Does Psoriasis Affect "ALL" parts of the body ??

** Originally posted by bbffrrpp **

Hello. When I first got diagnosed about 10-11 years ago, I started bumping into people who recognized my "skin problems" and said that they had it, also. One "shop owner" in town .. told me that Psoriasis can go "anywhere" in the body ! Even places "where the sun don't shine" !!

I'm just curious how many people have the Psoriasis in - not the normal spots in the body !

And, something I haven't mentioned in my other postings is that I have a type of "dry eye syndrome." And, I often wonder if that is Psoriasis related.

And, I did mention in one message that I've develped an "allergy" to all make-up, including lipstick, and cannot wear sunscreen, etc. I get "pimples" on my face if I use them.

And, since I am both a common-sense person and a curious person, I have also wondered whether Psoriasis affects us "inside our body" - meaning our internal organs ! Or, is it "strictly" a SKIN problem?

Betty

(near Lowell, MA)

P.S. Also curious whether people in "New England" suffer more than people in other parts of the USA. Is Psoriasis a different problem - depending on the weather conditions where you live?

P.S.2 Last week my Dermatologist was concerned that my skin was SO DRY ! And, as my regular doctor said last year, "You need to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize !!!!" But, most moisturizers I've tried are either too oily or greasy, or they cause pimples on my face !

But, last week "Cetaphil moisturizer" was recommended to me, and it only takes a few minutes to absorb and does not leave my skin greasy.

(Also, she said that anyone who will be standing or sitting or walking in the SUN for over an hour should use either Neutrogena Sensitive Skin .. or Neutrogena Ultrasheer.)

P.S.3 That just reminded me of something. As a teen, I got a very bad, all-over SUNBURN twice (both times caused me to faint). Ever since then (40+ yrs.) I have not been able to stand in the SUN for even close to an hour.

The question which arises is: Would 2 very bad sunburns .. have been a "skin injury" which might have .. brought me to my Psoriasis today ?

(One sunburn was because I was on an ocean beach too long (very fair skinned), the other was because I fell asleep on the beach of a lake in Maine for 3-4 hours.)

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Yes, you can get "IT" all over,,,inside too,,,so I have read. Somewhere in this maze there is some info about the inside part!

** Originally posted by MikeK **

One "shop owner" in town .. told me that Psoriasis can go "anywhere" in the body ! Even places "where the sun don't shine" !!

I'm just curious how many people have the Psoriasis in - not the normal spots in the body !

Yes, you can get psoriasis anywhere on your body.

Here's a link to some previous discussions:

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17866&highlight=Belleville;

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=248365&highlight=mouths#pos t248365. (This post will link you to several very old posts.)

All of the people that discussed their problems with psoriasis in places like the mouth, etc. have apparently moved on, because we haven't heard from them in years.

I hope this helps.

Mike

** Originally posted by JKNY **

You can get it anywhere. I believe it's extremely rare to have it inside .

If you have P then you MUST moisturize constantly. No doubt about that.

** Originally posted by jorel-1 **

I am one who feels that when those spots appear on the surface of the skin, it's a visible indication that the entire body has gone into, or has been in a "state of psoriasis." A person may have actually had psoriasis for sometime prior to seeing those spots on the skin.

Psoriasis is ALWAYS throughout the entire body, head-bone to toe-bone, regardless of the fact that it may only show itself as a big spot of plaque on your chest. This is the way I think of ALL illness and disease, no matter what a person has, even if a person only has a cold. The illness is completely throughout the entire body.

It's decieving because you commonly only see psoriasis on the surface of the skin, but if you were able to look inside yourself, you might be surprised to see just how much inflammation is really going on.

Then, you also have to consider that many people get it in their joints or terrible foot pain, back pain, neck pain, etc. More proof that there is inflammation going on inside the body. Probably due to inflammation of the cartilage between the joints.

Even the brain can be affected. Reports from people reagarding sleep trouble
or a change in mental state or mood, like depression or melancholia.

I've also heard people claim that they sweat more (I did).

Pitted fingernals, excessively dry hair, trouble with bowel movements, stomach pain, heck, even excessive ear wax, and probably a great deal other indications that I am forgetting at this time that all point to the fact that psoriasis is as much inside the body as it is on the surface of the skin.

So, even though psoriasis can manifest in certain areas, some of them visible to your eye (skin) or detectable due to sensation (joints), it's really EVERYWHERE.

** Originally posted by Stillworking **

One lady I recently met has P in her lungs. It showed up on an xray and through broncial washings, the dx was made. Makes me wonder what is going on inside that we can't see. There was also a post about P in the kidneys.

** Originally posted by JayHod **

In the lungs? what! Crazy! I certainly had it where the sun don't shine. It took a while for it to migrate there but it eventually did. Not anymore though thank goodness!

** Originally posted by PJLeary **

It is possible to have cerivical psoriasis in women. I know of several women who had abnormal pap smears, and the ensueing biopsy resulted in a dx of cervial psoriasis.

** Originally posted by starstriker **

well this worries me for sure. How do you detect and manage this? This is scary news to me. Pssh...worries me alot. The more I read on this it actually depresses me more than I already am to begin with my life and P doesn't make my life better.

** Originally posted by rosee_posey **

well this worries me for sure. How do you detect and manage this? This is scary news to me. Pssh...worries me alot. The more I read on this it actually depresses me more than I already am to begin with my life and P doesn't make my life better.

Easy StarStriker,

There's no reason to let P get you down - believe me, I know it can.

First, to answer Betty's question - Yes, P can go lots of different places. In addition to Psoriatic Arthritis, there's also something called "Crohn's Disease" - literally, a psoriasis like condition on the inside of your intestines (ewwww). It's one of those diseases that you'd KNOW if you had it.

As for parts of the country where psoriasis is - sorry. It's everywhere on the planet. I grew up in Hawaii, and my dad has it, my sister has it, and I have it.

I use Vanicream as my primary moisturizer. It's used for compounding topical ointments and things, your local friendly pharmacist should have some behind the counter (but a prescription is not required).

OK StarStriker - now back to you.

Don't go looking for P - believe me, it will find you juuuust fine :D

In my experience, I hid behind my P, used my P as an excuse to not face my insecurities and fears. My fatal flaw is that I lack humility - I constantly forget how much suffering there is in the world. "Yah, but...." is one of my favorite sentences.

Not to demean the emotional toll of P - it's heavy. Suicidal ideations were par for me when I was in the throes of my disease "at least with cancer, I get to DIE if the meds don't work!!!" I relieve that stress by 1) asking for help, and 2) channeling my energy into hanging with people who have the same problem I do. Service to others helps get me out of my funk, and puts my disease to good use "for something."

You are not alone in this thing. Come join the fight with us!

Hope this helps,
- rose

** Originally posted by Photochick66 **

Hey,

Not to demean the emotional toll of P - it's heavy. Suicidal ideations were par for me when I was in the throes of my disease "at least with cancer, I get to DIE if the meds don't work!!!" I relieve that stress by 1) asking for help, and 2) channeling my energy into hanging with people who have the same problem I do. Service to others helps get me out of my funk, and puts my disease to good use "for something."

Rose, glad you didn't die..you mean the world to me. :) I have heard you say this quote many times ("at least wtih cancer, I get to DIE if meds don't work!!!") you are so right about hanging in there. I can't even imagine you sick anymore...you are so upbeat && happy. So are many of the people her with the foundation. love ya Rosey!

bbffrrpp- I have it as you say "where the sun don't shine", it sucks..i use protopic and it helps.

x0x
Dee

** Originally posted by PJLeary **

Hi,

Yes, psoriasis can be pretty upsetting. But, Rosie has an excellent point in that service to others helps to take our minds off of what ails us.

By understanding as much as we can, and reaching out to support others we actually end up helping ourselves as well. Talk about double dipping! ( Thank goodness we don't have to pay taxes on that, yet! )

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders