Drinking glycerine?

Hello - is there a special kind of glycerine that should be used for drinking, or should I just use the same kind that is applied topically? It is for my 7 year old daughter who has inverse psoriasis...we have been applying topically with some success, but I am wondering if ingesting it might be more effective for her. Brian - are you out there? If so, can you share any insights? Dosage? etc? Thank you so much.

20 replies. Join the discussion

Glyerine is cheap now so of course you can sweeten anything with it . I guess it can't hurt and is less burdensome than applying it.

You need "Vegetable" grade if you are going to drink it, but drinking it helps with PsA and not Psoriasis.

Are you serious?
Feeding glycerin to a 7 year old without consulting her physician.
Say it ain't so!

yes you need vegetable glycerin , at least 99.5% pure and you don't need any permission for it.

I agree, please check with your physician this is your little one you are talking about. These posts that you are reading are just frankly idea's. Take your child to a doctor, please.

Some facts about Glycerin:
1. Glycerin USP is labeled GRAS by the FDA. (generally regarded as safe)
2. USP stands for United States Pharmacopoeial (meaning pharmacy grade)
3. When I'm having joint soreness (possibly PSA) I add a spoonful of glycerin to a glass of water and drink it down. Never had any problems doing this.
4. I recommended to my grandmother when she was complaining about arthritis. Next day she said all her symptoms were gone

Here is a presentation on Glycerin from the University of Idaho. If you are worried, by all means, get veggie grade glycerin. But I use glycerin USP found at wal-mart and it works just fine. If your going to give it to a child, by all means talk to a pediatrician but they will either not know the answer or tell you to only use a very small amount.

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/bioenergy/Feild2fuel_cda06/Tim_Glycerin%20biodi esel%20course%20061506_2.pdf

Dumb quesion, but where do I find glycerin? What brands should I look for?

Nice link thanks. My husband was asking about it and I did not have these answers. I have been drinking it for a couple of weeks now. When I forget to drink it my pain is a lot worse. I am using the Now brand that is supposed to be vegetable based. Not advertizing for them it is what I can get here.

Yea, I wanted to note that drinking Glycerin probably wont do anything for inverse P. Aloe Vera Gel works wonders for inverse p and plaque P. Since I've been I using Aloe Vera Gel every day, I now have 100% control of my psoriasis symptoms and the only places i currently have it besides my scalp just look like pinkish red skin. (red spots the size of quarters on my elbows and random spots briefly come and go on my face) The biggest benefit for me is no more itching and flaking. Another side effect is that my complexion makes me look about 10 years younger. By the way, I'm still smoking 3/4th pack a day along with drinking alcohol occasionally, drink tons of milk and I eat whole grain cereals (gluten) every day. And still eating three McDoubles (with no ketchup and mustard and only water to drink) for lunch every day. I'm not saying you all should eat like i do, but I'm really happy that I've found the diet that works for me (because its affordable) and my natural solution to control my P.

I have heard walmart is less expensive but not where we live. I get 16 OZ at the health food store for eight dollars and change. You can order it online by the gallon and I am considering doing that.

I am assuming you are putting the aloe vera gel on your psoriasis and not drinking it?

LOL THREE McDoubles WOW Iron Man Youth is wonderful..........................

LOL yeah a few years ago I switched to eating those for lunch every day. (plus a fruit and yogurt parfait) Mostly because I can get my entire RDA of protein for three dollars. Two and a half of the burgers will max out your RDA for sodium by the way but I drink tons of water and exercise so I don't feel like I'm getting too much salt. I used to be 240 pounds in high school, now I'm right around 170, which is pretty good for 6'3'' It's amazing what a high protein and plant-based diet can do.

Thanks for all the replies - for the record, I have taken my daughter to both our family doctor and our dermatologist. Applying glycerin to her psoriasis spots has helped far more than any prescription pharmaceuticals, and both our docs are aware of this treatment. I was just curious about drinking it, as I have read some about it. Thanks again -

I love hearing about miraculous overnight cures.
If it sounds too good to be true...you know the rest.

BTW mvan, what dosage did your daughter's doctor recommend for her oral dosing of glycerin?

Did you know that it can be purchased in the pharmacy and also that there is virtually no difference between glycerin that was derived from either vegetable or animal sources.
Glycerin is merely a biodiesel bi-product, and the original source is of little consequence regarding the end product.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html

Glycerin is amazing stuff, and can be found everywhere.

makes absolutely no sense to drink it
that is like drinking peroxide when your finger gets infected!'it has NO nutritional value
Just because a product is good for your skin, translating that to drinking is absurd!

Glycerin has nutritional value at about 5 calories per gram and it is a form of a carbohydrate and alcohol . It is a part of the food in the form of triglyceride as it is attached to fatty acids and that's how it moves in the blood. It is an essential part of phosholipids which are barriers of every cell membrane in the body so it goes back to the origins of life. When it is released by the fat cell , it gets cleaved from fatty acids and can be converted to blood glucose

yes Vlasex
that is what all americans need.............................more sugar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U R joking correct ??????????????????????

Vladex is correct. Julia, I think you need to do a bit more research on glycerin and check your posts for unnecessary sarcasm, however this is only my humble opinion. :o) The fact is: Glycerin is not sugar.

This thread is a perfect example. The threads and 'ideas' on these boards need to be moderated for content. The idea of giving a 7 year old glycerin without medical advice appeals me.

vladex
it can be used as a sweetener but wolod you drink a cup of splenda or sweet & low ???????
maybe it does not cause harm but it has no nutritional value !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glycerin (a natural-occurring sweetener derived from sugar), water, poloxamer

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders