Does anyone take any vitamins for psoriasis specifically???

** Originally posted by tryingforababy **

<<<<<<<<<<TGIF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am on enbrel...and used to do more of the homeopathic method but stopped when started on enbrel. I am going to try & get prego and wanted to see if there is any vitamins I should take before I get off the enbrel so that when I do its not so BAD!! I am taking my prenatals as advised but was curious if maybe i should take some extra biotin or vit e. Any suggestions??
Shannon

28 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by mcordy77 **

Shannon,

Plenty of folks (including myself) have had great results with "Barney's Formula" which is a supplement and vitamin based formula.
You can find the (very long) thread here http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22725

Best of luck to you!

Mark

** Originally posted by frommyvalentino **

You can continue to go on Enbrel during the first (and I believe the second) trimester of pregancy...but yes, the Barney's Formula works wonders. I did the cheap version while my insurance was on the fritz, and my P only came back a little bit (it probably would have stayed at bay if I got all the meds, but I couldn't afford that on a college student budget.

Good luck!!

** Originally posted by PsoriasisGirl **

Good Lord that's a lot of vitamins. Can't someone just package it in a box and sell it to me :)

Do you take ALL of those vitamins at the same time? I might be chugging breakfast....

Please don't take Ibuprofin while you're pregnant!!!!

Talk to your doctor before getting on these vitamins. He'll probably LOVE for you to be on Folic acid and Calcium, but Ibuprofin is a big no-no while pregnant (or at least it was 3 years ago when I was preggie). It was tylenol will the day the baby popped out.

** Originally posted by Resist **

I've tried different vitimans, I have even been taking fish oil for several years. I have noticed no difference in my Psoriasis.

One last question then I'll shut up so someone else can post.

Can you take these vitamins while on Cyclo? Does Cyclo mess it up? (I'm asking FIRST BEFORE i try it instead of afterwards....since I totally messed up with that whole grapefruit incident)

** Originally posted by graystar **

Mine told me to take folic acid when I took mtx.
I was also told to take extra vitamin c now that I'm on humira.
As well as a multi.
I also take fish oil.

Folic acid is important for being pregnant.
Do ask the doctor.

** Originally posted by Ironchef **

Yep, Check with your DOC! If you take prenatal vitamins for the pregnancy, that should cover basic vitamins that would entreat your skin.

But if you started taking some anti-inflammatory vitamins/drugs while pregnant, you'll do bad. So ask your doctor.

** Originally posted by Resist **

I've tried different vitimans

Where the heck did I learn how to spell? :)

** Originally posted by grannyfranny **

Where the heck did I learn how to spell? :)

Public schools,,,maybe????? :D :p ;)

** Originally posted by bjmacc **

hi srpoteat..You should contact your doctor when adding anything to a prescribed treatment..and doubly so as trying for a baby has mentioned..

specifically, cyclosporin and ibuprofen don't mix..

http://stason.org/TULARC/health/body/organ-transplant/37-Drug-interactions. html

hope this helps..bj

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi blessings4u,
sorry i can't help much but welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good weekend all

richard

** Originally posted by KellyPSA **

I am studying to be a dietitian is that women who are trying to conceive should be at their best from a nutritional stand point. Folic Acid is very important in order to prevent neural tube defects, like spina bifida....

But I am pretty sure that the NSAIDS for Barney's Formula are contrainicated in Pregnancy. I would be very careful with homeopathic remedies at all when pregnancy is involved.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

One thing I think is very important and you might want to ask your doctor about is OMEGA 3'S

WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT THEM WHEN MY KIDS WERE SMALL!

Omega 3 During Pregnancy
In the past decade or so, the importance of Omega 3 during pregnancy has been acknowledged. It is now known that Omega 3 actually plays a large role in the development and growth of your baby when it is in your uterus. Omega 3 helps to:

build the brain
form the retinas
develop the nervous system

Omega 3 is also necessary for your own pregnancy health and wellbeing. Omega 3 helps to:

reduce your chances of developing preeclampsia
reduce your risk for postpartum depression
minimize the chance of preterm labor.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/omega3.html

** Originally posted by rustylime **

Hi everyone this is my first entry...and after 25 years of fighting this disease I have tried everything and used every cream and lotion, I can get enbrel but cannot afford the copay...I cannot get assistance because I make to much money,...they probably feel I don't need food....a few months back I started using Melaluca products and have had a great reaction to my body I am using the soaps, lotions, vitamins, cleaning products, clothes soap all of it...my body is in check as far as I am not open with sores, I am flaky...but no sores, hopefully with continued use I will see a greater response...The vitamins cover everything including your folic acid which if you are using enbrel you must have, there is even a sleep aid which works real well and a nature mood factor...beats the heck out of prozac.....please someone speak out to me..let me know what I am missing....
Sharon

rustylime@yahoo.com

** Originally posted by Dulane **

Hi RustyLime...

Check this out -
http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=300829#post300829

:)

Hey...a rusty lime flavor is sorta unusual! What yould you add that to?

** Originally posted by rustylime **

really has helped me thanks for the input...I changed my house over to melaluca and It is helping....I have done so many drugs (for Psoriasis) and I am a life timer on methotrexate...It helps when it wants but after 25 years my derm is skeptical about me going off...I just am not prepared for another liver biopsy and I know it is coming I am 60 percent covered and just living one day at time, but I ma looking for natural alternatives always...I do not have food allergies and I like to eat. I need to loose about 50 pounds and then see if the total diet change was effective...so I am looking for a good diet (psoriasis friendly) anybody have any suggesttions???

How do you know you don't have food allergies???? were you tested??? a blood test for not so much allergies as triggers! which can happen when the immune system is out of whack!

My doctor suggested I have it done and at the time I thought to myself....no way I don't have any allergies to food! well I had 12 foods that came back as triggers....

you never know!! :p

** Originally posted by mae2mac **

I was told no, if there is a test what is the name of it and would it be covered by insurance. I have an appointment the end of Sept. with my primary care doctor. She wants to see me before I have the liver biopsy done. :rolleyes:

maybe GP's don't know about the test?

anyway I never heard of it either til my doc mentioned it....this is the one I took

http://foodallergy.com/

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders