Coconut oil...

** Originally posted by Ciro **

....anyone used this for applying on their P????

I'm a clueless guy, what type is good?

Any I've seen in the store look hard/solid, are you suppose to heat it?

Useless in the kitchen

53 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by julesverne **

Hello Ciro.

I've recently read on here that coconut oil is good for p and at the reccommendation of some on here I bought the solid form from Tropical Traditions and it did nothing for my inverse psoriasis. I've tried all sorts of things from people on this board and not much has worked. I will tell you however that about a year ago someone suggested Psoremac. It's a small bottle of cream and you can buy it on letstalkhealth.com. If I recall correctly I purchased two small containers for about $25. YOu can do a search on the boards for it. I have so many lotions and potions in my bathroom cabinet and recently I pulled that out to give it another try and it has helped my inverse psoriasis tremendously. Now if I could just find a cure for my scalp p.

Good luck!

Jules

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

....anyone used this for applying on their P????

I'm a clueless guy, what type is good?

Any I've seen in the store look hard/solid, are you suppose to heat it?

Useless in the kitchen

Hi Ciro...coconut oil is good for the skin because it helps replace the acid mantle that gets washed off with soaps....however when it comes to curing a condition such as inverse or even plaque P I don't think it can do the job by itself!

I resorted to Difflucan (prescription from my doc) and I was amazed at how well it cleared me....by not staying on the candida diet some has crept back on my scalp and ears....(I'm working on that now)

inverse, for me, was and is caused by too much sugar...yeast loves and lives off of sugary and yeast foods...including yeasty beer ;)

coconut oil is a low melt point oil...if you take a clump and hold it in your hand it will melt....I keep a small container in different spots where I will be...bathroom for after shower or bath, by the TV, next to the computer! it only takes a very small amount to cover the whole body......according to one of the authorities on coconut oil, he says 1 teaspoon will cover the whole body! any more will sit on top of the skin....and not getting absorbed!

here is more info on coconut oil

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26595&highlight=fungus

Quote:
Why is coconut oil the best oil for your skin?
By Roger Bert

Organic Coconut Oil -
Coconut oil is great as a skin moisturiser. A study shows that extra virgin coconut oil is as useful and safe as mineral oil when used as a moisturiser, with absence of adverse reactions. Antiseptic fatty acids in coconut oil help to prevent fungal and bacterial infections in the skin when it is consumed and to some extent, when it is applied directly to the skin.
The only way to gain entry into the body other than through the natural openings, such as the nose and mouth, is by penetrating the skin. When the skin's defenses break down, infections can result. Acne, ringworm, herpes, boils, athlete's foot, and warts (and how about psoriasis?) are just some of the infectious conditions that can affect the skin and body.

When bathing or showering, soap washes the protective layer of oil and acid off our skin. Often afterwards the skin becomes tight and dry. Adding moisturizers helps the skin feel better, but it does not replace the acid or the protective medium chain fatty acid layers that was removed. (the acid mantle talked about in another thread!)

Your skin is vulnerable to infection at this time. You would think that your body would be clean and germ-free after a bath.

But germs are everywhere, floating in the air, on our clothes and everything we touch. Many germs survive washing by hiding in cracks and folds of the skin. Before long your skin is again teaming with microorganisms, both good and bad. Until sweat and oils return to reestablish the body's chemical barrier your skin is vulnerable to infection. If you have a cut or cracked skin, (Psoriasis lesions?) this can allow streptococcus, staphylococcus and other harmful germs entry into the body. (think inverse P)

By using a coconut oil cream, lotion or just pure coconut oil you can quickly help reestablish the skin's natural antimicrobial and acid barrier.
Many people use coconut oil on their skin after every bath. Most commercial creams and lotions are mostly water. Their moisture is quickly absorbed into dry, wrinkled skin. As the water enters the skin, it expands the tissues, like filling a balloon with water, so that wrinkles fade away and the skin feels smoother. But this is only temporary. As soon as the water evaporates or is carried away by the blood stream, the dry, wrinkled skin returns.

No matter how hard you try people will never be able to permanently cure dry, wrinkled skin with any commercial body lotion or body care merchandise. Besides the water, most lotions have an oil of some type. This oil is almost always a highly refined vegetable oil devoid of all natural protective antioxidants. One product in our food supply and in body care products that leads to a great deal of free radicals is oxidized vegetable oils.

The biggest chemical barrier to infectious organisms is the acid layer on the skin. Healthy skin has a pH of about 5, making it slightly acidic. Our sweat (containing uric and lactic acids) and body oils promote this acidic environment. ( the acid in the stomach is mucher higher for breaking down the food solids)

For this reason, sweat and oil do us good. Harmless bacteria can tolerate the acid and live on the skin, but troublesome bacteria can't thrive and their numbers are few. The oil our bodies produce is called sebum. Sebum is secreted by oil glands (sebaceous glands) located at the root of every hair as well as other places. This oil is very important to skin health. It softens and lubricates the skin and hair and prevents the skin from drying and cracking. Sebum also contains medium chain fatty acids, in the form of medium chain triglycerides, that can be released to fight harmful germs. (using harsh shampoos could reduce the protection)
Our skin is made up of connective tissues. These tissues give our skin strength and elasticity. When we are young and healthy the skin is smooth, elastic and supple. This is the effect of strong connective fibers. As we age their fibers are constantly subjected to free-radical attack which breaks them down. As a result, connective tissues become hardened and lose both elasticity and strength. The skin loses its capability to hold itself together and begins to sag and become wrinkled. Once young, soft and smooth the skin turns dry and leathery. Once a free-radical reaction is started it can cause a chain reaction which produces more free radicals, which ultimately damages thousands of molecules. The only way our body has to fight them is with antioxidants. When a free radical comes into contact with an antioxidant, the chain reaction is stopped. For this reason, it is good to have plenty of antioxidants in our cells and tissues to protect us. The number of antioxidants we have in our tissues is determined to a large extent by the nutrients in our diet. Having anti-oxidants (coconut oil is antioxident) in skin care products is important, too. Dr. Ray Peat, a biochemist who has written about the antioxidant properties of coconut oil, states "It is well established that dietary coconut oil reduces our need for vitamin E, but I think its antioxidant role is more general than that, and that it has both direct and indirect antioxidant activities." Virgin Coconut Oil is especially useful in fighting free-radicals, as it is unrefined and hasn't been stripped of any of its natural components through the refining process. Conventional body care goods that are made with refined vegetable oils which have all the antioxidants extracted from them are highly prone to free-radical generation both in and outside the body. That is why eating processed vegetable oils can cause a deficiency in vitamin E and other antioxidants. The antioxidants are used up fighting off free radicals causing permanent damage to connective tissues. This is also the reason why you should be careful about the type of oils you use on your skin, and in your lotions, creams and lip balms. If you use a lotion, or cream with a refined oil in it you are in fact causing your skin to age faster. The lotion, though it may bring temporary improvement will actually accelerate the aging of the skin and even develop skin cancer through the free radicals that are readily formed from the refined vegetable oil.. The ideal lotion is one that is made from an oil that not only softens the skin, but protects it against damage, promotes healing and gives it a more youthful, healthy appearance. Coconut oil fits that description. Quality virgin coconut oil is the best natural ingredient for skin lotion available. It prevents destructive free-radical formation and provides protection against them. It can help to keep the skin from developing liver spots, and other blemishes caused by aging and over exposure to sunlight. It helps to keep connective tissues strong and supple so that the skin doesn't sag and wrinkle. In some cases it might even restore damaged or diseased skin. The oil is absorbed into the skin and into the cell structure of the connective tissues, limiting the damage excessive sun exposure can cause. Coconut oil will not only bring temporary relief to the skin, but it will aid in healing and repairing. It will have lasting benefits, unlike most lotions. It can help bring back a youthful appearance. The coconut oil will aid in removing the outer layer of dead skin cells, making the skin smoother. The skin will become more evenly textured with a healthy "shine". While doing this the coconut oil will penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and strengthen the underlying tissues.

here is some info on fungus/yeast in case you have some signs of it!

http://www.psoriasis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21315&highlight=fungus

** Originally posted by topsul **

I use it after I shower in the morning. It absorbs better than olive oil, thus doesn't get on my clothes as bad. I like it better than other lotions, because it doesn't dry you out like some of those do.

That and natural soaps showed a little improvement when I switched over.

I use it after I shower in the morning. It absorbs better than olive oil, thus doesn't get on my clothes as bad. I like it better than other lotions, because it doesn't dry you out like some of those do.

That and natural soaps showed a little improvement when I switched over.

Which one do you use, a link would be great if possible :-)

Hello Ciro.

I've recently read on here that coconut oil is good for p and at the reccommendation of some on here I bought the solid form from Tropical Traditions and it did nothing for my inverse psoriasis. I've tried all sorts of things from people on this board and not much has worked. I will tell you however that about a year ago someone suggested Psoremac. It's a small bottle of cream and you can buy it on letstalkhealth.com. If I recall correctly I purchased two small containers for about $25. YOu can do a search on the boards for it. I have so many lotions and potions in my bathroom cabinet and recently I pulled that out to give it another try and it has helped my inverse psoriasis tremendously. Now if I could just find a cure for my scalp p.

Good luck!

Jules

Jules,

You've confused me :-)

>it did nothing for my inverse psoriasis

>to give it another try and it has helped my inverse psoriasis tremendously

Can someone please recommend a good one as I'm going shopping tomorrow :-)

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

I am interested in this too. Does it come in lotion form..or must the oil be used? Is there a brand name? I frequent walmarts quite a bit, can it be bought there?

** Originally posted by waterbuf **

Hello Just Ducky...

To begin with, virtually everything Walmart has on its shelves
is not worth buying.

There may be some brands of skin cream that contain a little coconut
oil but that's mostly window dressing. The only way to get the benefits
of coconut oil is to use coconut oil.

How do use it? Depends on what you want to achieve. If it is "rejuvenation
of your skin," rub the "oil" on your skin, from head to toe. If you hope to
heal psoriasis, take three tablespoons of it every day for at least two weeks.

Psoriasis is closely linked with yeast infection. Lots of people are filled
with yeast but don't know it. Kill the yeast and you kill psoriasis. But you
don't accomplish that by anointing yourself with the oil.

By the way, oil is almost a misnomer cuz at room temperature, coconut oil
ain't OIL but solid fat. One of the amazing thing s about the "oil" is that
you need not refrigerate it. Though you keep it at room temperature, it does
not "oxidize," i.e. it does not go rancid.

Here, in nutshell -- telegram style -- my "recipe": three tablespoons of the
oil -- one morning, one noon, one evening -- direct from the spoon. Don't be
afraid that you will gain weight. On the contrary. You will lose weight if that's
what you need. But in addition, you should avoid sugar and sugar junk. Avoid
even sweet varieties of fruit. Go for vegetables. Go for good proteins such
as (raw) eggs, skinned chicken meat, lean pork. I love Italian prosciuto. It's
all lean, raw and cured meat. Go for good yogurt. The best of good yogurts is
yogurt you make yourself. Ask me for a fool-proof recipe that takes no more
than about ten minutes out of your day to make. Go for legumes.

For at least two weeks, no cake(s), no pastry, no junk yogurt -- yogurt "improved" with phoney fruit flavours and sugar.

This approach will kill yeast and set the stage for healing psoriasis.

Any questions? Contact me --

waterbuf@chebucto.ns.ca... 902-477-8221.

Alles Gute... all the best... bonne chance... buena suerte....

waterbuf, alias Ambros MA ND

** Originally posted by MadCat **

....anyone used this for applying on their P???? I'm a clueless guy, what type is good? Any I've seen in the store look hard/solid, are you suppose to heat it? Useless in the kitchen

First and foremost, the coconut oil you purchase should be suitable to eat.

(i.e.) can be added to smoothies or be used as a salad dressing

It is vitally important that you buy the purest oil you can. You need to buy coconut oil that has all of the following attributes:

Organic
Cold Processed
100% Pure virgin
Sold in a glass jar

Fiji or South Pacific coconut oil is meant to be the best (avoid oil from The Philippines)

Any good organic health food store should stock it.

For people in Australia, please PM me and I will give you details of a supplier who has the most delicious coconut oil which is fantastic for skin-care too.

Do NOT bother buying cosmetic coconut oil – it is a complete waste of money. This coconut oil is artificial, manufactured in a lab. And once it is mixed with other chemical type ingredients, it can actually have the opposite effect and can irate your skin.

In warm weather / in a warm kitchen cupboard / on a warm bathroom shelf / the oil will be either be very soft or liquid.

As the weather / room, gets colder, the coconut oil will solidify.

Just use it however it is at that given moment, it may even change form throughout the day.

You do NOT need to heat the oil, as it melts on contact.

For Example: At the moment it is cold winter in Australia. I have a jar of coconut oil in bathroom and it is solid all the time. In the morning after a shower, I simply scrape out a solid bit with my fingers and rub my hands together. Within seconds of rubbing, the hard coconut has turned into liquid and I then use it as an all over body moisturiser.

I also have a jar in my kitchen cupboard and I just scrape out a teaspoon when needed, as soon as you mix it in a smoothie, it melts.

Like with any new thing, you should allow at least three months to see positive results.

I think it is brilliant for psoriasis – as long as you get the right sort and are prepared to give it time

It is also great for other things. I had an unexplained rash on my leg and the doctor gave me a medicated lotion, which did nothing. I started using the coconut oil after a shower and within four weeks the rash had cleared up. I also use it as a hair conditioning treatment and a deodorant. And I also eat it straight from the jar and use it in other food.

Hope this helps?

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

I found the organic coconut oil in vitamin shoppe. I havent opened or used it yet...as I have been experimenting with jojoba.

Right now..my p is in pretty good shape. It seems to do its best this time of the year.

Thanks for the info on it turning rancid. I worried about that and its one reason why I didnt even open it.

I dont know if I want to eat it..lol..but, I will definitely try it on my skin.

Oh..and I dont have any fungus or yeast, just p. I was tested for fungus.

** Originally posted by ladyleo1968 **

:confused: you mentioned not to get oil from phillipines... why is that?

** Originally posted by MadCat **

:confused: you mentioned not to get oil from phillipines... why is that?

Apparently oil from Fiji and other Pacific Islands is the purest you can buy.

Apparently oil from The Philippines is sometimes not-so-pure. Sometimes old and rancid and sometimes “watered” done, as it is cheaper to produce that way.

Now I can’t confirm this for sure BUT five different people have now told me this and three of them were alternative health experts.

If you hear it once you usually discount it. If you hear it five times, you tend to think there is some true in it.

None of these five people were trying to sell me anything; they were just imparting their prior knowledge with me.

If you were in The Philippines and made your own fresh coconut oil I am sure it would be great but I am talking about export quality, not fresh off the tree.

Also The Philippines would be more industrialised and polluted than Fiji and other Pacific Islands, so perhaps they are taking that into consideration too.

From my own personal experience, Fijian 100% virgin coconut oil is far superior to all others I have tried.

Anyway whatever works for you is the best one to choose.

** Originally posted by deeann **

I resorted to Difflucan (prescription from my doc) and I was amazed at how well it cleared me....

Hello, GitOverIt. I am thinking of trying Difflucan and coconut oil. Since Difflucan is a prescription antifungal, did you take the coconut oil orally at the same time? I'm just wondering if there would be problems since the coconut oil has antifungal properties, too?

Thanks so much for your information. It sounds like you really know what you're doing!

Hi Deeann
It's been a while since I took the Difflucan......but I think I was only using the coconut oil as a skin lubricant!
It is great as a lotion/cream!
The Difflucan cleared up the psoriasis!:p

It's been a while since I took the Difflucan......but I think I was only using the coconut oil as a skin lubricant!
It is great as a lotion/cream!
The Difflucan cleared up the psoriasis!:p

Thanks, GitOverIt. Just wondering what dosage of Difflucan you took and for how long, if you remember.

I took Difflucan for 10 days.....I think it was one pill every other day!

I took Difflucan for 10 days.....I think it was one pill every other day!

Thanks, I'm going to give Difflucan and coconut oil a try. I'll let you know how it goes!

** Originally posted by Mikel **

I'm not a big fan of any oils other than Olive Oil but my soap & facial mosturizer seem to have cococnut oil as the main ingredient, so I thought I'd post here. The mosturizer is Mimyx by Stiefel & the soap is an organic soap with 25% coconut oil , 1% Almond Oil & Sugar.

** Originally posted by caitmin **

Standard coconut oil USP is available from most drugstore for a lot less than $25 - If you ask the pharmacist they can normally special order it. Walgreens also has a good selection

Good to use in a combination with super sensitive cleanser - I like exederm wash, color free, parabens free, SLS free etc.

http://www.walgreens.com
http://www.exederm.com

** Originally posted by LoElyse **

you should also try to find stuff with hemp seed oil as well... I have been using shampoos, conditioners, and lotions with it, love it! "Hempz" makes great products... check it out, i fully reccomend it

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders