Derm won't give me Stelara

Has anybody been denied Stelara due to sudden cardiac deaths some patients have had I guess? My derm said that NO DERM in my city of Tucson would prescribe this now due to these events..anyone else heard this?

31 replies. Join the discussion

I've read about the cardiac events. This isn't good news. Yikes.

Where did you read this, and do you if those patients had any other problems before going on stelera?

I grow tired of people trying to scare other people just because they can. If you want to tell us about something like this then gather your facts first before spouting off about any medication causing deaths. To the OP, I will tell you I have not heard anything about this, and I too would require your Derm to provide you with the information about these supposed deaths and then bring that information back here to share. And it should be a link to a public ariticle and not just a "my derm says..."

Face it, we're dealing with an industry (medical) that doesn't always tell us the truth. They are not working towards a cure becausse there's no money in that. I have witnessed a derm resist prescribing me something that works so that she could prescribe something else that she gets a spiff from. It's all about the money, sorry to say.

I bumped up an older thread that has Dr. Leonardi's speech. He's recommending taking asprin, as a precaution.

If you read some of zipperdeedee's other posts, you'll quickly realize that she's not a fear monger. She's tried biologics; she has PsA and SEVERE psoriasis; and if her dermatologist told her that,,,,I believe what she said.

But dont people who live with Severe Psoriasis have a higher risk of heart problems anyway?

Good point. I'm wondering if in the study before Stelara was approved, the participants were otherwise very healthy. Once it was approved for the general public, quite a few people who struggle with obesity have started using Stelara. I'm sure they'll start studying this right away.

Actually my post was directed more at you iceskater. I believe that the OP was told that by the Derm but my point was that Derms lie. They typically want to prescribe the medications that they get a kick-back from so they tend to make up reasons why to not prescribe other medications. It's a cold hard fact of life. So, iceskater, if you have some hard factual information that you could pass along as to what you read about this and where that would be helpful.

NearDark is correct, people with psoriasis do tend to be more prone to having heart problems. So it might be presumtious to assume that Stelara is causing heart problems unless there was factual data gathered that showed a higher rate of cardiac arrest between people with psoriasis and people with psoriasis taking Stelara.

Well I'm not a fear monger either, and I don't believe dermatologists prescribe treatments based on these supposed kickbacks that they're accused of getting. Talk about spreading disinformation and maligning well meaning physicians whose only concern is to get us healthy. I bumped up JoshM's thread. Read Dr. Leonardi's speech. Not only is Stelara causing concern about cardiovascular death, its causing cancer to appear within 12 weeks of starting the med.

We, the consumers need to know these things. It is scary. When Raptiva started causing peoples brains to turn to mush, the word got out and doctors stopped prescribing it long before the FDA pulled it off the market.

Dr. Leonardi has financial ties to Centocor, and yet he still sounded the alarm. Consider that.

The situation with all biologics is that they are all in the short range of statistics and we don't know what the long term affects will be. At one time I thought to myself, I hate the way I am now, so if I get relief from medication and it helps I rather have a few years of quality life then none at all. But, I have since changed my outlook on this. I fould a wonderful man that loves me as I am and we are now married almost 5 years. If someone sends up a warning flag, I like to research it on the net and see what I find. I am new to this site and I love all the information that is being shared and the support. We must keep positive.

http://www.druglib.com/adverse-reactions_side-effects/stelara/ interesting

Niksdaed: I had the same issue with a derm of mine, all he cared about was making a dollar. He made his own "formula" that I needed to pay out of pocket for and could not get a tax reimbursement for either. I used these, which were pretty much the same as Derma-Smoothe & Clobex spray (which I TOLD HIM hadn't worked for me in the past) for about 6 months, and of course, they DIDN'T WORK, but he refused to change my meds. So I dropped him and found a new derm that was willing to help me.

http://www.druglib.com/adverse-reactions_side-effects/stelara/
interesting

This is more like what I am looking for. I only quickly scanned down through it- 3 people died, reported as 5 seperate incidnece. One is a person with diabeaties, another with a cardiac disorder, and the third is a 99lb, 75 year old female- all in Europe. Hmmmm... not really convincing in my opinion. Anyone got anything else?

Yeah I mean when you look at the ones who died, they all had things that would go against them, Ie age, weight ,other Medications, other ilnesses.

you are right, they arent working for a cure, there is no money in that, they want you on it forever :o), Go to the web site of Stelara and see all the side affects it has, This is from there web site, So the Derm is probably keeping you safe , really , is it worth the Lotto on your life or a much worse condition, I used a product with no side affects and so did my mom, I cant share it on here as I was threatened to be booted,, why would that be :o),, Does this site get paid by Pharms as well. decide for yourself, Stelara in my book is dangerous to try. Can Cause Cancer, LOL, Dont listen to doctors or people who dont care about you , check things out for yourself.. PERIOD

Psoriasis moderate or severe plaque psoriasis Stelara FDA approved drug
Side Affects
Reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome (RPLS)
Serious Allergic Reactions
Cancer
STELARA® can make you more likely to get infections or make an infection that you have worse
Common side effects of STELARA® include: upper respiratory infections, headache, and tiredness.
STELARA® may lower your ability to fight infections and may increase your risk of infections. While taking STELARA®, some people have serious infections, which may require hospitalization, including tuberculosis (TB), and infections caused by bacteria, fungi, or viruses.
• Your doctor should check you for TB before starting STELARA® and watch you closely for signs and symptoms of TB during treatment with STELARA®.

Pasted from <http://www.stelarainfo.com/>

YOu know it is funny as I quickly read what this group ws about, to gain info and learn about cures in short,, I offered one that was outsiede this team aspire interests and sponsership and was immediatly threatened to remove my suggestion and conatact info. I just wanted to share something that really helped me and my mom and because it was not part of this websites realm and control, I was targeted, now how does that inspire people or help them, it isnt, it is about gathering people for there sponsorships cure and treatments to support there funding. The world has gotten so far from what it was created to be, helping others, being a community , caring for those in need and all that good stuff that just is not there , it is just pretend , smoke and mirrors

Stelara and so many other drugs they give people can cause so many other symptoms down the road but it doesnt matter as "Prove it" the Pharms say. FDA who is supposed to protect us actually protects the Pharms by targeting people who actually come up with better ways and natural ways to cure us, Just like the oil companies who prevent better cars and gas mileage.

That is sad what we have become and like so many on here also agree, Pharms arent here to cure and dont care about your health, just your money :o).

Not meant to 'scare anyone' just wanted to KNOW if anyone knew FACTS...which is why I posted...and thanks for the above defending me and posting articles...I am brand new and I hope everyone 'believes the best' about me. I've had p since nine and psa since 2000 and ppp since 2010...I've had Mayo doctors most of my life.

Here's a suggestion for you zipperdeedee, start calling other derms in your area and ask about what medications they have experience with and prescribe for Psoriasis. Don't tell them that your Derm has told you of deaths related to Stelara, just see if they support that possibility. If it's true what your current derm says then they will tell you they don't recommend Stelara. But if Stelara is amoung their routine prescribed drugs then I would say your derm is feeding you a line.

Can I ask you, has moving to AZ helped your condition at all?

Also, Stelara I don't think is used to treat PSA, but I've heard Enbrel has worked pretty will for that.

thanks for asking...AZ helped the PSA tremendously (I'm just in a bad flare right now I feel from personal stress..my theory_)...I rock a convertible and get as much sun as possible...that helps TREMENDOUSLY as well. I've lost over 50lbs moving here from MN. I put on a lot of weight doing MTX and constantly eating hard candy to curb the nausea...sorry for the book. I LOVE the desert..the heat feels SOOOO good on my bones! My pool heater rep was from NY and had been covered in P...he starting going into remission moving here..and he said he has a very stressful job.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders