i am about to start taking enbrel next month and i am going to go in to get the blood work done and tb test will the doctor know that i am smoking pot by my blood test and if he will, does it really matter? i am not trying to brag about my usage of drugs but i need some help is anyone out there currently taking enbrel and smoking pot or were you smoking pot while getting the blood work and such? does it matter if i smoke pot while on enbrel?

Marijuana is known to be the harmless drug, which usually not lead to addiction. I hope you can go for Enbrel test even after consuming marijuana because your doctor may perform tests to make sure you do not have tuberculosis or other infections.

** Originally posted by mcarden **

You might check the thread from last month on THC and MTX. There was a lot of discussion there.

hi leo05,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders