Cerave

** Originally posted by wildflowerAnn **

I'm going to try Cerave moisturizer, to reduce itching, per my derm's advice. He wants me to try it in place of Eucerin Creme. I'll post how well it does. There is an article about using Cerave cleanser and moisturizer in Skin and Aging. I hope this new product works well for me. Other anti-itch lotions have had so-so results.
Ann

18 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by nla **

Ann,

I have been using the Cerave cream a few months now and I absolutely LOVE IT! I find it very calming to my skin. I also have the lotion but I actually prefer the cream, even on my hands. Good luck and I hope it helps!

Nancy

** Originally posted by Joann71 **

Thanks for the product tip. I just looked it up online and I'm going to try to find it somewhere tonight.

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Thanks for mentioning this, Ann. My hands are in very bad shape at the moment (it actually hurts to type) and nothing seems to be working. I'll pick some up on the way home from work tonight. I just came from their website, hopefully one of the stores that they mention will have it in stock: http://www.cerave.com/where.htm.

Mike

Hi, Ann, Mike and Joanne!

I bought mine at CVS. I haven't seen it at WalMart yet. Mike, a tip for those hands (mine, too, are also totally dried and cracking due to this chilling weather!). What I've been using on mine is the Hylira (RX) and then I put the Cerave cream on. The cream comes in a large tub. I think it was around $14 or $15 but I find it lasts a long time, so well worth the $$$. I love it so much that I put some in a smaller container and keep it on my desk at work. EVERYBODY steals some when they are in my office :)

Nancy

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

Thanks, Ann. I've never heard of this, but I'm going to look for it!

Well, after such a good recommendation, I ventured out this morning to find it.
I found it behind the pharmacy counter at my grocery store, so there was no sales tax. The cost was $14.88. I also purchased the cleanser, and will do as you suggested and put on some topical after cleansing, then add the CeraVe cream. I'm only using the topicals about two days per week now, and really look forward to some relief.
Ann

P.S. Well, I used it and it is an almost instant nonabrasive exfoliant. Within about 5 minutes, the top dry skin start to flake off lots and lots, by just rubbing with my fingers. Wow. I didn't know I had so many flakes to lose. So have reapplied to the subsurface and will see how it works towards healing tonight.

Good luck, Ann. I hope it helps! I have not used the cleanser so PLEASE post your results. I just may use it on my tootsies if you give it a good recommendation :) Right now I use both the lotion and the cream but must tell you, I much prefer the cream.

Nancy

** Originally posted by MikeK **

Hi Everyone,

I picked up some CeraVe at CVS today. I bought both the cream and the lotion. I've already tried the lotion. It's too early to tell if I like it or not. I'll be putting on the cream (along with some gloves) when I go to bed tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Mike, a tip for those hands (mine, too, are also totally dried and cracking due to this chilling weather!). What I've been using on mine is the Hylira (RX) and then I put the Cerave cream on. The cream comes in a large tub. I think it was around $14 or $15 but I find it lasts a long time, so well worth the $$$. I love it so much that I put some in a smaller container and keep it on my desk at work. EVERYBODY steals some when they are in my office :)

Thanks, Nancy. The cold weather has been wrecking havoc on my hands. (It really does hurt to type.) They soak up moisturizer like a sponge. I've been meaning to ask for either my derm or my pcp for a prescription for some Hylira. The trouble is I keep postponing my derm appointments, because life keeps getting in the way. (I was supposed to go for my six month check-up, with my derm, on Halloween. Here it is almost Valentine's Day and I still haven't seen her.) I also need to go back to my pcp, because I couldn't stand the side effects from Lipitor, so I'll probably see him before I see my derm. I'll ask him to write the script.

Mike

I was looking at the Cerave website and the same manufacturer also makes a prescription cream, lotion and scalp shampoo called Salex.

http://www.corialabs.com/products.htm

Mike -
They also have a hand protection cream called TheraSeal.

I love this moisturizer! At first, it just exfoliated dead, dry skin for days, and I got red skin. But then, each day, things started getting better. Its only been a few weeks, but the skin barrier has improved greatly. I use the Cerave liquid soap to shower in the evening to get off the day's air pollution, so that I don't use Dove soap twice in one day. That helps to not dry the skin too; and then I apply Cerave cream right after showering. It is not as thick as Eucerin, and a lesser amount covers the whole body. At first, I did use Cerave, and then covered it with Eucerin too. But each day, the need to use both moisturizers has declined. You can feel the medication in the Cerave working on your skin after a week or so. I wish I had known about this product sooner. I know that what works for one person may not work for another, but this is the greatest non-steroid skin helper that I have ever used. :)
Ann

** Originally posted by RichJ **

hi ann,
im glad that it works for your skin. i have to go to the store and i will see if i can find it. i have to find some that works on my legs. they are so dry and itch me to death :( thank you for sharing that

have a good day my friend

richard

Ann
Thank you so much for your initial post about CeraVe. I bought the lotion and the cream. When I first opened the jar I thought it would be just like Cetaphil which I have used in the past. But this stuff is great! It really keeps my p from becoming itchy.

I saw on their website that the same company, Coria, also has a prescription cream, lotion and shampoo called Salex. I'm going to try the shampoo but since I'm happy with the cream/lotion right now I'll hold off on the prescription cream until I have used all of the CeraVe.

Thanks again!!

** Originally posted by escaleraroyal **

any more news about this cream. My derm asked me to try it too. I will buy 1lb pound

** Originally posted by cakp12 **

A while back the NPF had a program to get samples, I did and loved it!!

** Originally posted by JustDucky **

I think i got those samples, too..but the packet was so small, I couldnt tell if I liked it or not. I think it was a lotion in a little foil packet..enough to use once...on a small part of you.

Walmart doesnt carry it. I think I own every lotion walmart carries.

Are you guys using cream or lotion?

** Originally posted by RichJ **

any more news about this cream. My derm asked me to try it too. I will buy 1lb pound

hi escaleraroyal,
welcome to the p family. you have meet some of the wonderful people on here and will find alot of great info. welcome and nice to meet you.

try and have a good day all

richard

** Originally posted by Mcmom52 **

Thanks for the info...gonna give it a try. At my own risk of course...haha

Best wishes for better health to all.

Mcmom

** Originally posted by kaitlinmarie35 **

I've been using the Cerave face wash for nearly a year now and love it. I used to use the moisturizer too, but the bottles just weren't big enough for me! I ran out way too fast, so I switched to Cetaphil Moisturizer and I love it too!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders