Dead Sea Salts In Hot Tub?

** Originally posted by Mystic **

I have read in one of the posts that you can use dead sea salts in your hot tub. I was wondering how much and how often?
Thanks
Debbie

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by misales **

I think Sally, Gitoverit, uses them in the hot tub. I haven't done it, since when I had my hot tub I had a hard enough time finding the time to maintain the chemistry so I no longer have one. My only concern with using salt in the hot tub is that it may make your heating element corrode more quickly. If you're from the north you should have a good idea what salt water does to metals.

I would ask Sally on how she does it if she does. My plan when I find the time is to put in one of those indoor jacuzzi tubs in my basement when I finish it off. This way it's drained every time and the heat would come from the hot water heater. It may cost a little more for the water and gas bill but still should be less than the cost of mainting the 220v electric outside for the winter.

Man, I just took a soak in Robathol today in my regular tub and I feel great. I think I'll do the salts tonight.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

Hi Debbie....I've been using the dead sea salts outdoors all last year and this year.....the salts aren't cheap...I get them online at

http://www.saltworks.us/shop/category.asp?idCat=2
however you might want to check ebay or other sources......I get a large bag and it lasts the whole year almost.....I kinda follow the instructions on the bag.....the first time I added about a 1/2 quart into the tub...and then every so often I would throw in a large paper cup full....you can tell by the buoyancy of the water.....I live near Chicago and get extreme temperature changes......but I've sat out while the snow is falling.....and love it....the worse part is the clothing worn when you get out...it gets colder before skin does....so if you live in a secluded area the birthday suit is the best! I find that reading helps me stay in longer...otherwise it gets boring....so I always have a book or magazine going......and the timeing is always an hour or longer....the only metal in or near the the hot tub workings would be the metal in the furnace pipes....and DH says the salts shouldn't hurt them.....everything else is PVC pipes.......we have no problem with the water conditions since a lot of people are changing over to salt water Bromide) for their swimming pools....I would love to.....but you can't teach an old dog new tricks.....DH gets rather set in his ways of doing something....so it might be a battle in that area.....we have a pool thats open in the warmer months and it is cycled thru the hot tub too altho it can be separated also.......every once in a while he'll add some bleach to the water to keep any algae down.....but the same water is recycled during the whole winter months...hope I've answered all your questions......oh and the results are great....I really feel less plaque with the sea salts than any other bath product!....

** Originally posted by StevenJS **

MY derm told me that epsom salts work just as good...all the salt really does is take some of the itching away. They did a study with salt and light and stuff.

1)Salt in a bath and sun outside.
2)Salt in a bath and UVB lights inside.
3)Sun alone outside.
4)UVB alone inside.

Conclusions: All showed the same amount of improvement. Similarities: All used light treatments in one form or another.

The salt doesnt really help psoriasis.

P.S. If your hot tub isn't designed for use with salts, you will burn out your jets and motors prematurely. It can get very expensive to replace parts.
I service hottubs and have seen it too many times.

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

thank goodness I had checked with the company that made our hot tub and the company that installed ours.....they assured me it was ok....plus DH says the salt doesn't come close to the motor in the one we have.....But even so....I would still use it...who's more important me or the tub????? :D ....I wish the study had included me....cause I really feel so much better after an hour or two out there....I also add bubbles...ha-ha I think I'll have my picture taken the next time it snows just to show you all....me in a bubble bath outside! did they use dead sea salts in that study?....

It's true dead sea salts in the hot tub doesn't cure or get rid of psoriasis....but then what does??????????? :confused:

but it sure does get rid of scales......I used it everyday last year and had NO SCALES all winter....and then again that's me....maybe it will do nothing for anyone else......I wonder how long the people in the study took their soaks? and how long the study lasted? those are important considerations in any survey.....

** Originally posted by floridian **

The magnesium in epsom salts or dead sea salts does more than just relieve itching - it can reduce the immune hyperactivation of some skin cells that are associated with the psoriasis mechanism.

Another interesting study found that significant amounts of magnesium can be absorbed through a hot bath - they put around 1 pound of epsom salts in a typical sized tub, and measured magnesium in the blood and urine. This is good news because a) it goes to the problem more directly and in higher levels, and b) no risk of laxative effect as can happen with too much magnesium taken orally. And epsom salts are widely available and relatively cheap ... $0.5 - $1 per bath retail in my neck of the woods. http://www.mgwater.com/transdermal.shtml

J Invest Dermatol. 2000 Oct;115(4):680-6.

Magnesium ions inhibit the antigen-presenting function of human epidermal Langerhans cells in vivo and in vitro. Involvement of ATPase, HLA-DR, B7 molecules, and cytokines.

Schempp CM, Dittmar HC, Hummler D, Simon-Haarhaus B, Schulte-Monting J, Schopf E, Simon JC. Department of Dermatology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany. schempp@haut.ukl.uni-freiburg.de

The combination of seawater baths and solar radiation at the Dead Sea is known as an effective treatment for patients with psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. Dead Sea water is particularly rich in magnesium ions. In this study we wished to determine the effects of magnesium ions on the capacity of human epidermal Langerhans cells to stimulate the proliferation of alloreactive T cells. Twelve subjects were exposed on four subsequent days on the volar aspects of their forearms to 5% MgCl2, 5% NaCl, ultraviolet B (1 minimal erythemal dose), MgCl2 + ultraviolet B, and NaCl + ultraviolet B. Epidermal sheets were prepared from punch biopsies and were stained for ATPase and HLA-DR. Compared with untreated skin, the number of ATPase+/HLA-DR+ Langerhans cells was significantly reduced after treatment with MgCl2 (p = 0.0063) or ultraviolet B (p = 0.0005), but not after NaCl (p = 0.7744). We next questioned whether this reduced expression of ATPase and HLA-DR on Langerhans cells bears a functional relevance. Six subjects were treated on four subsequent days with 5% MgCl2, ultraviolet B (1 minimal erythemal dose), and MgCl2 + ultraviolet B. Epidermal cell suspensions from treated and untreated skin were assessed for their antigen-presenting capacity in a mixed epidermal lymphocyte reaction with allogeneic naive resting T cells as responder cells. Treatment with MgCl2, similarly to ultraviolet B, significantly reduced the capacity of epidermal cells to activate allogeneic T cells (p = 0.0356). Magnesium ions also suppressed Langerhans cells function when added to epidermal cell suspensions in vitro. The reduced antigen-presenting capacity of Langerhans cells after treatment with MgCl2 was associated with a reduced expression by Langerhans cells of HLA-DR and costimulatory B7 molecules, and with a suppression of the constitutive tumor necrosis factor-alpha production by epidermal cells in vitro. These findings demonstrate that magnesium ions specifically inhibit the antigen-presenting capacity of Langerhans cells and may thus contribute to the efficacy of Dead Sea water in the treatment of inflammatory skin diseases.

Pharmacology. 1996 May;52(5):321-8.

Inhibition of proliferation of psoriatic and healthy fibroblasts in cell culture by selected Dead-sea salts.

Levi-Schaffer F, Shani J, Politi Y, Rubinchik E, Brenner S. Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University School of Pharmacy, Jerusalem, Israel.

The effect of five selected minerals abundant in the Dead-sea brine was studied on proliferation of fibroblasts grown from psoriatic and healthy skin biopsy specimens in cell culture. The reason for carrying out this study was looking for the mechanism of the antiproliferative effect of selective Dead-sea minerals in improving the psoriatic condition. Psoriatic skin shave biopsy specimens (both from involved and uninvolved areas of the body) as well as healthy skin (obtained from amputated limbs) were incubated in tissue culture, and their outgrowing fibroblasts were used for this study. The number of cells and their cyclic AMP content were used as parameters for cell division and for proving the selective involvement of magnesium salts in the antiproliferative effect. It is shown that the inhibitory effects of magnesium bromide and magnesium chloride on cell growth were significantly stronger than those of their corresponding potassium salts or of sodium chloride. These results were obtained with both psoriatic and healthy skin fibroblasts, indicating that the inhibitory effect of the selected Dead-sea minerals is present in healthy and psoriatic skin cells.

** Originally posted by howardkatz **

Does anyone out there have any information about traveling to Israel and seeking treatment there? If so, can you give me hotel names, clinic names, etc. Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders