Curious- How Much Does Enbrel Cost per Shot?

** Originally posted by pammy1 **

I had been approved for Enbrel 1-2 years ago when Soriatane wasn't the answer for me. I was too scared to do it.

I'm on BCBS-TX and I'll have to pay 30% of the costs out of pocket since it's a premium medication - if I get approved at all now.

I just noticed that I have some small spots appearing in places I never had P before and I really need to take a look at this possibility again. It doesn't look like my skin wants to hold out for CNTO-1275 like I had hoped.

So- I'm looking for out of pocket costs from someone on BCBS please and also if anyone is actually paying 100% on their own so I can be prepared if the insurance company denys me this time.

Thanks so much and I understand if this is too personal of a question since it's dealing with financial stuff.

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Pammy,

This is one of those "it depends" questions. (You'll see why in a minute.) I'm sure that other people will come along and share their experiences with you, but to give you some idea of what you may encounter, here's Sue's (Beachbound) description of the different price quotes that she received, when she called several drug stores, near Ocean City, MD. (This thread is from 2004 -- I'm sure that the prices have increased since then.)

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11307.

Sue was able to significantly lower out of pocket cost, after the called Enbrel's customer assistance helpline -- Enliven Services -- and they made arrangments to fill her prescription from a mail order pharmacy:

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11753.

I hope this helps!

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Mike

PS- I have been doing some searches and couldn't find anyone with BCBS-TX listed on the threads and they seem to vary from state to state ALOT.

I will also contact Enliven once I find out the damage.

Anyone with more information- I welcome it with open arms!! :)

Hi Pammy,

This is one of those "it depends" questions. (You'll see why in a minute.) I'm sure that other people will come along and share their experiences with you, but to give you some idea of what you may encounter, here's Sue's (Beachbound) description of the different price quotes that she received, when she called several drug stores, near Ocean City, MD. (This thread is from 2004 -- I'm sure that the prices have increased since then.)

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11307.

Sue was able to significantly lower out of pocket cost, after the called Enbrel's customer assistance helpline -- Enliven Services -- and they made arrangments to fill her prescription from a mail order pharmacy:

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11753.

I hope this helps!

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Mike

Thanks so much Mike- I was posting at the same time and didn't see your response until afterwards. You are always sooooo helpful!

** Originally posted by nyoki **

BCBS MD had it at 20% OOP expenses. The cost of Enbrel was ~$6000 for a 6 month supply and I would have paid ~$1200. Fortunately for me I also have Carefirst, so I only paid $25 co-pay. Ridiculous isn't it. My hubby took a state job just for that kind of coverage for me. Good luck!

** Originally posted by tim49120 **

I pay $50 a month co pay with my BCBS plan. It says on the script I saved just over $3,000.

I took the amount I pay and the amount I saved divided by 8 and the cost per shot would be $380.00.

Thanks everyone! I guess if I do get approved and knock out all the costs of the topicals, maybe the additional cost really isn't so bad. Crossing my fingers and thinking about this decision through the weekend and then I'll contact my Derm.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders