DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get a Cortisone or Steroid Injection!

Just a warning....

I'm new here. You may already know this, but I'm going to announce it for those of you who don't. Well, I thought I knew everything about psoriases after having it for 33 years, but I didn't know this. I learned the hard way.

I have a ganglion cyst in my wrist. I got a steroid shot in it because it gets very painful. Well, little did I know that within a day it would cause one of the worst flare ups of psoriases I've ever had!

Just wanted to let you ALL know this to save you from the trouble I went through! Do not get a steroid injected unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Nikki

34 replies. Join the discussion

Thanks for sharing. If you still have the ganglion cyst on your wrist I have something your doc may want to try. I had one over ten years ago and my doc came up with something new. He used suture string, thick, and put it through the middle of the cyst. He put a bandage on so the suture string wouldn't move. Went back in 7-10 days and he pulled the suture. Low and behold no more cyst and it hasn't come back. Before this procedure I would have it go away only to come back. Hope if you can get rid of the cyst then your Psoriasis may get better.

TOTALLY AGREE.

My previous derm gave me a shot to 'fast track' my Psoriasis into healing. What I got was a few days of clear skin followed by a huge breakout of P and a rash! I was furious that I agreed to the shot without doing any research.

Hi Niki One of the most important things which we all learn eventually, is that different treatments and different meds. work differently for different people. Now if that sounds like I over-worked the word different......yep, I did, because it is the one word which defines us all.

Steroid shots can be a very successful treatment for some people, in different circumstances. Likely if you were to return to your doctor and tell him of that experience, he would tell you that there is no way the shot caused the flare...........in all probability it was fueled by something other than the shot. However.........I am sure you don't want to repeat the procedure for the sake of proving a point! :)

The pill form can trigger a huge flare too!! (prednisone)

I had the same problem with prednisone. My primary care doctor gave me two packs back to back and my P got the worst it ever had. I had been treated by the VA, because I don't have health insurance. When I started seeing a derm doctor, he told me to never use steroids again. He told me the steroids would either work good, or cause the worst breakout possible.

Yes that's 'TRUE' that Cortisone or Steroid provides temp. Solution and make you addict of the same if you stop applying it P flares like anything and spreads in double triple speed. I used Cortisone based lotions and creams and some tablets also I am very much sure that is the main reason why P spread all over the body. Before it was limited to the scalp and leg.

Now, I am taking 'Ganoderma' mushroom. It is giving me very very good results.

its 50/50 and its used every day and it works

Sure am glad to read this info. The doc gave me a script for steroids (a pack, I think) when I was first diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. I was reluctant and, although I filled the script, I have not used it. I dislike steroids for the most part.

I succumbed to a steroid injection in a worn out joint and really regretted it. It hurt more than I can describe and only made my wrist and hand feel worse for a couple days and then no improvement in joint. It was one of those situations where I buckled in the doc's office rather than giving it some time and thought. I regret it. And now that I read your comments, maybe it is partly to blame for my worse skin psoriasis in the following weeks.

The painful, burning ganglia on my wrist is secondary to the basilar, thumb joint being worn out. The stress on all the tendons makes it come and the thing that has helped in the brace the OT made for me. I am awaiting surgery.

Had no plans to get a cortisone or steroid injection and even less likely to now after reading this. Diet is working for me and it would seriously annoy me to take steps backwards at this stage. So thanks for the heads up.

I have had to get both steroid shots and oral steroids to control my psoriatic arthritis. just because one person had a bad experience doesn't make it bad for everyone.

You already covered all grounds . I do want to share this story of a friend of mine . This is some 20 years ago. Her doctor injected cortisone to every p area or spot on her body one by one . Lo and behold she was clear of p , foreever till today. She had a lot.

oh boy.. i think i have one of those cysts on the palm side of my left wrist. I don't want to find out if i'll break out with P even worse if i get an injection. Maybe i'll have someone smack my wrist with a heavy Bible or encyclopedia or something instead?

I've had steroid injections for a back problem and my psoriasis has cleared really well. I'm also on humira and Methotrexate tabs and oral cortisone tabs as well. They seem to be working for my P and Psa

Well boys and girls I take two steroid pills a day and my P is getting so much better. Not to mention my menopausal ache is better also. Heed wise ole mandymuffs advice she knows what she's saying, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!!!!!

Oops sorry I called you ole Mandy.

"Heed wise ole mandymuffs advice she knows what she's saying, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!!!!!"

Right on, Thats! And I get to use the "ole" because I'm 72. : )

Thatsall.......I will get you for that girl !!...ole Mandymuff.........what a nerve!!! LOL......"if it looks old and walks old, then it must be old"! No arguments from me girl!

Ellen......now you are REALLY OLD.......(just give me 2 more weeks and I will have caught up with you!!) Don't know about you, but in my mind I am still about 40!! Carry on chicks!

I've got one on my ankle, but never had a steroid or cortisone injection.... I blamed mine on Enbrel injections for 10 years.

Have u been on any biologics ?

Before I got P on my hands & feet, I got a cortisone shot in both of my palms due to a trigger finger on both of my hands. I had bilateral endoscopic carpul tunnel surgery on both of my hands in Dec 2005. Then in Dec 2009, I had one shot in each palm and went back 6 months later for one more in each palm. I haven't been back in 2-1/2 yrs. I'm only allowed 1 more shot in each palm and then I'll have to talk to my orthopedist about surgery.

IF the trigger fingers would happen to come back, I would see my orthopedist and ask him for his opinion about what I should do since I've got P on my hands. He's such a GREAT guy whose opinion I trust. I'm also taking MTX pills and I may have to get off of it for the week of the shot. I'm not afraid to get another cortisone shot IF needed. The one thing I MUST watch for is my blood sugar level 'cause it raises it each time I've had the shots.

To each their own on whether or not a person should get a cortisone shot. I agree, we all are different. Different shots/med effect each of us differently. What one may have great experience with something, somebody else have a bad experience. We all know our bodies and we do what we feel is best for us.

Darlene

I get steroid injection (nerve blocks) in my spine,head and my sacroilliac joint for the pain from the PA and for migraines. They work wonderfully for me. About a week after the injection my joints move without pain and my skin clears. My rhum did tell me that skin p can flare after the steroid wares off. Thankfully, my skin only flares a little after the injection.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders