elbows lock up??

** Originally posted by jhills2 **

Hello!

im 20 and have been on Enbrel for..geez..almost 7 months now and it did wonders! now ive been on MTX for 2 months as well ( its doing jack scrat)

I feel great! can work out all the time! lost 40 lbs and fit again and feel like a new "normal" teen

however my elbows STILL lock up...anyone else have this?

For example if im on the phone for a couple minutes and get off...i can't move my elbows AT ALL. it takes a while for me to slowly rock em back and forth in order to move again. doctors advice...pile on the MTX...ugh.. useless people

Just looking for thoughts on this!! weird how THIS is the only thing really acting up besides my bad knee sometimes but geez...seems terrible when everything has been managed very well with enbrel!!

thanks!

23 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Flycaster **

Mine get really sore and painful from time to time, but no true "lock-up." Funny, elbows and are the only joints other than those in my feet where my PsA is symmetrical. Jeeze, jghills2, that must be awful - do NSAIDs give you any relief whatsoever?

** Originally posted by 2trees **

I have days (like now) where i cannot put my elbows on the table or rest them on anything it hurts so bad but no lockups. Have you tried massage or seen a physio therapist? Give the MTX a bit more time sometimes it can take a bit longer to work and if you went off you may see that it really is helping. good luck!

** Originally posted by Redboy **

Gee I hope your elbow will fix somehow...I feel sorry cos you are young man 20.

My PsA did **** up my 2 elbows and had to total replace on my L elbow...3 years ago. I'm total free from this pain and stupid lock up lol

** Originally posted by CaseyC **

Dehydration and low potassium levels can also cause muscles to lock up. I get it in my right foot sometimes. Hurts like heck. I hope it's something as simple as that.

Dehydration and low potassium levels can also cause muscles to lock up. I get it in my right foot sometimes. Hurts like heck. I hope it's something as simple as that.

i wish!! i eat as healthy as can be and drink water like a fish!! my elbows have been this way since i first had PsA.

oh well. i can't complain. everything else is VERY manageable and feel very lucky/appreciative that enbrel has done this much for me !!
I will give MTX another 6 months...then i deserve to be able to go to the bar with my friends and just have a beer... i have put off all parties/drinking since freshmen year due to these diseases.

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

Thats the right attitude! Don't let PsA change what you wanna do in life. Your young and should be able party with the best of em! The hell w/ MTX. I stopped taking mine and I will refuse to take it again. At least until I try ever other med twice and i'm left with no other alternative! As for the elbow, i'll ask my co-worker tomorrow when I see him. He has Psa and his elbows gives him problems from time to time. He's had a few cortisone shots I know in the last few years. But other then that, i'm not sure what he does.

Thats the right attitude! Don't let PsA change what you wanna do in life. Your young and should be able party with the best of em! The hell w/ MTX. I stopped taking mine and I will refuse to take it again. At least until I try ever other med twice and i'm left with no other alternative! As for the elbow, i'll ask my co-worker tomorrow when I see him. He has Psa and his elbows gives him problems from time to time. He's had a few cortisone shots I know in the last few years. But other then that, i'm not sure what he does.

thank you! i hardly EVER think about my PsA,

i had one cortisone shot in my knee back in the day that worked MAGIC for a couple months...it seems icing and my heating pad work help but really do nothing about the "locking"
idk why it happens...Dr's never gave me a straight answer...hmm

i just don't want any damage done to my elbows...i love playing basketball and i really have to warm up in order for my elbows not to screw up my shot.

maybe i can have a darth vader conversion...id be down for that..

** Originally posted by Ranger05 **

thank you! i hardly EVER think about my PsA,

i had one cortisone shot in my knee back in the day that worked MAGIC for a couple months...it seems icing and my heating pad work help but really do nothing about the "locking"
idk why it happens...Dr's never gave me a straight answer...hmm

i just don't want any damage done to my elbows...i love playing basketball and i really have to warm up in order for my elbows not to screw up my shot.

maybe i can have a darth vader conversion...id be down for that..

Glad you are doing so well! PsA is no big deal for me either these days. Pre-treatment I was a mess, but now i'm pretty much back to normal. It really makes me sad when I read on here how bad it can be for some people. Your elbow will be fine i'm sure. Maybe just a flair of sorts your going through.

** Originally posted by bern1961 **

If I was a young man of 20 and wanted to party I would give the mtx time to get out of your system. Your old enough IMO to make that call just please take care of your liver. Cheers to the class of 2012.

...Maybe just a flair of sorts your going through.

Huh, hadn't thought of that. Jgheels2, is this ALL the time, or just every now and then?

** Originally posted by tysmom **

jhills2,
My 19 year old son was just diagnosed with PA. His left elbow has been locked up for several months although it is better now. He still can not straighten his arm all the way and just like you, it really messes up his basketball shot! Tyler has been taking sulfasalazine and meloxicam. Even though he feels somewhat better, his C-reactive and SED rate doubled in one month so now we are waiting on approval from insurance for Enbrel. I asked the Dr. about Tyler's locked elbow and he said to try to stretch it every day and not to do anything that causes pain. I asked about physical therapy but the Dr. wants him to start on Enbrel first and then worry about the elbow. Once when Tyler was lifting weights, he could hear some strange cracking noises in that elbow. Do you have that also? That's great that you are feeling better and able to go back to your active self. I am anxious for Tyler to start on Enbrel so that he can do the same. He really hasn't been active outside of his regular job because he just gets too tired. It's sad sometimes because we used to call him the "energizer bunny". How long have you had PA and do you have skin involvement also? Tyler does not have skin P now. Thank you for sharing! Tina (Ty's Mom)

** Originally posted by jagfangirl27 **

My elbows are all right, just painful ... but my knees will kind of lock up if I sit in one position for too long. My sacroiliac joints lock up too. I think it is just a part of PsA for some people! You are doing the right thing by just easing back into motion. Consider a chiropractor, because sometimes things that you think are your elbow are really in your back. Massage therapy does help a lot as well, even if you're all loosey goosey like a youngster should be. I wish you well on your path to optimum health.

jhills2,
My 19 year old son was just diagnosed with PA. His left elbow has been locked up for several months although it is better now. He still can not straighten his arm all the way and just like you, it really messes up his basketball shot! Tyler has been taking sulfasalazine and meloxicam. Even though he feels somewhat better, his C-reactive and SED rate doubled in one month so now we are waiting on approval from insurance for Enbrel. I asked the Dr. about Tyler's locked elbow and he said to try to stretch it every day and not to do anything that causes pain. I asked about physical therapy but the Dr. wants him to start on Enbrel first and then worry about the elbow. Once when Tyler was lifting weights, he could hear some strange cracking noises in that elbow. Do you have that also? That's great that you are feeling better and able to go back to your active self. I am anxious for Tyler to start on Enbrel so that he can do the same. He really hasn't been active outside of his regular job because he just gets too tired. It's sad sometimes because we used to call him the "energizer bunny". How long have you had PA and do you have skin involvement also? Tyler does not have skin P now. Thank you for sharing! Tina (Ty's Mom)

Hey!

Yes i do sometimes hear the cracking noise..kind of like when people crack their knuckles and such!
I try to stretch my arms but i really don't know any great elbow stretches...nothing seems to really do the trick for me. Like i said before, its very weird! i can't stretch my arm out straight because of the inflammation. For the most part if i keep my arms moving i really feel fine but its just when i go < 90 degree angle it just locks right up and takes a few minutes to move again..then its fine!

I have had Psa for about...2 years now. i have had psoarisis since grade school however. nothing too serious. my entire body is cleared up except my scalp ( NOTHING except the derma smooth all night stuff has worked to clear it)

I hope Ty gets the enbrel!! it works magic and i havn't had anything, not one negative side effect!
if you have any questions please feel free to message me!

** Originally posted by Redboy **

Hate to say that lock is sign of bad damaged joints... :(

** Originally posted by jagfangirl27 **

I was thinking the same thing ...

yah i would have thought the same as well..but i had a bunch of x rays done over last summer ish...and my elbows were fine they said. (my elbows were teh same then as well with the locking)

only some random lil bone in my wrist was like poof gone..i really didn't notice it? hahaha
they said it was no biggie.

This sounds like more like tendonopathy to me - true, there is damage either way, but if his x-rays are clear this is what's left. I've had my left shoulder lock up, but it was more an issue of intense pain than a joint "catch"; like jgheels2, I have to work it slowly loose to be able to use it again.

I'm getting the shoulder shot up next week with Kenalog 40 - jhills2, have you considered this for your elbows?

** Originally posted by ladykahu **

Maybe try and see a physio therapist, try and find an older 'experianced' one who can maybe give you a few different versions of some stretches for your arms.
I see two, one who is via the free health system and younger who often admits she only knows 'one way' of doing something, and then I pay sometimes to go see my more experianced guy who comes up with alternative exercises to try if the 'normal' ones are causeing me pain or not working.

Natalie

** Originally posted by tysmom **

jhills2,
Thank you for your response. I did a little research on the internet for Tyler's locked elbow and I found 2 stretching exercises. I don't remember the website but it said to hold your arm (with locked elbow) out in front of yourself with your palm up. Take your other hand and gently grasp the finger tips (of the palm up hand) and push them toward yourself. When you do this, your fingers (of palm up hand) should be pointing to the floor and your wrist is at a 90 degree angle. The other stretch is to hold your arm (with locked elbow) out in front of yourself but with your palm down this time. Take your other hand and gently push down on the top of your outstretched hand. While pushing down with your hand, try to push up with your outstretched hand/arm. This creates resistance. I don't know if these exercises will help you in any way but everything that I read said to stop when/if you feel pain. I have tried to encourage Tyler to do these exercises or any exercises for that matter but he hasn't been interested for now. I don't push too hard because I know that he is tired. Another thing his rheumy said was to just repeatedly stretch out that arm as far as he can (w/out) pain. Tyler's x-rays looked great too and the Dr. mentioned that Tyler doesn't have any damage. As far as he can see anyway. Thank you for the offer to message you. When Tyler starts his Enbrel, I might have more questions. One question I have now-- do you get vaccines for flu and pneumonia? Tyler has never had these and I was wondering if he should get them before he starts on Enbrel. Thanks so much!!

** Originally posted by tetons **

My hips lock up from time to time and some of my fingers. I have not experienced elbows locking up though. It is the same with the hips as elbow tough. If in one position for too long, will lock up. Can be very embarrasing. I am doing some quad strengthening exercises now hoping that will help.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders