Effective over-the-counter body creams or lotions

** Originally posted by finsfan **

Well, my P is causing the lesions to crack. I have been bad, admittedly, about moisturizing and my skin becomes acclimated to say Taclonex and Dovonex. I will say that the tip about using Desitin on the genital inverse P has worked in the folds between leg and crotch. 80% effective or so.

So, what is some OTC body lotions or moisturizers that help lessen the severity of skin cracking? I went to Walmart and they Pharmacist there suggested Eucerin since it is a cream and it said on back for the intense therapy one (14 oz tube around $11.00) that it was for excema and P. I also read some threads about Cetaphil, Lubriderm and Aveeno (and of course there are the Equate equivalents).

Does really putting it on after stepping out of the shower help all that much? Would I be better off to just get say Vaseline Intensive Therapy or Jergens and slather that on say after showers and before bed?

Sam

22 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Sam,

This is one of those "it depends" questions. Everyone and their psoriasis is different and a moisturizer that relieves one person's symptoms doesn't help someone else. Take Jergens lotion for example. I like the way it smells, but it irritates my psoriasis. It also stings if my skin is cracked. The only way to know if it will help or cause any problems for your psoriasis is to use it. (Any time that I try any thing new, I buy the smallest size that I can find. I also spot test it to see how my psoriasis will react to it.) When it comes to moistuzers, I find that my psoriasis reacts negatively to just about anything that has a fragrance in it. I usually don't have a problem with those moisturizers that are labled "fragrance free", "non-irritating and/or "for sensitive skin". Examples are Cetaphil (http://www.cetaphil.com/Products/Moisturizers.aspx), Eucerin (http://www.eucerinus.com/products/hb_original.html) and Palmer's Cocoa Butter formula (I prefer the unsented version -- it's hard to find) and Palmer's Shay Butter formula (it has a slight fragrance) (http://www.etbrowne.com/products/Default.aspx). Some people swear by the more expensive "body butters" from places like the Body Shop (http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=271607&highlight=Bigelow#po st271607) and lately, several people have been singing the praises of a moisturizer called CaraVe: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22918.

Even though you asked about over the counter lotions, I've found that the most effective moisturizer I've ever used is a prescription moisturizer called Lac-Hydrin (the generic version Lac-Lotion is just as good) (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/amlac.htm). It puts all other moisturizers to shame. The bad news is that it stings VERY BADLY if there are any cracks or open lesions, so it has to be used with EXTREME caution. (I very rarely use it for that reason.) There's another prescription moisturizer called Hylira. I don't know very much about it (it seems to be very hard to find) but here's a link to the thread where it's discussed: http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21482. Here's a link to their website: http://www.hylira.com/.

I hope this helps.

Mike

** Originally posted by jb0907 **

I have found that OTC lotions don't do much, except keep the scales down for a short period of time. Especially in the winter time when long sleeves and long pants are a must. For now, I'm using Suave cocoa butter lotion which hasn't hurt, but it hasn't helped. I also have used Suave medicated lotion (probably comparable to Eucerin) and I liked it much more. It didn't treat the P but it definately helped with the winter itch.

I'd be curious if anyone else has had good results with other OTC medicated lotions. I'm too cheap to buy it if it's not going to work well.

Also, I have bought medicated, moisterizing body wash to use in the shower and scrub the scales off and then put on Rx Salex. This, honetly, worked the best out of everything, especially for itch. Salex honestly is a miracle working for me in the winter. While it doesn't clear up the redness, it does reduce imflamation and scale. It has an expensive co-pay, though. I belive my last bottle was $50. But it's typically in a big bottle and little bit goes a long way so I got about 5 months of use out of it. If the OTC things don't work, you may want to ask your derm about it. IMO, it's worth it.

** Originally posted by Joann71 **

You can try Cerave lotion or cream. Others on the board recommended this at one time and I tried it. It doesn't really clear my skin but it does help with the itching.

** Originally posted by Mikel **

Try it & feel the difference. If you can apply their daily moisturising lotion right after, you dont need anything else.keep both off your face though.

** Originally posted by finsfan **

The Eucerin is a cream and it really seems to cut down on the scaling for me. It is not like some lotions and moisturizers that seem to make the skin either greasy (like with too much petrolateum like plain Vaseline) nor does it just soak in and seem like nothing was put on, but a 14 ounce tub will be gone in about half a month. Wont exactly clear me up, but will cut down on the scaling and it helps with the itching somewhat.

Palmers is at Walmart and is like $4 so I may pick up that to try before bed. I use the Eucerin when I get out of the shower like it said. I also may go to CVS to try the Cerave.

Exfoliating bars can be rough on me, or else they just dont really slough off the scaling. I use a poof pad of mesh when I need to do that, and just use regular soap like Pre de Provence that is a vegetable-based soap.

sam

** Originally posted by karebear1 **

I have used MG327 (I think that's the correct name)- It is in a blue/white tub- about $12 @ CVS. My P does fade a little and it does help the itch, but it is very greasy. Good for when you are itchy and in pain and don't know what else to use. Karen

** Originally posted by Heatheranne1027 **

I like the aveeno lotion with the menthol. It cools the burn of the itch and it's not greasy. It doesn't make my P disappear but it calms the itch and does make it smoother.

** Originally posted by dlruss **

If you live near a Trader Joe's their store brand is incredible! (as-is their shampoo and conditioner!)

I use their Mid-Summer's Night Cream and think it's the best stuff I've ever used. Plus at at around $2 you can't go wrong!

** Originally posted by swilli **

Dr. Weil for Origins Plantidote products have been a lifesaver for me. I used the Body Cream and watched in inflammation go down. I love the face serum for my face...keeps everything smooth and moisturized. Cream is expensive so I literally just put it on the spots and used DHC Ceramide lotion everywhere just out of the shower.

I hope this helps...not the cheapest fix but the best one I've had since I was 13 and I am almost 29!

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi swilli,
welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by Westibone **

Everyone here understands the importance of having a good moisturizer for daily use. I've tried quite a few different kinds, and I've found one that I'm quite happy with. I use Vaseline Cocoa Butter lotion (comes in a bronze colored bottle, I get the BIG one), and it really does a great job as a general moisturizer. I just put it on about 5 minutes after I get out of the shower, and it keeps my skin pretty soft for a full 24 hours until the next shower. It's even working quite well during these winter months, which is the true test for any moisturizer. Just thought I would chime in and share, as I've been very satisfied with this product.

** Originally posted by SCCatman **

by far my fav unmedicated is Olay in shower mosterizer.
You put it on toward the end of your shower, then rinse it off!
It is like a conditiner for the skin, once you use if for a few days, you can feel the effects for everal days after you stop.

For out of shower, I like Aveno with oatmeal, Kroger has a house brand of the same stuff but much cheaper.

Dennis

** Originally posted by 4thcorner **

Hi

For the past 3 weeks, I've been using Bag Balm *very* successfully on my hands & feet. I slather it on several times a day, minimizing washing in between. I put on thin cotton gloves (replaced with new ones *at least* daily - try glovesonline.com) and worn under larger gloves of various sorts, depending on my tasks, and sock liners (usually knee high panty hose) + socks afterward to keep from sliming the world. I also soak my hands in a cool water-baking soda solution whenever they started hurting or itching, plus the feet in the evening.

In fact, this has been working so well that I've dropped the Dovonex entirely. I've tried everything in other listings plus a range of "organics" (klkui, avocado, olive, coconut oil; Avalon, Alba Botanica), udder balm, vasoline etc. Bag Balm is best.

At least, I think the Bag Balm is helping. But I also started 3 - 4,000 IU of vit. D3 daily starting back in mid-December when my D3 levels were diagnosed as low. Now's about the time bloods levels ought to be rising. Plus in the past 3 weeks I've added anti-inflammatories, starting with ~10 days of aspirin therapy, replaced last week by vit. C (1000) and tumeric (1000 mg). My thinking was that any way I could get the inflammation down might help break the cycle somewhat.

Having made several changes at one time, Of course I can't say why things are improving; might be the phases of the moon, too But I like the protective coating that Bag Balm provides. (Do wash it off if you eat or prepare food with naked hands, though).

4thCorner

** Originally posted by ktdogs6 **

One thing I have found, to my surprise, after using everything available, is St. Ives chamomile (and something) lotion. Very inexpensive and has been disappearing off the shelves as of late. In fact, it's hard to find it nowadays. I use it as an adjunct to my prescribed lotion and have had good success with it.

** Originally posted by mom2IS **

I really like mary kay extra emollient night cream for my face, and eucerin exra moisturizing lotion. I have bought SO SO SO many! I just got the new Oil of Olay extra moisturzing and it's not quite as good as the eucerin.

The thing that really cleared me was narrow UVB trearment.
Good luck.

** Originally posted by beautifulxmistake **

It's the best I've ever used! It's not greasy or sticky, it doesn't stain, it's amazing =]].

It's fairly cheap, I get the 1lb jar, it's like, $9.99 at Walgreens. If it's not on the shelves, they should have it behind the rx counter, but you don't need a perscription for it.

I also really like the Aveeno lotions, but they are kind of expensive.

** Originally posted by wantthisgone **

I too have been primarily using fragrance free lotions. My psoriasis started suddenly last summer. Before it was diagnosed it was thought that I was having allergic reations so I did the patch test which showed I was allergic to fragrance. Now I believe that this positive test was actually due to P. I've been experimenting with a variety of creams/lotions to find what works for me. I find that I'll use some products for a few days and switch so my body doesn't get used to one thing and then have it stop working. I switched doctors in December, to a well known doctor in this field. I asked him what I can use to help with the itching and he told me to get Gold Bond. I have to admit that I'm surprised I haven't read any postings for this product. Now I swear by it. It has helped with the itching the bad thing is that 1oz tube lasts a little over a day. I use the Gold Bond Foot Cream many times a day which helps a bit. As for the body lotion, I've recently tried their body lotion which also helps with the itching and I haven't found it to burn as badly as some other products. I also use the Aveno lotion and they make an eczema formula which I haven't tried yet but I imagine it would also be helpful. Additionally, I use the Cetaphil hand lotion and their new body lotion. I don't know if Gold Bond is fragrance free, since it does help I haven't paid as much attention to that. The Aveno and Cetaphil lotions are fragrance free.

I hope this helps.

** Originally posted by julesverne **

Hi Finsfan! I too was having the cracking of the skin. Ouch! I have so many creams in my medicine cabinet its laughable. I pulled one out that I had forgotten about and it cleared my cracked and red skin. It's called Psoremac. I ordered it from a posting here... letstalkhealth.com. I think it was $10 for a 1 ounce container. It's small but effective and I only put it on the psoriasis...not an all over moisturizer. Hope you've had some luck but if not this might be worth a try.

Jules

** Originally posted by Joann71 **

just a note about cetaphil and some of the aveeno products - they have tree nut oils in them. This is not a problem for me but my littel cousin is extremele allergic to nuts and had a reaction from the cetaphil (they usually check labels but her doctor told them to use it). I still like both cetaphil and aveeno products and for those of us with just P it isn't a problem. Just wanted to give a warning to those who may have nut allergies to check the ingredients in their lotion.

** Originally posted by Heatheranne1027 **

just a note about cetaphil and some of the aveeno products - they have tree nut oils in them. This is not a problem for me but my littel cousin is extremele allergic to nuts and had a reaction from the cetaphil (they usually check labels but her doctor told them to use it). I still like both cetaphil and aveeno products and for those of us with just P it isn't a problem. Just wanted to give a warning to those who may have nut allergies to check the ingredients in their lotion.

Joann, thank you so much for the warning. I never ever thought of nut allergies being affected by lotions. Though I am not allergic to nuts my godson is severly allergic so I will have to mention it to his mother as he is having some skin issues (not sure if it's P). Thanks for the information.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders