Coconut Oil

** Originally posted by maleka **

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I have posted anything, but I just wanted to share some information I found on the internet that may benefit us. It is about the many benefits of coconut oil. Here is a quote I found from the website http://www.coconutdiet.com. I hope this is helpful to you

"Last year I stared noticing embarrassing little red scaly itchy patches of skin on my hands. I tried just about every lotion for dry and sensitive skin on the Wal-Mart shelf, and got very few results. I made an appointment with my doctor and she diagnosed me with psoriasis. She sent me to the pharmacy with a prescription for a psoriasis cream and a lotion and instructed me to use them everyday. The lotion and cream stung so bad, it was worse then the itchy skin I had been dealing with for months. By this time I had big patches on my hands, few on my neck, and on my eyelids. I was getting desperate because people were starting to notice more and more my red flaky skin. While doing some research for a natural solution on line I stumbled across the Tropical Traditions website, and read about all the health benefits of cold pressed coconut oil. I don't see anything specific about helping to alleviate the dry skin of psoriasis, but it did say it was an excellent skin moisturizer so I thought I would give it a try. The day I got it I started adding a little to just about everything I ate. I ended up incorporating about 2-3 Tablespoons a day into my food, and using it as a moisturizer on my psoriasis patches as well as the rest of my body. In no time at all my psoriasis was gone. As an added bonus my splotchy complexion started evening out, my skin has never been softer, and my body temperature rose to the level where I was no longer cold all the time. I am very grateful I found this perfect oil, it has made a huge difference in the way my skin looks and feels. I am now a lifetime customer of Tropical Traditions Cold Pressed Coconut Oil. Ashley - La Cygne, KS"

Happy Holidays to you all!
Maleka

32 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by GitOverIt **

Hi Maleka.... I remember you!
I am a great advocate of coconut oil...in fact I think people are beginning to think "all right already" I have used it for years ever since my cholesterol came down from taking it in tablesppons of it! I alos use it as a body oil....I ran out of it last summer and didn't reorder right away so my cholesterol test came back up....I'm on it again! I have both expeller pressed and reg. a bucket of each!
Arl cleared her feet using the coconut oil....
A doctor on another forum saw another gal and I talking about psoriasis and he came on and told us to eat coconut oil several times a dy by the spoonful....( i melt mine) and take it with OJ also use it in cooking)and to use it with pure lavender oil for a lotion and that the P would go away....guess he was right...I'm starting to use it on my scalp P so we will see how that goes!!!! thanks for writing and please come back more often!

** Originally posted by Nanicker **

My 9 year old has accused me of being obsessed with coconut oil. :-)

Nancy

** Originally posted by nalinee **

I'd like to share my own home made coconut oil recipe. I am from Trinidad (living in NY for 15yrs) and i grew up smelling the delicious aroma of homemade coconut oil.

I make my own oil at least once a month and i feel transported to the warmth of the Caribbean every morning! I did not know it was sooo good for P suffers! I am delighted to have stumble across this coconut board!

Get 1 or 2 (or as many as you like) dry coconuts, it looks like a big brown nut. Break the coconut and cut the white meat in small pieces. Put in a blender with a few cups of water and blend for 1 min.

Strain with kitchen towel or anything cotton.

The strained coconut milk should be left in a large bowl overnight.

After about 15 hrs. (overnight) there should be a thick white topping. Remove with a spoon the top of the coconut milk and put in a regular iron pot (do not use a non-stick pot) to cook for about 20-30 mins on medium heat.

2 coconut should get you enough oil for about 3-4 weeks.

The milk you get is pure coconut milk that can be used in cooking...i use it in fish stew, callaloo, soups etc.

** Originally posted by nesielheum **

Sounds yummy nalinee :)
But I don't think I could bear putting the coconut meat into a blender.
It tastes far to good in its natural state. :o
I bet it would be excellant in some dishes though.
Especially baked or broiled fish, or perhaps chilled in a Pina Collada!
I just might be inclined to give this a try.
Thanks!

If you notice this is an old thread but well worth revival

I'm a big fan of coconut oil...both for applying to the skin and also for cooking! I used to take spoonfulls of coconut oil that I melted in a small pan (really small...so small it fits on one side of the stove burner) the pan was so small it got lost and I got out of the habit of taking it...but now I'm starting up again!
I still use it exclusively for all my cooking....I'm trying to find a way to keep it melted for salad dressing....but haven't yet! (coconut oil has a low melt point so when it touches cold salad greens it gets hard)

hmmmm think I'll google that and see if anyone has found a solution!

coconut oil benefits
Let’s take a look at the healing properties of coconut oil:

Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal (kills yeast too) and antibacterial.

It attacks and kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as herpes, HIV, hepatitis C, the flu, and mononucleosis.

It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, sore throats, dental cavities, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, food poisoning, pneumonia, and many, many more bacterial infections.

It kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause candida, ringworm, athletes foot, thrush, jock itch, diaper rash and more.

Coconut oil is called the “low fat” fat. It actually acts like a carbohydrate in that it is quickly broken down in the liver and used as quick energy.

It is NOT stored like other fats.

It boosts one’s energy and endurance. Many athletes use it blended into their drinks.

It also supports thyroid function and increases your metabolism (great if you want to lose weight).

Coconut oil improves digestion and absorption of fat soluble vitamins, minerals (especially calcium and magnesium), and amino acids.

It improves the body’s use of blood glucose and improves insulin secretion and absorption (great for type II diabetes). In fact, many diabetics (type I and type II) use it to reduce their symptoms. One’s risk of diabetes decreases with regular use of coconuts and coconut oil.

And as we already mentioned, cooking with coconut oil does not create any harmful byproducts.

Coconut oil helps the body heal and repair faster.

It aids and supports immune function, protecting us from a variety of cancers.

Coconut oil, contrary to much hubbub, is good for your heart. It keeps our blood platelets from sticking together (and causing dangerous clots). Regular users of coconut oils have a much lower chance of atherosclerosis (clogging of the arteries), arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and strokes.

Coconut oil can lower your blood pressure.

Coconut oil is a natural antioxidant. It protects the body from free radical damage and prevents premature aging and degenerative diseases.

Finally, coconut oil is the best massage oil on the planet. What it does to your skin, you simply have to witness. It forms a barrier against infections, softens and moisturizes your skin, and prevents wrinkling, sagging, and age spots. It promotes healthy hair and complexion, protects from any damaging UV rays.

Copyright © 2004
Wellness Directory of Minnesota

** Originally posted by spirited12 **

Well dear friend it sounds so good that some of you have found a suitable alternative by trying the coconut and as one of you have also pointed to the coconut diet too! But I remember having read once too much indulgence in coconuts can lead to obesity, now as I said I do not recollect the place from where I got the info since it has been a long time. So is it advisable to call in another problem in pursuit to heal one?

COCONUT OIL IS A DIETER'S BEST FRIEND :D

All fats are not equal.

And just so we're clear, the terms "fats" and "oils" are often used interchangeably, but fat is more correctly considered solid at room temperature, while oils are liquid ... but what's most important is the structure.

The unique health benefits of coconut oil are directly related to its chemical structure, or more precisely, the length of its fatty acid chains.

Coconut oil is comprised of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also called medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs.

Coconut oil is nature's richest source of these healthy MCFAs.

By contrast, most common vegetable or seed oils are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), also known as long-chain triglycerides or LCTs.

There are several reasons to explain why long-chain fatty acids are not as healthy for you as the MCFAs in coconut oil:

LCFAs are difficult for the body to break down -- they must be packaged with lipoproteins or carrier proteins and require special enzymes for digestion.

LCFAs put more strain on the pancreas, the liver and the entire digestive system.

LCFAs are predominantly stored in the body as fat. (That's why most people buy into the myth that fats are automatically "fattening".)

LCFAs can be deposited within arteries in lipid forms such as cholesterol.

On the other hand, however, the MCFAs in coconut oil are healthier, because:

MCFAs are smaller. They permeate cell membranes easily, and do not require lipoproteins or special enzymes to be utilized effectively by your body.

MCFAs are easily digested, thus putting less strain on your digestive system. This is especially important for those of you with digestive or metabolic concerns.

MCFAs are sent directly to your liver, where they are immediately converted into energy rather than being stored as fat.

MCFAs in coconut oil can actually help stimulate your body's metabolism, leading to weight loss.

Coconut Oil Is The Dieter's Best Friend

If you live in the United States, you have a 55% chance of being overweight.

And, by now, I'm sure you're aware that obesity affects your quality of life and is linked to many health concerns.

One of the best benefits of coconut oil lies in its ability to help stimulate your metabolism.

Back in the 1940s, farmers found out about this effect by accident when they tried using inexpensive coconut oil to fatten their livestock.

It didn't work!

Instead, coconut oil made the animals lean, active and hungry.

Now, I'm certainly not comparing you to a farm animal ...

However, many animal and human research studies have demonstrated that replacing LCFAs with MCFAs results in both decreased body weight and reduced fat deposition.

So, by changing the fats in your diet from the unsaturated long-chain fatty acids found in vegetable or seed oils to the MCFAs in coconut oil, along with following an exercise plan, you may find yourself gradually losing those unnecessary pounds.

The reasons are simple:

The long-chain fats nearly always go to fat storage, while the MCFAs are burned for energy

Since coconut oil helps to stimulate your metabolism, you may burn more calories each day, helping to accelerate weight loss (and probably your activity & energy level)

Coconut oil has often been compared to carbohydrates in its ability to be "burned" for energy. However, since insulin is not involved in the process of digesting the MCFAs in coconut oil, you won't get those carb-related spikes in your blood sugar level. This is especially good news for those of you concerned about maintaining normal blood sugar levels.

In fact, the ability of MCFAs to be easily digested, to help stimulate the metabolism and be turned into energy has entered the sports arena. Several studies have now shown that MCFAs enhance physical or athletic performance.

Additionally, research has demonstrated that, due to its metabolic effect, coconut oil increases the activity of the thyroid. And you've probably heard that a sluggish thyroid is one reason why some people are unable to lose weight, no matter what they do.

Besides weight loss, there are other advantages to boosting your metabolic rate. The healing process accelerates. Cell regeneration increases to replace old cells, and your immune system functions better overall.

** Originally posted by WhoaTrigger **

Sally, you have converted me to coconut oil. I've been taking it for about a month, and I think it has helped to make my sweet tooth go away! I must admit it was a hard sell. My jar of organic, non-processed oil (it's not really like other oils, it behaves more like margarine) sat on the shelf for months. I was going to throw it out, thought it was bad, but when I tasted it, I was surprised that it was sweet and tasty. Also, I was misled into thinking it was like other cheap, saturated oils, therefore would contribute to clogged arteries. Question. Do you refrigerate it? Does it ever go rancid?
I'm looking forward to getting a cholesterol check for once in my life. It's always been bad news, and the doc tries to talk me into taking drugs to lower it. Won't it be great if it's low? I'll keep you posted.

** Originally posted by graystar **

All this sounds good.
I have used coconut oil on my scalp p for many years.
I buy it at the health food store.
Is that where you buy it to eat too?
I've never thought to eat it or cook with it.

** Originally posted by AnnieB **

Here is a different take on the subject. Everything in moderation!

http://www.pritikin.com/askexperts/001.shtml

...other long-chain saturated fatty acids, like the ones that make up most of the saturated fat in coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils (known as tropical oils), do in fact raise LDL cholesterol considerably. These saturated fats are called palmitic, myristic, and lauric acids. They also make up most of the saturated fatty acids in meat, poultry, and dairy fats like milk and cheese.

Other saturated fats that have little impact on LDL cholesterol levels include medium-chain varieties like caproic, caprylic, and capic acids. A small percentage of the saturated fat in coconut oil, about 10%, is made up of these less harmful saturated fatty acids, but virtually all the rest of coconut oil’s saturated fat is made up of the long-chain varieties that send LDL soaring.

And coconut oil is full of these artery-busting long-chain varieties by the sheer fact that there’s such a huge percentage of saturated fat, 92%, packed into coconut oil to begin with. Ounce for ounce, coconut oil has more saturated fat than butter, beef tallow, and even lard. So coconut oil raises LDL cholesterol as much – or more – than animal fats.

Hi to both of you :D
I've been cooking with it for years...it has a very long shelf life (on the shelf too) does not have to be refridgerated ....mine sits on the shelf next to my stove....I get the gallon size from tropicaltraditions.com (right now they are having buy one get one free....I like the expeller pressed for cooking because it has no taste.....I buy the smaller jars of regular tasting coconut for eating because I don't mind the taste then....but not all foods go with the coconut flavor!
I've told this story before (at least a couple years ago) on here but it's worth retelling!!!
my doc kept nagging me about my cholesterol being too high it went from, on average, 250 to 280 one time it hit 295.....I kept putting her off with the "my family all has high C" which they did...one sister had it in the neighborhood of 500 something :eek:
so I started taking the fish oil and coconut oil by mouth one full tablespoon....I wanted to make sure I took it long enough before I went back for a check up...I think it was like 3 months....but happy days it went down to 180....I don't like it to go too low I'm happy at 200 I don't care what doctors say! they only go by what the drug reps tell them....My husbands cardiologist tried getting my DH to get down to 150!!!!!!! I said "no way"!

I don't think that is healthy at all! as soon as people were getting their cholesterol down to below 200 then the drug companies said LOWER it should be lower!

Ann Louise Gittleman opened my eyes when I read her book Beyond Pritikin!
she was in charge of the diet section at his San Diego clinic, being that she had her PhD and C.N.S in nutrition. but then she noticed people were coming back with health problems from being on a low fat diet! diabetes, mental problems, heart......etc she left his clinic and toured the world studing fats and health and came to her conclusion that the right fats are health promoting.....
after I read her book I stopped all low fat eating and started researching the healthy fats....if you research coconut oil you will see how alternative doctors are far ahead of the allopathic doctors on how healthy fats are for us....
here is a three page report from Sally Fallon and Mary Enig two that have studied and written books on their findings on this subject......a mini course on healthy fats!

If coconut oil is so unhealthy there would be many unhealthy people living in the philippines and other countries where coconut is in their diet.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

Yes, if coconut intake was the ONLY factor that affects your heart health, that would be true. I am not taking an anti-fat position, I am simply trying to look at the full picture regarding coconut oil.

I mostly cook with olive oil. Sometimes I use butter for taste in certain recipes. Like I said, I'm an "everything in moderation" kind of person. Not exactly the popular approach on this particular forum.

Also, there are two types of cholesterol. Most docs will look at the ratio of HDL to LDL. If you have high "good cholesterol" HDL then you don't have to worry as much about your "bad cholesterol" LDL being a bit high.

From the same link as above:

"The coconut oil industry likes to point out that the traditional Polynesian diet – high in tropical oils like coconut – is linked with relatively low rates of heart disease.

"It’s important to remember, however, that heart disease involves several variables," points out Dr. Kenney. "Yes, studies of people on traditional Polynesian diets have found that they have relatively low rates from heart disease despite very high LDL cholesterol levels, but other aspects of their native lifestyle are very healthful, and probably help counteract the cholesterol-raising effect of the coconut fat. Their traditional diet, for example, is very high in dietary fiber and heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids from seafood, and very low in sodium. Historically, native Polynesians also tended to be nonsmokers, and were physically very active. All these factors would certainly promote heart health."

** Originally posted by WhoaTrigger **

Thanks Annie for the great information. Knowledge is power, as the old saying goes, and the more I can learn about food the better. I suppose I will limit my intake of coconut oil to cooking, but I rarely fry anything.
I take fish oil capsules, and in the last cholesterol reading, the ratio was good, which seemed to even out the fact that the LDL was high. It's all very confusing to me, despite my attempts to sort it out.

I'm a little leery of the "everything in moderation". It's too vague for me. It seems that my improved heath resulted from eliminating certain foods from my diet. Also steroids, which I used moderately, with disasterous results. These triggers are still potential catalysts to my skin flaring. My experience is more like a person with specific allergies to foods such as sugar, alcohol, processed food, and corn. Sometimes I try them out to see if I can get away with it, but frankly, I know it's not going to work, and sure enough, soon I'm scratching.

I also believe that the food industry is the last source I want to get information from. Whether they are selling olive oil or coconut oil, their motives are the same. And the makers of cholesterol-lowering drugs have a huge interest in convincing us to take them. I had a friend who had no heart disease symptoms, but was told his cholesterol was a little high, and he started on Lipitor. After a year, he became increasingly debilitated with what became fullblown muscle-wasting disease and nearly died--all as a result of a nasty side-effect of the drug. It's best to do your own research on the risks about taking anything.

About Polynesians and their heart healthy diets, it reminds me of the traditional diet of the Inuit people in the Arctic. Lots of fish, nearly no vegetables, and yet they also could consume seal or whale fat, while being free of heart disease. Their survival depended on hard physical work in a harsh, yet pristine environment. I guess they adapted genetically to exist with this diet.

Bob

Oh, I agree that some people see a very definite connection between some item(s) in their diet and their symptoms, so in that case, I would certainly avoid that food or beverage. Just like you would if you had a true allergy. I just think that doing things like cutting way down on processed foods, soda and sweets, meat, dairy, etc. takes a lot of discipline. Also helpful is adding fiber, taking fish oil, etc. So if you have a "treat" once in a while, it is not necessarily going to undo all that improvement in your overall diet. Labeling foods "evil" seems overboard to me and has some kind of religious/purity metaphor going on. Like if you could just control your diet, nothing bad would ever happen to you!

Annie ...no one said not to have a treat once in a while If I remember correctly Mark will have a transgression once in a while.....I do also but I pay for mine immediately! we don't have saints on the CAM program only wannabe's!....but remember "one man's/woman's treat could be another man's/woman's poison" think peanut allergy for instance!

You are on Enbrel! would you go off of it for a week, restart, go on another day then go off again, try two shots a week change to one? just keep changing your routine?
when we (CAM people) are not on any of the biologics or meds we have to do what we can to get clear.....some may call it a religion/purity....I call it sticking to a plan on getting clear of psoriasis!!!
If I find an interesting article or method of assisting the clearing of P I relay it to to the forum....that does not mean anyone has to believe it, try it, or read it......it is there for info only!

you must find the CAM forum very interesting.......I hope you continue to read and enjoy it!

And when I think that some essential information is left out, I post. Because I AM interested in the topics here. PS: I am on Humira. It's true!

I've been getting Dr. Mercolas newsletters for years, in fact that is where I first read about coconut oil and all it's advantages for health.... he has interviewed many people on various phases of alternative healing, and one of my favorites is Brian Shilhavy.....here are a few questions and answers from that interview...................

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

I've written a lot over the years about the countless advantages of coconut oil. So much so, I even considered writing a book about it. Because I have so many irons in the fire along with maintaining my Optimal Wellness Clinic, Brian and Marianita Shilhavy beat me to it. After reading their book, Virgin Coconut Oil: How it has changed people's lives and how it can change yours!, I'm glad they did!

This exceptional book provides a comprehensive look at the health-promoting properties of coconut oil, one of the most misunderstood and overlooked foods of recent times.

Virgin Coconut Oil is probably the most practical book I've read about the health benefits of coconut oil, supported by scientific research and countless testimonies from people whose lives have been changed merely by using coconut oil.

Probably the most delicious section of the Shilhavy's book is the final third, which is devoted to more than 75 delicious recipes for sauces, soups and main dishes.

Busy promoting the new book, Brian Shilhavy chatted via e-mail with me about the many virtues of coconut oil, how it has changed the lives of many people and of simpler times living in the Philippines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

You feature an extensive list of frequently asked questions in the beginning of your book about the advantages of using virgin coconut oil. What makes virgin coconut oil more effective and advantageous than other oils on the market?

Virgin coconut oil's many health benefits come from the medium-chain length of its fatty acids, or triglycerides (MCTs). Most of the other edible oils on the market today are comprised of long-chain fatty acids. MCTs have many health benefits, including raising the body's metabolism, and fighting off pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, funguses and others.

Coconut oil is nature's richest source of MCTs outside of human breast milk. Virgin coconut oil is very stable oil that does not oxidize and break down quickly like other oils. It also has a shelf life of more than two years.

Typically, when one thinks about cooking oils, weight loss rarely comes to mind. Yet your book includes a number of stories about people who have done just that. What's the connection between virgin coconut oil and losing weight?

Well, the word is finally getting out that low-fat diets don't work. Our bodies need fat and depriving ourselves of it can actually lead to an increase in cravings for other foods, such as refined carbohydrates, that do lead to weight gain. Coconut oil is nature's richest source of MCTs that increase metabolic rates and lead to weight loss. MCTs promote what is called thermogenesis.

Thermogenesis increases the body's metabolism, producing energy. This phenomenon has been shown in many scientific studies. We have also found many people have underlying physical conditions that prevent them from losing weight. One of the most common is a low functioning thyroid. Also, many Americans today suffer from poor digestive health. Coconut oil really shines in these areas, improving thyroid function and digestive health.

Your book does a good job balancing the documented scientific research with lively testimonies that illustrate the benefits of virgin coconut oil. That approach makes for an easier read too. Some writers would've stayed away from using consumer testimonies, but you didn't. Why?

These testimonies are the main reason we wrote the book! It is the story of virgin coconut oil and how it has changed people's lives.

The world needs to hear these people's stories, which we receive on almost a daily basis. It is one thing to quote scientific studies, but quite another to hear the stories of people whose lives have actually been changed by a pure, unrefined coconut oil. This book is as much their story, as it is Marianita's and my story.

According to your book, virgin coconut oil has had its biggest impact on thyroid problems. How can thyroid problems be helped with coconut oil?

Hypothyroidism is truly one of the biggest epidemics of our time, and we have met so many people who have been told that their blood tests are normal, and yet find themselves with symptoms of hypothyroidism. There are very few options today offering any kind of hope of dealing with the underlying cause of this condition.

Probably the most dramatic results we have had reported to us are from those who have thyroid problems and have eliminated polyunsaturated oils from their diet, and started incorporating virgin coconut oil in its place. People's body temperatures increase, they have more energy and some, for the first time, are actually able to start losing weight.

Which skin problems can be helped the best by using virgin coconut oil?

We have had probably more testimonies in the area of skin health than any other one area. This is one benefit of coconut oil that has been well known even in the United States for quite some time.

When we first brought virgin coconut oil to the market to the United States in 2002, there were very few other quality coconut oils available, and the few that did exist were almost exclusively marketed for cosmetic purposes. As we began to publish the research on coconut oil as an edible oil -- that is considered a "functional food" by some like Dr. Mary Enig -- many people began to not only apply it to their skin but also consume it.

The result has been fantastic. We have seen reports of success for almost any kind of skin problem for those who both consume the oil and apply it to their skin. Skin problems related to fungal infections seem to be the most positively affected by the healing properties of Virgin Coconut Oil.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/oct/6/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

The Truth About Saturated Fat

Part 1 of 3 (Part 2, Part 3)

By Mary Enig, PhD, and Sally Fallon

Fats from animal and vegetable sources provide a concentrated source of energy in the diet; they also provide the building blocks for cell membranes and a variety of hormones and hormonelike substances. Fats as part of a meal slow down absorption so that we can go longer without feeling hungry. In addition, they act as carriers for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Dietary fats are needed for the conversion of carotene to vitamin A, for mineral absorption and for a host of other processes.

Politically Correct Nutrition is based on the assumption that we should reduce our intake of fats, particularly saturated fats from animal sources. Fats from animal sources also contain cholesterol, presented as the twin villain of the civilized diet.

The Lipid Hypothesis

The theory-called the lipid hypothesis-that there is a direct relationship between the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet and the incidence of coronary heart disease was proposed by a researcher named Ancel Keys in the late 1950's. Numerous subsequent studies have questioned his data and conclusions. Nevertheless, Keys' articles received far more publicity than those presenting alternate views.

The vegetable oil and food processing industries, the main beneficiaries of any research that found fault with competing traditional foods, began promoting and funding further research designed to support the lipid hypothesis.

The most well-known advocate of the lowfat diet was Nathan Pritikin. Actually, Pritikin advocated elimination of sugar, white flour and all processed foods from the diet and recommended the use of fresh raw foods, whole grains and a strenuous exercise program; but it was the lowfat aspects of his regime that received the most attention in the media. Adherents found that they lost weight and that their blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure declined.

The success of the Pritikin diet was probably due to a number of factors having nothing to do with reduction in dietary fat-weight loss alone, for example, will precipitate a reduction in blood cholesterol levels-but Pritikin soon found that the fat-free diet presented many problems, not the least of which was the fact that people just could not stay on it. Those who possessed enough will power to remain fat-free for any length of time developed a variety of health problems including low energy, difficulty in concentration, depression, weight gain and mineral deficiencies.1

Pritikin may have saved himself from heart disease but his lowfat diet did not spare him from cancer. He died, in the prime of life, of suicide when he realized that his Spartan regime was not curing his leukemia. We shouldn't have to die of either heart disease or cancer-or consume a diet that makes us depressed.

When problems with the no-fat regime became apparent, Pritikin introduced a small amount of fat from vegetable sources into his diet-something like 10% of the total caloric intake. Today the Diet Dictocrats advise us to limit fats to 25-30% of the caloric intake, which is about 2 1/2 ounces or 5 tablespoons per day for a diet of 2400 calories. A careful reckoning of fat intake and avoidance of animal fats, they say, is the key to perfect health.

FOR THE REST OF THIS ARTICLE PLUS...
GO HERE

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

Oh yeah, you definitely need some fat in your diet! (It is said that Pritikin got cancer because he was subjected to high dose radiation when he was young.) PS: Adele David died of cancer at 61. Rodale died of a heart attack at the age of 72 while being interviewed on The Dick Cavett Show. Really! So there are no guarantees, unfortunately!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders