Dermasmooth

** Originally posted by makeitgoaway **

My Derm just gave me a Rx for Dermasmooth. I can't seem to find any info on it. What exactly is it/is in it?:confused:

Steve:cool:

17 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by beladonna **

Its a greasy peanut oil with a mild steriod in it. You have to apply it to your scalp, and occlude it with the included shower cap.
Works pretty well, if you are consistant.
Its kind of messy and time consuming, but what isnt these days?

;)

** Originally posted by Kimbercat **

It's called fluocinolone acetonide. It's in a mineral oil and peanut oil (watch out for allergies) base, and is GREAT stuff! It's the one and only thing that helps my scalp. It's messy and smelly, but if you sleep with it in your hair overnight with a shower cap on, it really helps get the scales out. I know that there is also a version of it to put on your skin, but it is the same. Good luck with it.

** Originally posted by PJLeary **

Ah, one of my old favorites. It stains, and the stains will not come out. Sort of a brownish purple stain.

Therefore must take care with linens. And clothing, you get the drift.

Otherwize a great med, oily enough to take away the "tight" feeling of severe scalp p.

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Steve,

The bad news is that Derma-SmootheFS is very messy to use. The good news is that it's also very effective in controlling scalp p. It's peanut oil based so it can't be used by people with peanut allergies. Here's a link for some additional info:http://www.hillderm.com/questions/questions.htm. You also might want to ask your derm about Olux foam (here's a link: http://olux.com/WebPages/about.html) or it's milder cousin Luxiq foam (here's a link: http://www.luxiq.com/WebPages/patLuxiq.html). Luxiq and Olux are easier to use then Derma-Smooth/FS and are excellent weapons against scalp p. I can't say enough good things about them. Olux does have one drawback -- it burns like you-know-what when you first use it.

Mike

** Originally posted by Zara **

ditto on the previous responses. I've found it very helpful. I use a shampoo called capex afterwards, which contains the same steroid as dermesmoothe.

One comment though: the company seems to think that the little 4 oz bottle is good for around 3 weeks (you can check the website) and I didnt realize that until I used the bottle up much more quickly than that, and was told I couldn't refill it on my plan. I started being more careful about how I applied it, to not get as much of it just on my hair. (It was a non-formulary item for me and as such cost $30 a bottle.) I used it daily for abt 3 weeks initially.

** Originally posted by debber_1 **

I posted this elsewhere but since its on the subject I will post it here too!! My hairstylist told me to use baby shampoo and it seems to at least keep my p on my scalp at bay...I usually get a good bit in the winter and i didn't this winter!! She said something about the PH....And it make my hair soft and shiny..

Thanks all-

My Derm did not say to occlude it. Just wash with it in the pm and rinse. Shampoo with regular shampoo in the morning.

Mikek-

I have heard you can use dermasmooth for a long time with out being too concerned about side effects. Do you know this to be true? Also, what about olux and luxiq?

** Originally posted by chaimFL **

Dermasmooth is a steriod so it does have it's side effects, but it's not one of the super potents so you can use it longer without the a problem. Your doctor is confusing me, Dermasmooth is not a shampoo, it's a peanut oil based steriod that is very greesy so you can't wash with it perhaps ask him/her to clarify. Olux and Luxiq are foams used to treat the scalp (and other areas). Olux is the stronger of the 2 and both are pretty powerful. It's expensive and the foam melts the second it hits skin so I fould it very hard to apply. It's also expensive. I perfer the solution for my scalp it's easy to apply and not messy, but to each his own. Dermsmooth has a very good reputation give it a shot.

Thanks chaimFL

I guess I said the wrong thing when I said shampoo. He told me to apply it at night but did say to rinse it out and shampoo in the morning with regular shampoo. He did say it was very messy. Is it strange to rinse it out? I haven't picked up the RX yet so I haven't seen the directions that come with it.

:confused:Steve:cool:

Hi Steve,

Here's the instructions for using Derma-Smooth/FS. I copied it from the link in my previous post. Unfortunately, it's pretty much what you're going to have to do.

For the treatment of scalp psoriasis, wet scalp thoroughly with water. Apply a thin film of Derma-Smoothe/FS® (Scalp Oil), massage well and cover scalp with the shower cap contained in the package. Leave on overnight or for a minimum of 4-6 hours before washing off. Wash hair with a non-medicated shampoo and rinse thoroughly.

My derm hasn't expressed any real concerns about Derma-Smooth/FS, but it does have a mild steriod in it. It's also VERY messy to use (and like PJ said -- it stains if you're not careful), so I stop using it as soon as things get under control.

I like Olux and Luxiq. Both of them have very strong steroids in it, so my derm limits their use to two weeks max. Luxiq is milder and unlike Olux can be used by children. My derm always has me use Luxiq first. I like them both. You apply a little to the scales (I agree with Chaim -- it melts quickly!) and massage it in. Olux burns when you first start to use it, but I find both Luxiq and Olux to be easier to use than Derma-Smooth.

You also might want to try shampooing with Neutragena T/Gel (here's a link: http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=148 ) or a shampoo with Tea Tree Oil in it. (I've read here that a lot of people use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo. Here's a link: http://www.paulmitchell.com/site/subpage.asp?section=2,8,26,299 . I was told that Paul Mitchell products are available only at beauty supply stores. I was able to find it at Duane Reade. I thought that it was kind of pricey. I was able to find a cheaper version by reading just about every bottle of shampoo in the store.)

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike

Mikek-

Glad to have you back! Thanks for the info.

** Originally posted by mama **

Debber_1

Just yesterday my hairdresser said not to use baby shampoo if you color your hair because it will strip the color out sooner than you want. In other words, you'll be dying it more often or paying someone else to dye it. She suggested that I use tea tree oil shampoo. It is supposed to be better for the P scalp.

What does shampoo with Tea Tree Oil smell like?

** Originally posted by mama **

Actually Steve, I just finished a bottle and need to get a new one ASAP. I really don't think it has any significant odor. Maybe others will disagree.

Hi Steve,

I haven't used the Paul Mitchell product. The one that I've been using has a smell that reminds me of pine trees. It's very subtle. Some shampoos smell like tar or have a "medicinal" smell. I hardly notice this one.

Mike

** Originally posted by Lill2441 **

My Derm just gave me a Rx for Dermasmooth. I can't seem to find any info on it. What exactly is it/is in it?:confused:

Its the only thing that helped my daughter (14) with her scalp. It is messy but it works. We've tried everything and this helped with her scaling.

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi lill2441,
welcome to the p family. you have met some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

have a good weekend all

richard

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders