does alcohol really make p worse?

** Originally posted by john3081 **

i think my new years resolution will to be not to drink anything for a whole month and see. i've had psoriasis long before i ever drank, but its much worse now than those days.
creams dont do much anymore, and i dont want to spend 600 dollars a month on crappy drugs and blood tests that make me feel sick all the time.
so im looking for any kind of thing to help.

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by elliott **

I get crusty when I drink. Alcohol is opposite of oils and creams we all use to try to loosen scale and lubricate the skin. I'm OK if if drink only in moderation but if i drink three nights in a row it shows.

** Originally posted by lazza **

i think my new years resolution will to be not to drink anything for a whole month and see. i've had psoriasis long before i ever drank, but its much worse now than those days.
creams dont do much anymore, and i dont want to spend 600 dollars a month on crappy drugs and blood tests that make me feel sick all the time.
so im looking for any kind of thing to help.

Since I don't drink I cannot tell you precisely how alcohol affects P, but I cannot imagine it doing anything good for you.

A resolution to quit drinking is great. But if you want to stop spending 600 dollars a month on crappy drugs (,etc) you will need to do more than quit drinking for a month. Check out other posts on various diets and supplements. My psoriasis is fading away by adhering to a restrictive diet (no gluten, dairy, fried foods, sweets,..). I've been on it for close to 3 months.

So unless you really want to overhaul your diet and lifestyle I'm afraid you will probably continue to spend 600 dollars a month on medications. It takes serious commitment and patience.

Good luck to you.

_Lazza

** Originally posted by nina2002nina **

Alcohol is very inflammatory.

If I didn't clear my P I don't know if I would be able to tell exactly how much alcohol effected my P. Since I dieted and cleared my P I can definitely say it does. I usually get itchy and red quickly after having some drinks. I am sure it is inflammatory and will increase P in every way if consumed on a regular basis. Now that I am clear I allow myself to drink alcohol on special occasions. Last week was the first time in a year and a half that I had some drinks and didn't notice immediate itching.

** Originally posted by jumpingbean **

Alcohol is a clear-cut trigger for me. If I have so much as one glass of wine, my P is worse by the next day. Fortunately, it's not that hard for me to go without it because the memory of how miserable it makes me is enough of a detterent.

** Originally posted by kathryn1989 **

i think alcohol is a major trigger for me, at times its brought out new spots :( i havnt drunk for nearly 6 months!although im going to have a lil drink at christmas and see what happens.

** Originally posted by MadCat **

i think my new years resolution will to be not to drink anything for a whole month and see.

Well alcohol always made my P worse.

The morning after the night before, I would get crusty red sore flare ups that were itchy.

But now I have cleared, I have been able to drink with no flare-ups.

It takes around 9 – 12 months to completely remove alcohol from the cells in your body.

So whilst one month is a great start (especially after the silly season) you may not see any improvement for some time, especially if you standard diet is bad.

MC

** Originally posted by missiongirl69 **

I alcohol kills me every time & I pay for it for at least 2 weeks. If i drink I drink things like vodka cranberry juice (small amount) & club soda or beer..less sugar as sugar aggravates my p for sure.I hardly drink at all anymore cause I'd prefer to drink coffee which also triggers my p I find but if I have to choose..I choose that.

** Originally posted by Naturally **

Alcohol is also a major trigger for me - both for P and PA. I was doing so good last year that when it came time for the holidays I thought I could have a few drinks because it had been so long and my P and PA seemed like it was gone. BUT - the day after New Year's (and a few drinks over the week before) my skin and PA flared like it never had before and I blame it all on the alcohol.

It's such a dehydrating substance and it challenges our kidneys and livers. Not so good for people with P and PA.

These days, I can have a glass of wine on a special occasion every other month or so without consequence, but I have to stop there... And, like Mad Cat and others on this site, I've spent a long time on a very clean diet over the past few years, so I think my body can handle it better than it used to.

I highly encourage you to leave off the alcohol. And, Lazza is right, its a good idea to clean up your whole diet...

** Originally posted by incubi **

Alcohol hasn't effected my psoriasis at all, again results vary because everyones body reacts differently.

** Originally posted by stewartintheUK **

The answer sadly is usually yes.

hough i do know some people who can tolerate some alchohols and not others. My friend Jenny for example can drink a couple of red wine everyday and get no reaciton but cant touch beer, whiskey etc. Others can handle a few beers without reacting but react badly to wine. The signs are obvious if u r affected so there is room to test a little. One thing is preety much for sure though, a lot of alcohol will always dehdrate your bodyand therefore your skin. Always drink 2 litres of water a day if drinking.

** Originally posted by MadCat **

The sulphur 220 preservative in alcohol is very bad for a lot of health conditions.

It gives me the worst hangovers imaginable and I know that asthmatics should avoid it.

I now drink preservative-free (organic) wine or low preservative wine. If I can’t source them, then I drink expensive wine.

When I use to drink and have P, I would buy cheap wine etc. I have since discovered that the cheaper wines (say anything under $20), tend to have a lot of preservative in them.

Now because of my healthy diet, if I have a glass of cheap wine, I will have a chronic migraine within 10 minutes.

But I can drink the more expensive wines with absolutely no problem.

Same goes for other drinks. Cheaper beers, gins, whiskeys etc….give me terrible migraines. But I can drink the boutique / handcrafted / more expensive / ones with no problems.

So my question is:

Is it the alcohol that is bad for P, OR is it the actual preservative that is bad for P.

MC

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders