Complete Psoriasis Remission with Stem Cells

Of all the Before & After shots of psoriasis, somehow, this one always seems to be one of the most encouraging ones I've seen in the past year - not only because of the source, but also because it's seems optimistic that maybe the 'Stem Cell' path will yield some "P" answers someday soon.

From the Journal of Clinical Oncology:

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/26/27/4511.full

There are inclusions to facebook, delicious, connotea and technorati, etc. -. (pdf form also downloadable for teaching purposes.) - but you must request permission from Journal of Clinical Oncology for use other than personal viewing.

The patient was being treated for Multiple Myeloma - (cancerous t-cells) There were a number of other complications and treatments and drugs involved - and the dramatic changes could certainly be a result of the combination of several variables, but the ultimate remission of the psoriasis following the stem cell therapy was a tremendous result!

At the time this was published, the psoriasis was still in remission - although the Myeloma cells had relapsed. His psoriasis and arthritis cleared with the stem cell therapy and stayed in remission - even without continue steroids and phototherapy.

It's a fascinating case -- to hit complete remission at age 35 after suffering with Psoriasis 'Vulgaris' & PA since age 20!

The article is straightforward and reader-friendly - with familiar 'derm' terminology that must of us hear in the doctor's office fairly regularly. ( Thanks to wikipedia and the med-search sites, , you can get assistance with even the most confounding med terms )

Pardon my condensed summary of the article - the JCO article provides the complete case history.

The photo transitions are phenomenal!! WOW!

BEFORE:
http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/26/27/4511/F1.expansion.html

AFTER:
http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/26/27/4511/F2.expansion.html

Does anyone else remember any details about this one --- or has anyone seen some of the similar advances made in Germany & Japan?

there's hope.....on the horizon... there's hope!

peace & healing (soon?)

9 replies. Join the discussion

That is a very good article. Research in south america and india also showed the same results but still at a very small scale - small pleasure !
Stem cell is the next cure for many diseases as it attaches itself to your DNA markup and works its magic and maybe it will become our next hope

Whenever there is something new that develops for P - medicine, or genetic "manipulation" , I get a sense of relief. We have hope in a couple of years and more choice.

K

This sounds very optimistic!! Fingers crossed :) Thanks for posting!

Wonderful news. Thanks for letting us know of these hopeful prospects for P and PA.

To give you another perspective on stem-cell transplants, I will tell you about my brother's experience. He was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) about 5 years ago and has gone through hell and back trying to cure himself. He had a stem-cell transplant because if he didn't he would have to have high-dose chemotherapy every year which would eventually wear him down. The stem-cell transplant worked, but now he has graft-vs.-host disease, where his new blood is rejecting his skin, and he is suffering from scleroderma on his arms and hands, among other issues. He also gets a rash whenever he works up even a slight sweat. So now he has to go to Boston 2x per week for photophoresis treatment, where his blood is processed by being exposed to light. Meanwhile, he is told not to expose himself to sunlight, because he is highly susceptible to skin cancer! And he is on high doses of prednisone and other anti-rejection drugs. He has not worked for years. I wouldn't go near stem-cell treatments unless my life depended on it.

When my brother was asking his siblings for blood work to see if any of us were candidates to be donors, I told him of my anxiety in being a donor because of my P. Luckily, I was not a good match for him. I wouldn't want to donate this condition to anyone!

NJ Pat - I'm sorry to learn about what your brother is going through. It sounds like he's been to 'hell and back' a few times over with all of this. The second page of that article tells about the successes and risks of thestem cell treatment, and it's strange that stem cell therapy can be a potential treatment for something like scleroderma and yet also be a potential cause for the same disease.

I've talked with persons from Europe who have had treatments similar to what you mentioned as the photophoresis treatment where the blood is processed by being exposed to light. There is a similar therapy approach that I've heard called "Auto-hemotherapy" which doesn't sound quite as specialized, but where a person's blood is removed, then treated with another agent (often radon or other oxygen compound processes) and then re-injected into the patient's bloodstream. My very limited understanding of this process is that the re-injected blood elements are then regarded by the body's immune system as foreign, and the body then attacks the defected or mutated components within the blood, eventually eliminating the underlying problem.

There's so much of all of it that's so mysterious and as always, seemingly so different in every individual.

I guess, for me, it's just encouraging to see the cell 'memory' processes within the cells improve or correct themselves to the extent that the 'good cells' overpower the 'bad cells' and the disease/ inflammation process subsides. I hope that your brother's situation improves and that somehow his body will begin to produce the right response for his condition(s).

Inside each of us are the cells and processes to produce the right results or "health" - as well as the cells which cause all of the various alterations and mutations of disease. Hopefully, we'll learn enough to find therapies or treatments at the cellular level to not only mask or temporarily slow the progression of the disease process but to move it in the direction of restoration and health.

When I see the photos of the complete psoriasis remission, it gives a glimpse of hope that the psoriasis condition can certainly be reversed - with the correct 'programming' that we have within some of our cells -- it's just a matter of mastering the processes to bring that cell memory and function back.

Stem cell therapy seems to offer so much potential in bringing cell health back to the individual, but there are no doubt many negative repercussions as well.

Do you think that find a 'cure' for psoriasis (skin cell over-production) will be as elusive as finding a cure for many of the cancers and related auto-immune diseases ? Since both psoriasis and leukemia share that same component of the excessive amount of abnormal white blood cells, Is getting psoriasis 'remission' as difficult as getting remission from a disease like leukemia?

peace and healing,

Amazing! Unfortunately,Stem cell research is in the hands of the politicians. I do believe there is a cure on the horizon. We are getting closer. The path for Medical research and advancement in Psoriasis will possibly cure,if not help many other diseases. I hope I am here to see that!

And someone asked: How can they say that psoriasis is genetic?

For those that are interested, some info on stem cells and stem cell research>>> http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/

I am not sure if stem cell research will be the end all for solving the puzzle for psoriasis, but observations like the one provided in the original post in this thread gives us hope that stem cell research can and likely will provide key advances in our search for a cure.

Like NJPat I know someone who had a stem cell transplant for Leukemia, he too developed graft vs. host disease and ultimately passed away from it. Stem cell therapies are still in the "experimental" stage if you ask me, and should be considered only in the most grave of cases. Just my personal opinion.

Quest4Cure, I don't think my brother's current graft-vs.-host complications are an unusual circumstance with stem cell transplant recipients. Wikipedia has a good explanation of the risks involved, and it also mentions auto-immune diseases. My brother had to go through high doses of chemotherapy to kill off his own white blood cells before he could get a transplant. After the procedure, he had to stay in his house for a year, until his new immune system was established. Then he had the graft vs. host issues. In GVHD, the new immune system considers the skin to be a foreign element and so tries to attack it. There are no "good cells" vs "bad cells" - just the new immune system trying to do its job. My brother was joking that he was "born again" when he got the transplant done, except that he's the same person on the outside, but a different person on the inside. So it makes sense that someone with P who gets a stem cell transplant will clear, because he/she has a new immune system. But that person is also probably taking large doses of prednisone to keep the "graft" immune system from rejecting its "host" skin.

In reference to your question "Since both psoriasis and leukemia share that same component of the excessive amount of abnormal white blood cells, Is getting psoriasis 'remission' as difficult as getting remission from a disease like leukemia?" - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I consider leukemia to be an overabundance of white blood cells; psoriasis has to do with overactive T cells (a type of white blood cell). Not the same beast. My brother was initially being treated with low-dose chemotherapy to contain his leukemia, as CLL is considered slow-growing. But then it got more aggressive, which sent him down this rabbit hole.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders