Crisco or Coconut Oil for Moisturizer?

Okay, I've tried the Glycerin and it does not help for my P. I recently heard on a dermatology program that people years ago used Crisco for body/face moisturizer and that it really works. Has anyone tried this or Coconut oil on the skin and if so, how has it worked for you? I've always heard that if you cannot eat it, do not put it on your skin as everything you put on your skin absorbs into the body! I never paid much attention to that in the past but maybe I should.....

17 replies. Join the discussion

I use pure virgin coconut oil and like it.It is great for lifting scales on scalp, for that I put on overnight and wash out in the morning makes hair shiny too.I get it from the health food shop it comes solid but I put it in a squeeze bottle and melt it in hot water in a bowl while I shower then apply. A good tip for any moisturiser you put on your body is after your shower leave skin slightly damp and then apply moisturiser it locks in the moisture and helps me. I ran out of it once and the only thing I had was Crisco sunflower oil and I put that in my dry ears and it helped.Mosturiser is the key for me for keeping P at bay as I moisturise every day sometimes twice a day and it helps.Most mild baby products that moisturise are great. I avoid anything with mineral oil.

I stopped using all lotion and hair product almost a year ago, and solely use 1005 organic extra virgin coconut oil. My skin has never felt better. My dandruff stopped. You can also eat a spoonful of it while putting it on after the shower. It's good for you inside and out. I recommend it to my friends who don't have psoriasis, too.

I'd never put crisco on my face. Isn't that just fat? Sounds like acne waiting to happen.

I really like renew from Melaluca. I'm really fond of tea-trea oil and it has it in it also. It seems expensive but lasts longer than most products. I have been using it since 06. They have laundry soap, cleaning supplies, bath soap ect. everything has the tea tree oil in it. which has ani-bacterial & ani-fungial properties in it.

I have taken pure tea tree oil and mixed it with 100% aloe and put it on my lesions and it feels really soothing. (esp while there moist from shower or bath)

I would think the crisco would clog your pores and cause more problems or even sting. I have never tried coconut oil. (I don't like anything about coconut taste, smell or texture lol) So I cant give any recommendations there.

I have tried the coconut oil and have put it directly on the spots. Its good for awhile, then it appears to quit working. I am still looking for some thing for my hands and feet.

Thank you for all of your replies. I would think that if Crisco clogs your pores, wouldn't Coconut oil do the same as it is also a fat? Haven't tried either yet but willing to try about anything.

actually crisco s recommended by plastic surgeons after plastic surgery . [the oil] it s mld and has no alcohol and a vegetable ol so it s calming and does not burn .I read on a few sites that C cream ,aka CRISCO s gven to patients in a fancy jar and the patents think it is an expensive skin cream . Its crisco . If you want to fancy up your crisco mix with coconut oil and whip with electric mixer ,add a few drops of red food grade food coloring and you will have a very expensive looking pink face cream . Put in a fancy jar . trust me if you whip crsco it is so nice and creamy you won't believe it . makes a fabulous night cream , Just use a little.You can add a drop of lavender and there you go . Have done this . its great . only use a dab on your face . whatever doesn't sink in after 5 minutes wipe off with tissue. cathy from ma

I also have been using organic coconut oil. I love it. It has helped with the plaques so I am not itchie. I also use a small amount in my hair. I don't have p on my scalp, but Iove the way it makes my hair feel.

Baloney,
Thanks for the great idea of mixing both! Love the lavender added too!

Anna

I have a recpe for crisco hand cream if anyone wants it . let me know.
cathy from ma

ive used vegetable shortening on the big patches of P on my arms, and it really helped reduce redness and flaking. ive also used extra virgin coconut oil on my whole body and have felt great relief by the next morning, but im really bad at routine so i never remember to use it daily. i love how coconut oil smells, and used to have a friend that would give me massages with it, because, well.. i cant reach all the patches on my back :)

to asphyxia, I had not thought of messages for the spots I can't reach. Have you heard of spa's that do this specificly for people with p?

Baloney, Would love that recipe for hands, Thanks!

Anna

Can you give me the recipe for Criso hand lotion? Husbands hands in bad shape! Thanks

hi there

if you are looking for a deep natural moisturiser then try Skin Salvation by Purepotions.
One of the ingredients is hemp seed oil which is rich in essential fatty oils.

check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX7edXT0FLc

and good luck x

What about Vitamin D oil? Does anyone use that?

coconut oil seems to be working for me. I use Psoriasian Gel and then add the oil. The combination has been working better than anything else I've tried and I've tried a lot. My brother used this combo and his P has cleared completly. I plan to take another step, maybe Vitamin D.

SUNLiLY,
I WLL POST THE CRSCO HAND CREAM RECPE FOR YOU TOMMORROW . gOTTA GO FIND T .
cathy from ma

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders