Did you know having psoriasis is almost a magical bullet against leprosy?

** Originally posted by ziggyspaw **

People with psoriasis very nearly have an immunity to leprosy. Weird huh?
Now imagine a stand like scenario : The government creates a super-leprosy, which escapes containment and wrecks havoc and the 2% of us with psoriasis are the only ones left. Talk about turning the world upside down.

13 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MamaMoose **

Well, it's nice to know we've got at least one thing going for us! :)

** Originally posted by ajveasy **

LOL, big Stephen King fan, Zig?

Ayuh, thankee sai. thankye big big.

** Originally posted by wildflowerAnn **

I didn't know that. However I did hear a researcher say we would probably not die from the bird flu. So there's one more good thing!

** Originally posted by MamaMoose **

He he! :) Well now I have two things I don't have to worry about!

** Originally posted by tonka42100 **

Ziggy,that was great. I loved the Dark Tower series. Was so sad to finally finish the last book. Nightmares and dreamscapes starts in ohhh just under 10 min. No comercial interruptions.....WooHoo.

** Originally posted by SCCatman **

I have been reading a book on DNA called The Genome; the Autobiography of a species in 23 chapters. (ISBN 0-06-089408-3).
Mr. Ridely states that there are no “bad” genes, all the genes that have survived, survived for a reason.
Blood type A gives some protection from Cholera.
Blood type B gives some protection from Cholera.
Blood type AB gives almost complete protection from Cholera.
Blood type O is very suseptical to cholera, but gives protection against malaria and cancer, and syphilis.

Cystic fibrosis protects against typhoid
Getting a Sickle Cell gene from one of your two parents protects against malaria, getting the gene from both of your parents gives you the disease.

So the P tribe is protected against leprosy. There are also studies that show we get 5% or 10% fewer colds and flues, but makes us subseptical to stress. I think P gives us a bigger advantage than that, but that is only my guess, and I have no idea what the advantage would be, probably another skin or skin related disease. Maybe even the staph or strep that gives us such a hard time? Tetanus?

Dennis

** Originally posted by sporkster **

aw man! this means i cant tell people i have leprosy now!

PSoriasis is genetic; leprosy is contracted; ergo, you cant contract psoriasis if you have leprosy, you already have it.
On the other hand, if you have psoriasis, you have a smaller chance of contracing leprosy.

It simply cant be the other way around, because you'd have psoriasis for years up until you contracted leprosy..
Does any of that make sense?

aw man! this means i cant tell people i have leprosy now!

Well, you CAN tell them that up until the late 1800's nobody knew the difference between leprosy and psoriasis.. lol

Snippet from article...

Some workers have suggested that genetic factors may play a role in protecting psoriatic patients from leprosy. Population studies have found significant association of HLA-DR 2 and HLA-DQWI with leprosy, whereas in psoriasis there is high frequency of HLA–A1,–BB,–B16,–B17, CW6 and DR7 with reference to the general population. Recently most investigators have focused on the MHC class I region, with particular interest on the HLA–CW 6 allele in psoriatic patients. Now it has been established that T lymphocytes play major role in the pathogenesis of psoriasis with Th-1 type of cytokine profile triggering the chain reaction of cellular and molecular networks that culminate in the formation of a psoriatic plaque. There is increased activity of the reticuloendothelial system in patients with psoriasis in the form of enhanced metabolic, phagocytic and chemotactic functions of the polymorphonuclear leukocytes (7). This is contrary to what is observed in leprosy in which the involvement of the reticuloendothelial system and phagocytic system is characterized by reduced activity of peripheral blood mononuclear leukocytes and macrophages and depressed T-cell functional state (1).

** Originally posted by surmisez **

There are also studies that show we get 5% or 10% fewer colds and flues, but makes us subseptical to stress. I think P gives us a bigger advantage than that, but that is only my guess, and I have no idea what the advantage would be, probably another skin or skin related disease. Maybe even the staph or strep that gives us such a hard time? Tetanus?
Dennis

In addition to P, I also suffer from asthma and severe environmental allergies (i.e. mold and mildew, dust and dust mites, trees and grass, cats and horses, etc).

I must say that all someone with a cold needs to do is look at me and I get it. And it's never just a cold, it always turns into Bronchitis, and if that's not stopped in time, it will turn into Pneumonia.

Although, on the plus side, the strong steroids I am Rx'd for the Bronchitis clears up all my P within a few days, and while I feel like complete poop, my skin looks great.

Quite frankly, if the Bird Flu ever makes it over here, I'll be at my asthma doctor's office with bells on, looking for a shot.

** Originally posted by nrasher **

I thought everyone knew that the P genes confer a host of other benefits upon the bearers. The first three attributes that come to mind are

Brilliance
Beauty
Charm

Please feel free to add to list of wonderful things that P people are known to have as a result of their disease (Don't tell your congressman or he may decide to cut funding for research out of jealousy)

Nick

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders