Enbrel and temperature sensitivity

** Originally posted by JillyBean **

Hello all,

I get my Enbrel through the mail. I told them to deliver it today but they delivered it yesterday when my office was closed so the package (with the ice and cooler pack) sat out for a whole day and night. I was upset so I called my pharmacy. She told me that Enbrel is "stable" for a whole day out of the fridge and would be fine if I just put it in the fridge now. I hope she is right! Anyone else heard this? I thought it would be good information to pass on. I am always worried about my Enbrel "going bad" in delivery or during travel so it would be nice to know that it can be at a temp higher than 46 degrees if need be for a whole day. I just don't know if I can believe it!

Jill

9 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by dodgedarts **

I am always concerned about this too. One time, the whole thing was actually warm so I called the mail order company my insurance uses and told them to send me a new order, which they did. I've also picked it up directly from a pharmacy and opened the box to feel the vials and they were not cold, but since it was only one box (4 shots), I used them anyway.

I think (just an opinion) that it's stable (not in heat, but at room temperature) for at least a day or two, but that it might lose some it's potency over time if it's not refrigerated. I would only be concerned if it was sitting in the heat. If you are unsure, you should call your insurance company and ask that they send another order because yours arrived spoiled.

** Originally posted by makeitgoaway **

Call Enliven Services and get the answer straight from the source:

1-888-4ENBREL
(1-888-436-2735)
Monday through Friday,
8 am to 8 pm, Eastern time

Please post what they tell you.

Good luck!

** Originally posted by SCCatman **

Thats what I hear.
Some drugs degrade with heat, but enbrel is a protien that can "spoil".
So if it does not get too hot, it just shortens it shelf life.
Be warned that I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. Neither did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Dennis

Thank you all for the input. I did call Enliven. They told me to call my pharmacist, which I already did. The nurse at Enliven just quoted something like "Amgen Wyeth has data to support the stability of Enbrel at 77 degrees for 4 days" so I guess that means my Enbrel should be fine.

** Originally posted by luvwinnie **

Do you use Curascript Pharmacy?

Nope, I have Caremark mail-order pharmacy.

** Originally posted by strmchaser **

My Enbrel arrived warm a couple of months ago. I went ahead and used it after I called the pharmacy and complained. I did have a signifigant flare that month. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. Now the pharmacy makes sure that when it's delivered to me it has at least 3 ice packs in it. I was under the impression that it's a protein (like meat) and it shouldn't get warm. Linda

** Originally posted by lukefa **

I realize this question may sound silly, but my delivery got held up, 2 day air then ups ground in florida. The ice packs were liquid, nothing was hot, but nothing was cold either. I have to wonder since it is a protien, can it turn into something that is toxic or bad for you? I do not know for sure how long or how hot, I am guessing 24 hours at appx 70 to 80 degrees. I have been a member of the psoriasis foundation for many many years , just never came here or to any forums. I regret that. I have psoriasis for 25 yeaRS NOW, but I take the enbrel for my psoriatic arthritis( and it works great for me as far as stiffness and bad pain.
Thanks so much
Frank

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi frank,
sorry i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you will met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good good night all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders