** Originally posted by OregonQ **
I was just prescribed Dovonex for my psoriasis. I fell asleep on the couch one night with a half-eaten burrito sitting next to my brand new 60 gram tube of Dovonex. My 11 month old Springer Spaniel ate the WHOLE tube in the middle of the night. (by the way, never touched the burrito) In the morning as soon as I woke up I contacted poison control. At first they said the metal tube was the biggest danger. I contacted the 24hour critical care vet (yes this happened on a Sunday) they said they would like to flush her with IV fluids.
After the consult with poison control, the vet said that she is going to need 24 care (IV's, antibiotics, heart medication, progestrone, calcium binders, & some special medication that was about $185 per dose...). Dovonex, even in smaller amounts, is FATAL to dogs (proabbly other pets as well). There is a very high amount of Calcium in it, which clogs the kidneys, and other organs, causing death. Now a week and a half later, and $2000.00 in vet care, my little girl is "mostly" out of the woods, a few more blood tests will determine the damage it caused in her body. We are very lucky that I caught it when I did, and treated her asap.
Please put your Dovonex in a location where your pets wont be tempted. They must really like that stuff. She didn't even touch the burrito on my plate. Instead she ate the closed tube of Dovenex...
I hope that passing this along may save the life/lives of other cherished pets.