Enbrel and Sore Throat

** Originally posted by SeanH529 **

I saw this discussion before and wanted to share my story. I've been on Enbrel for about 2 years now, its been great. Cleared me 100% when I first had it. Since then I still have P on my elbows and knees but it's nothing like what I used to live with.

About a month ago I got a pretty bad sore throat. I tried to get rid of it with tylenol and halls :) No dice. It got really bad to the point my throat was REALLY swollen. I went to the doctor. Throat culture, swab test came back negative for strep. Doc gave me amococyln (sorry for spelling). I started using it and after 4 days my P flaired like I haven't seen in YEARS! I mean I have it in places I never did before. My feet, hands, and face.areas I've always been lucky about all got it. My face is cleared up, but the feet and hands still have it.

My first thought was that I was allergic to the amococyln broke out in hives. It seemed like the right thing. I had little red dots all over and they were growing so fast I assumed they were moving around. I figured it wasn't hives when almost 2 weeks go by and I'm still broken out. I stopped taking the amox and thought I could get away with the throat since it felt bettr. Well about a week later my sore throat was right back where I started and I had to get to a doctor. So he gave me a different med and after the 10 days my throat is finally healed. Now the "Hives" are not hives. It's my P back all over I mean head to toe. Since my enbrel 2 years ago I have never seen this.

I went to the derm and asked him for a cortizone shot. In the past my doc has hit me with one to calm my body down, then the Enbrel can usually maintain. I got the shot, but it really hasn't done anything. I was only taking the 50 MG 1 time a week, but he has asked me to double up. Today I tool my 2nd shot in a week, and am hoping to get back to the way I used to be. My doc said this is the first time he's seen someone on Enbrel relapse after a respatory infectiion.

I just moved to the DC area, so I am dealing with a new doctor that doesn't really know my past. It makes me kinda sad because I loved my old doctor, AND wish I had her to talk to about all this.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? have they gotten back to the way they were? Also I noticed on the boards someone mentioned if ou stop enbrel sometimes your body can build a tolerance to it. I've been off of it for up to 2 or 3 weeks while waiting to switch health care providers. Think that might make a difference?

My new doc also told me most of his patients now are on the 50MG 2 times a week routine. I never did. I was on the 25mg 2 times then they made the 50mg prefilled and I went to that. ANY words of advice, or knowledge you guys could share with me on this topic would be greatful..

in closing my advice, if your on Enbrel and things are great, still take care of yourself in the winter time. One bad cold or sore throat can put you right back at square one. With my Enbrel I finally thought my worst P days were behind me. I am well aware that this disease is still in me and can strike whenever it really wants to.

Report post

14 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by chaimFL **

The descriptuion you give sounds like you had a nasty infection induced guttate outbreak. When guttate is triggered by an infection it almost seems that nothing will stop it and that is true to the point that you would have to clear up the infection first before cortizone, enbrel, or anything else will work.

Now that your infection has been cleared you should be able to see slow results of getting back to normal. I can tell you that I know people who were clear from various medications and an infection caused a total outbreak just like yours, so it's not uncommon and especially this time of year.

To be honest you may want to get checked to make sure that the infection has indeed cleared because even a low grade "almost gone" infection can linger and cause the psoriasis to do the same. Some of the people here that are prone to strep out breaks can tell you that many times 10 days of antibiotics is not sufficient.

I think you are on the right track and doubling the enbel dose was probably a good suggestion.

Report post

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Hi Sean,
I hope the double dose works. When I tried Enbrel the first time, I got bronchitis and had to stop E. Everytime after 2-3 injections I would get bronchitis again. When I stop E. completely, I had the worst flare my 41 year history. But, I have pppp and it is different than gutate.

Report post

** Originally posted by Golddoor **

SeanH-- I feel for you. I am having the exact same issues as you are right now. On Enbrel for a year and a half, with awsome results, until i got sick with strep last month. Then my P started spreading rapidly. New different kinds of spots. Covering me head to toe. I went to my Doc and was prescribes Amoxacillian. I have been on that for over 15 days and I am feeling better but my P is still spreading. I have even been taking MTX for the last 2 weeks, along with doubling up on Enbrel, but still flaring. I am going to see my derm this week. This is starting to freak me out. I hate P!

Report post

** Originally posted by SeanH529 **

Keep in touch with me, I'd like to know what you do to get your flair down. I'm still covered thats for sure but my wrist on my left hand which was in bad shape has been looking a little better. (god how pathetic is that sentence). I keep looking at it on the bright side, at least it isn't summer. I personally can handle it, but please be gone before the end of winter!

Report post

** Originally posted by dawnstanfa **

I think enbrel is wonderful but I do think it causes horrible rebounds. I started enbrel for PA had only a few psoriasis here and there. That was 4 years ago. I have had to stop 2 different times and each time the P is sooooooo much worse. Now I've been back on since end of Sept. and started to be less red. Then I got another infection. Very sore throat, cough, pink eye. (Teacher risk) went off for a week and on 10 days antibiotics. Took the next shot and I'll be darned - my throat hurts so bad can hardly swallow and inflamed eyes. On antibiotic/steriod drops for eyes. Sore throat is negative but hurts like heck. Now i have to skip a week or two and I'm afraid because my p is clearing nicely - still all over but much better. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone agrees with me - that enbrel is great but when you stop the p comes back twice as bad. I'm new here and hope to meet others and catch some good attitude about this disease. Take care all

Report post

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

I just went out today and bought Vitamin C tablets and a multi-vitamin to *hopefully* help get me through the winter without having to stop my Enbrel. I cannot afford to have to stop my injections because I know how horrible my psoriasis will come back, and I know I simply won't be able to deal with it. Has anyone found any good ways to combat sickness/colds etc. while on Enbrel to keep from having to stop it?

Report post

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

I just went out today and bought Vitamin C tablets and a multi-vitamin to *hopefully* help get me through the winter without having to stop my Enbrel.

If you just get a common cold, you probably won't have to stop it for long and you may not notice a difference. I take Humira (less frequent shots than Enbrel.) When I've gotten a cold my doc just has me put off the shot until it's gone. That's usually postponing a week or less. Of course, something more serious (flu, bronchitis) is a different situation.

Oh, and get a flu shot!

Report post

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

I saw this discussion before and wanted to share my story. I've been on Enbrel for about 2 years now, its been great. Cleared me 100% when I first had it. Since then I still have P on my elbows and knees but it's nothing like what I used to live with.

About a month ago I got a pretty bad sore throat. I tried to get rid of it with tylenol and halls :) No dice. It got really bad to the point my throat was REALLY swollen. I went to the doctor. Throat culture, swab test came back negative for strep. Doc gave me amococyln (sorry for spelling). I started using it and after 4 days my P flaired like I haven't seen in YEARS! I mean I have it in places I never did before. My feet, hands, and face.areas I've always been lucky about all got it. My face is cleared up, but the feet and hands still have it.

My first thought was that I was allergic to the amococyln broke out in hives. It seemed like the right thing. I had little red dots all over and they were growing so fast I assumed they were moving around. I figured it wasn't hives when almost 2 weeks go by and I'm still broken out. I stopped taking the amox and thought I could get away with the throat since it felt bettr. Well about a week later my sore throat was right back where I started and I had to get to a doctor. So he gave me a different med and after the 10 days my throat is finally healed. Now the "Hives" are not hives. It's my P back all over I mean head to toe. Since my enbrel 2 years ago I have never seen this.

I went to the derm and asked him for a cortizone shot. In the past my doc has hit me with one to calm my body down, then the Enbrel can usually maintain. I got the shot, but it really hasn't done anything. I was only taking the 50 MG 1 time a week, but he has asked me to double up. Today I tool my 2nd shot in a week, and am hoping to get back to the way I used to be. My doc said this is the first time he's seen someone on Enbrel relapse after a respatory infectiion.

I just moved to the DC area, so I am dealing with a new doctor that doesn't really know my past. It makes me kinda sad because I loved my old doctor, AND wish I had her to talk to about all this.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? have they gotten back to the way they were? Also I noticed on the boards someone mentioned if ou stop enbrel sometimes your body can build a tolerance to it. I've been off of it for up to 2 or 3 weeks while waiting to switch health care providers. Think that might make a difference?

My new doc also told me most of his patients now are on the 50MG 2 times a week routine. I never did. I was on the 25mg 2 times then they made the 50mg prefilled and I went to that. ANY words of advice, or knowledge you guys could share with me on this topic would be greatful..

in closing my advice, if your on Enbrel and things are great, still take care of yourself in the winter time. One bad cold or sore throat can put you right back at square one. With my Enbrel I finally thought my worst P days were behind me. I am well aware that this disease is still in me and can strike whenever it really wants to.

Did they do just the rapid strep test or the full thing...there have been a lot of false negatives on the rapid tests...I would ask for a repeat strep test after youve been off the antibiotics for 3 to 4 days. just to be sure

Report post

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

also get a pnuemonia vaccine...they are usually given every 5 to 7 years, depends on the DR.. just a note for those of you who are already doing injections ask the Dr to write you a script for the pnuemonia vaccine and get it filled at yor pharmacy for your co-pay...it will be a lot cheaper than the 85.00 for the Dr office to give it to you

Report post

** Originally posted by ktdogs6 **

Don't forget that a good multivitamin, fish oil capsules, and flaxseed capsules may help when you have bad outbreaks like some of you have described. I mean this is not a scientific given, but many have said they help. Take them with meals, though, to keep from having an upset stomach, if you are prone to that.

Report post

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

Carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with you, and never touch your nose or eyes unless you know your hands are clean. Don't use the 'antibacterial' soaps, as they kill more 'good' microbes than 'bad' ones.

I thought Hand Sanitizers also caused problems with resistance or something? Maybe I'm making that up...but I don't use Hand Sanitizers anyway because my psoriasis on my hands has caused me to have open fissures all over my fingers and palms and man does it sting when that stuff gets in your cuts!

I'm getting a flu shot in about a week, take a multivitamin everyday, and regularly eat flaxseed...so hopefully I can at least keep the sickness at bay a bit! I start to go downhill if I miss an Enbrel dose by ONE day, I cannot imagine what I will have to deal with if I'm off it for over a week.

Thanks for all the suggestions too!

Report post

** Originally posted by RichJ **

I think enbrel is wonderful but I do think it causes horrible rebounds. I started enbrel for PA had only a few psoriasis here and there. That was 4 years ago. I have had to stop 2 different times and each time the P is sooooooo much worse. Now I've been back on since end of Sept. and started to be less red. Then I got another infection. Very sore throat, cough, pink eye. (Teacher risk) went off for a week and on 10 days antibiotics. Took the next shot and I'll be darned - my throat hurts so bad can hardly swallow and inflamed eyes. On antibiotic/steriod drops for eyes. Sore throat is negative but hurts like heck. Now i have to skip a week or two and I'm afraid because my p is clearing nicely - still all over but much better. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone agrees with me - that enbrel is great but when you stop the p comes back twice as bad. I'm new here and hope to meet others and catch some good attitude about this disease. Take care all

hi dawn stanta,
im sorry that i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

Report post

** Originally posted by BJLewis **

Some thing that really works for me is vitamin C. The trick is to take enough of it and often. I take 1-3 grams (1,000-3,000 mg) every hour until the symptoms are gone. If you start this at the 1st sign of a cold, you can sometimes stop it in one dose! After my symptoms are gone, I take about 1 gram 4 times a day for about a week then go back to my usual 1 gram twice a day. If vitamin C upsets your stomach, try Ester-C, it's easier on the stomach.

Report post

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

So, I woke up feeling ill this past Saturday (11-22), I was feeling worse (sore throat, stuffy head, cough etc.) when I woke up Sunday morning so I skipped my usual Enbrel dose on Sunday (11-23). I did not, thank God and knock on wood, have any type of rebounding with the psoriasis that I have managed to clear in the last few months so, still feeling terrible today, I skipped my regular Wednesday (11-26) dose. My erythrodermic psoriasis has popped up a bit, but nothing that is worrying me much, as it wasn't fully clear anyway and everything else is still in check, knock on wood. For something like a cold/sore throat, how long have you all removed yourselves from Enbrel before? I'm certain it isn't anything serious (I might as well be a doctor with every drug I've been on and every condition I've been treated for in my life) and it's the holiday weekend so no bothering my doctor this weekend, so please don't suggest it. Should I simply wait until all my symptoms are gone, until I'm feeling better, or even longer after I'm back to normal? Thanks for the help!

BJLewis- I've upped my intake of Vitamin C, so hopefully I can kick this quick!

Report post

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders