enbrel and alcohol

** Originally posted by sabsmako **

Why does it seem like every time I post something I only get like 2 responses? Oh well I guess...maybe at least 1 person can help me with this question? Do you know if it's OK to drink alcohol while taking Enbrel? I recently turned 21 in late August and I've been soooo incredibly stressed out (you'd know in another post if anyone actually read mine) and I just got a little too tipsy I think last night. So I was stupid and wasn't thinking about the side affects but didn't know if anyone had any input. I guess ANYTHING from ANYONE would be nice.

56 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by strmchaser **

Hi, I drink while on Enbrel. It's methotrexate that you are not allowed to drink while your on it. I hope you are feeling better. Are you still comming to AZ?? Linda

** Originally posted by Wordsmith **

I thought I would respond. I don't know the answer to your question.

Scott

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Sabsmako,

I don't think that we've met so let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the Board! :cool: Nice to meet you.

You asked:

Why does it seem like every time I post something I only get like 2 responses?

I'm sorry that your posts haven't been getting responded to. That happens sometimes. The Board has been very quiet lately. People must be busy with going back to school and the hurricanes, etc.

Now back to your question about alcohol and Enbrel.

Hi, I drink while on Enbrel. It's methotrexate that you are not allowed to drink while your on it

As Linda said, it's o.k. to drink alcohol while on Enbrel. (Here's a link for some additional information: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/enb1159.shtml.) As Linda also noted you can't drink alcohol while taking Methotrexate. (Here's a link: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/met1257.shtml.) You also can't drink alcohol if you're taking Soriatane (Here's a link: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/sor1698.shtml.)

Regardless of the treatment they are using, some people find that drinking alcohol causes their psoriasis to get worse, so you need to pay attention to your body. It may tell you to stay away from alcohol. Here's a link to a previous discussion: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4084.

I hope this helps.

Good luck. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any other questions.

Mike

** Originally posted by lpagano **

Hi: :o

I drank with Enbrel, now that I added Soriatane I don't.

** Originally posted by Mystic **

I also enjoy a drink and I'm taking Enbrel. No problems.
Debbie

Well thanks for the input everyone it was helpful. And yes Linda we probably still will be going to PHX but have to save up the money to go and am having a lot of problems right now. More problems have been added onto the old ones, so fun fun. We're now having problems with our neighbors trying to sell us drugs and maybe not being able to get out of our lease. So who knows what we're going to do.

** Originally posted by timothy41 **

I drink now and again, I'm Irish :D OK, offton!!! I have ben on enbrel almost 2 years and never had a reaction. I have noticed in the past that as your body is processing alcohol it can dry your skin and make the p worse.

Good luck. by the way, I'm drinking a Stella Artois beer right now. I just got back from a 2 week work project!!!

** Originally posted by studiobum **

To those of you that drink and are on Enbrel:

When you drink, is it only 1 or 2 beers? Can you drink a 6 pack of beer without a reaction? I was considering going on Enbrel this fall / winter but I want to be able to have a couple of beers from time to time. I was on Soriatane last year and couldn't have a beer for about 8 months. Is Enbrel as awesome as everybody says it is? I was going to go on it last year but the insurance company denied the treatment and wanted to try something else first, so I was stuck with Soriatane. I want to try Enbrel. I wanted to go on Enbrel last year but my insurance company is D-U-M.

** Originally posted by SCCatman **

It is OK to drink all you want After you take Embrel.
It is VERY IMPORTIANT YOU NOT DRINK BEFORE YOU TAKE EMBREL!!!!
Unless of course, someone else is giving you the injection ;)

My understand of the research is that moderate drink does not normaly affect P, but that heavy drinking can.

Dennis

** Originally posted by misales **

Personally I have no battle with alcohol, in fact, I drink rather rarely. A couple of months ago I got a beer for me and my neighbor after working in the yard and the born on date was like a year old.

I occasionally will have one in a bar but it is not a priority for me I guess it's more like being social.

When I was younger and pre P I would have a few at parties, not no more however. My bigest problem is the smoking. I wish I could kick it.

It's probably as dangerous as anything else you might abuse, smoking, food, inactivity. I was on enbrel for about 6 months and for the few times I probably had a drink it was no big deal that I can remember.

Moderation would be the key normally but in regards to your skin ask your doc/derm thats what you pay them for.

** Originally posted by ALowe **

It is OK to drink all you want After you take Embrel.
It is VERY IMPORTIANT YOU NOT DRINK BEFORE YOU TAKE EMBREL!!!!
Unless of course, someone else is giving you the injection ;)

My understand of the research is that moderate drink does not normaly affect P, but that heavy drinking can.

Dennis

That's funny, Sue was told that alcohol while not contra-indicated, was advised that it was worst to keep her consumption of alcohol to a moderate levels, but that at best, he preferred she drank NO ALCOHOL at all.

In other words, better safe than sorry.

People need to face the fact that drinking enough to get high is not good for anyone. Being drunk is one of the most obnoxious things I can think of. A glass of wine or another drink is not that bad, but NO ONE should drink enough to cloud your brain and especially when taking ANY medication. We all know that things(meds and alcohol) do different things to different people.

And for all you "older folks" telling a 21 yr. old that it's OK,,,,,:confused:
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

How do I know,,,,I've been there. No, I'm not an alcoholic,,,,,,,just got wise enough to know better.

It's not as if I'm going out and getting wasted everynight. That was the first night I've ever even been relatively "drunk." Yeah I've tried a few things over the years and experimented as any other human being, but it's not like I use and abuse. I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking socially every once in awhile. Why do you think there are so many less traffic accidents in other countries when it comes to drunk driving because social drinking is a lot more acceptable and you're not looked at as being evil for doing it. No one on here was giving me permission to get wasted every day, it was a simple question about whether it would have any reactions to the enbrel. I'm an adult and can make my own decisions...so you can relax ok?

** Originally posted by nitegale **

it was a simple question about whether it would have any reactions to the enbrel. I'm an adult and can make my own decisions...so you can relax ok?

I will answer the question for you; I have not read anywhere where alcohol interfere's with taking Enbrel.

** Originally posted by chaimFL **

If I recall correctly your question was whether or not enbrel reacts negatively with alcohol. So to answer your question without making assumptions about your alcohol use or intended use drinking while taking enbrel is fine. Enbel is not metabolized through your liver therefore there is no interaction between the two.

** Originally posted by misales **

Why does it seem like every time I post something I only get like 2 responses?

So how many did you get this time???? All you had to do on this one is ask your doctor. Your docs got a lot of power prescribing you that $2K a month biologic. Also, your doc might know more about your situation, blood work, etc... to give you some better advise on drinking with your meds.

I'm curious. What did your doctor tell you when you asked him or her???

** Originally posted by nesielheum **

I'm an adult and can make my own decisions...so you can relax ok?

Holy Moly is that a whelt on the back of your head. It looks as though you just got thumped! What does that say?
Alcohol can be a very touchy subject for many people. Moderation is the key, and if it affects you adversely, don't drink. A recovering alcoholic friend of mine explained it to me this way.
There are three kinds of people in this world.
1. Drunks that should never drink.
2. Most everybody else that can drink in moderation.
3. Tea-totalers that could use a drink or two on occasion.

He claimed that his family was comprised of either 1's or 3's.

I think it was Brad that suggested that you run this question by your dermatologist. I would consider this good advice.

** Originally posted by strmchaser **

Hi Granny, It is my opinion that when a question is asked that a truthful answer should be given. Sabsmako IS an adult after all and was not asking my permission to drink. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is not up to me to judge anyone on here. My Dr. told me that alcohol is fine while on Enbrel, that is a fact, not an opinion. Linda

** Originally posted by ARL **

My cousins son is on Embrel for rheumathoid arthritis,,,he asked his Dr. can I drink and take this med. The Dr' said tell me are you hear to get something to try and help you or are you here to butt heads.... Do not drink.....How will the blood tests reveal true readings... So the choice is to the person.... He is a young guy and enjoyed a couple of beers but chose not to,,, his illness was more important to try and treat,,he felt he didn't need other complications....

I guess what it comes down to is if it doesn't help, your going to have to ask yourself, is it because of the alcohol or did my body not agree with the meds. So now your back to square one,,and now you try another med. and than this goes on and on,,,, remember everyones body reacts different... I would never encourage you to drink while taking meds of any kind.... i also wish others wouldn't encourage it as well. No one knows what can happen to each individual. Maybe it would be a good idea to at least wait until your off of any meds ,,, than you can enjoy a drink or two...

** Originally posted by bratsareus **

I think what Granny was trying to get across was its just not a good idea to encourage young people to drink. How would all of you feel if you knew people were giving your 21 year old kid the green light to drink? Ok so legally he may be an adult, but come on thinking back when I was 21, I was not really grown up yet. At that age many people are not yet responsible when it comes to drinking.
sabsmako, I'm not saying that you are not responsible, because you may be a very mature 21, but for the most part at that age people tend to do things in excess.
Deciding whether to drink or not is a personal decision, but I think its a good idea to talk it over with your doctor first.

Patty

So how many did you get this time???? All you had to do on this one is ask your doctor. Your docs got a lot of power prescribing you that $2K a month biologic. Also, your doc might know more about your situation, blood work, etc... to give you some better advise on drinking with your meds.

I'm curious. What did your doctor tell you when you asked him or her???

The night that I originally posted the question was on a weekend and wasn't able to call the doctor's office (obviously). I just figured that maybe someone out there would have had the same experience as I have. I called her office today but was out so she's supposed to call me back tomorrow. It seems as if me asking this question is a big deal. Why?? It's okay for people to ask how to spell words on the message board that has absolutely nothing to do with psoriasis, but I can't ask a psoriasis related question??? That's strange.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders