Does Psoriasis Have Scent?

I swear I smell like a musty type scent when I'm flaring...it's like stomach sicking. Is that even normal?

28 replies. Join the discussion

no scent on my daughter but there may be rare exceptions not sure

i noticed that when my psoriasis was extremely bad and flaring all the time, it had a stench, but it was only after i had used something strong or had been out in the sun for a long time

I have PPP on my feet and they definitely have a smell.

My dog Hunter always wants to lick the psoriasis patches on my knees and elbows, so I believe he smells something.

I haven't had what I would consider a flare in eleven years. Most of the time I was treating it in one form or another. It's gradually gotten worse except for the scalp. That's probably because the itching & flaking were driving me crazy, so I've worked harder to control it there than other places.

Bob

smooth
Our sense of smell is diminished as we age.
I used to be so aware of various scents and pefume on people ..no more.

My neighbor's kids notice odors I have no awareness of.

Hawkeye, My dog does the same thing. Sometimes I don't even notice she is doing it at first because she is always trying to lick. I have always wondered why? Maybe that is it!

I have been getting rough sore spots just inside my nostrils (where the kleenex would contact when blowing your nose) for years, off and on. Dr. claims that psoriasis doesn't occur there, but I beg to differ after all this time. Also, in the last year or so, I have been getting a pustular form inside where your nostrils flare. Gets nasty inflamed and infected. I don't know if that is psoriasis or not, but I don't detect a smell from that.

Anyway, long story short, the first area would smell musty which I noticed way back. I guess that is the only place I would notice a smell because of its location, and my skin psoriasis is not bad, except has been on my scalp and inside ears. I'm not likely to smell it there, unless it were very bad smell.

This is the first time I've heard anyone else mention a smell, and just confirms a little more, my theory that the first area inside my nose is psoriasis.

I believe I have a yeast infection in the inverse spots, under arms, under breasts and under belly. The smell is horrible. My daughter can smell if from 5 feet away. Also, when my skin is really flared and dry I notice a smell that is sort of like a burning smell (which makes sense because my skins feels like it is on fire).

yes there i, i end up throwing away clothes i cnt get the smell out ppl think its in my head but its there like old skin kinda smell, in when i have inverse p its like old lady kinda smell, so when my boss said the other dya she smelled me that i have a smell smell i was mortified....but it turned out she smelled the africas best oil n caramex healing lotion i smother myself in after my shower, but i so know what ur talking bout

chinx 78
Yes that is it exactly. The smells are like an insult to injury. AGH I hate this.

I have had the psoriasis in my ear get a foul odor to it. I'm not sure if it was a combination of my ears draining from allergies and the P or what but they itched SOOOOO bad my dr ended up giving me an anti-fungal cream to put in them. They were sore to the touch but it was not like an ear infection pain. It was a very odd experience in the least, my ears were definatly leaking! (or something LOL)

Toxins get released through our skin which is what the our body does with inflammation and psoriasis. If we don't filter our foods properly our body will filter it for us through the skin.

Hello All,
Funny that this subject comes up. I have had psoriasis on my scalp since my early childhood. Anyhow in the past few months it has been very bad and just this morning my husband made the comment to me about an odor he believed I had. He also suggested that he thinks is coming from my scalp and that it smells like something dead. (What??) I couldn't believe it. I actually thought how could it be. But after reading the entries on this site then I guess I am leaning towards the idea that psoriasis does have an order. Great something else to worry about.

@mafish, yes you can get a yeast infection there. I have had it several times. Always feel so nasty and embarrased but I had to realize that it was just a part of this insufferable disease. If you sweat more than others it causes the bacteria to grow fast. I sweat alot in my sleep so I have to be careful. Sometimes I sear I smell something.

@djpsoriasis..you aren't suggesting that toxins cause our psoriasis are you? I hope not.

I've never noticed a smell, personally. Seems there certainly could be with pustular type.

My dog starts licking her lips as soon as I start on the Glycerin routine! She loves it so much, I started putting it on her dry nose and it is reconditioning the skin for her. She is so happy licking while I am moisturizing.... I think that's why they lick your knees, they love that sweet taste

I agree that you can get p in your nostrils. I have it. For now glycerin/witchhazel on a q-tip helps. Dont care what the "doctor" says. I haven't found a doctor/derm yet that truly understands p.

jimnancy
The nostril area seems like a bad place to get P, seems it would be hard to avoid infection there. I am surprised the doctor said it wasn't P. What did he/she think it was?

Julia, I believe you are right about sense of smell diminishing with age. I am an exception though, I have become more and more sensitive to smells. Wierd.

i HAVE SEVERE P AND ASKED MY FIANCE THE QUESTION POSED HERE. sHE SAID ABSOLUTY NOT. TRUST ME SHE WOULD SAY SO.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders