Beware of Dovonex and Dogs!

** Originally posted by OregonQ **

I was just prescribed Dovonex for my psoriasis. I fell asleep on the couch one night with a half-eaten burrito sitting next to my brand new 60 gram tube of Dovonex. My 11 month old Springer Spaniel ate the WHOLE tube in the middle of the night. (by the way, never touched the burrito) In the morning as soon as I woke up I contacted poison control. At first they said the metal tube was the biggest danger. I contacted the 24hour critical care vet (yes this happened on a Sunday) they said they would like to flush her with IV fluids.

After the consult with poison control, the vet said that she is going to need 24 care (IV's, antibiotics, heart medication, progestrone, calcium binders, & some special medication that was about $185 per dose...). Dovonex, even in smaller amounts, is FATAL to dogs (proabbly other pets as well). There is a very high amount of Calcium in it, which clogs the kidneys, and other organs, causing death. Now a week and a half later, and $2000.00 in vet care, my little girl is "mostly" out of the woods, a few more blood tests will determine the damage it caused in her body. We are very lucky that I caught it when I did, and treated her asap.

Please put your Dovonex in a location where your pets wont be tempted. They must really like that stuff. She didn't even touch the burrito on my plate. Instead she ate the closed tube of Dovenex...

I hope that passing this along may save the life/lives of other cherished pets.

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by Geffy **

I am happy you mentioned this as I have had dogs desparately want to lick my knees. I don't have any dogs, but at other peoples homes or talking to someone walking one. At first I thought it was due to my knee having P booboos, but I did notice that they did it more when I had it covered with Dovenex. I am now glad I would get the dog to stop! I just couldn't imagine it was good for the dog, but had no idea that it would really harm 'em seriously. Wow!

It has been my experience that cats don't seem to care for Dovenex. None of my 3 cats have ever been interested, but one never knows. I did have one cat as a child that was bonkers for Vick's Vapor Rub.

Just goes to show that pets, like young children, should be kept away from medications.

I hope that your dog will have no lasting effects. That dog should be proud to have you for her "human" :p

** Originally posted by rockstoneUS **

aww that sounds awful...but sadly what I'm about to say won't help make it any better :(

the problem with dovonex is that it is a Vitamin D drug....this means when it gets to a toxic level in any mammal it will cause hypercalcaemia..which is too much calcium in the blood..and after that hypercalciurea, which is too much calcium in the urine.

The only other product vitamin d chemicals are used in are rodent poisons..they work by increasing the calcium in the blood to a level which will cause heart failure, thats how effective they can be.

Just out of interest, the company which makes it (Leo?)..recommend that all dovonex users have blood tests before and during use to avoid this problem...it's not so bad if you don't have much p...but the risk does go up the more you use.....the was a report of a guy needing hospital treatment in the UK when he used 70grams a week.....if you are using a lot , check your urine for white clouds in it..it could be a sign of hypercalciurea.

here's the link which says about the blood tests (you might have to 'copy and paste' it into your browser) -

http://www.leo-pharma.ca/C1256AD9004FA5C9/sysOakFil/DVX%20PM/$File/DVX-PM-E -15-FEB02.pdf

best of luck and I hope your dog is ok ;)

** Originally posted by MaryJean713 **

the problem with dovonex is that it is a Vitamin D drug....this means when it gets to a toxic level in any mammal it will cause hypercalcaemia..which is too much calcium in the blood..and after that hypercalciurea, which is too much calcium in the urine.

The only other product vitamin d chemicals are used in are rodent poisons..they work by increasing the calcium in the blood to a level which will cause heart failure, thats how effective they can be.

Just out of interest, the company which makes it (Leo?)..recommend that all dovonex users have blood tests before and during use to avoid this problem...it's not so bad if you don't have much p...but the risk does go up the more you use.....the was a report of a guy needing hospital treatment in the UK when he used 70grams a week.....if you are using a lot , check your urine for white clouds in it..it could be a sign of hypercalciurea.

QUOTE]

OH MY GOD! NO ONE HAS EVER TOLD ME THIS! NOT EVEN THE 5 DERMS I HAVE SEEN!

I slathered this s*** all over my body for about 3-4 years!!! I was using about 2 large tubes a week! That stuff is going in the trash right now!!

*But obviousy bagged up where my kitties or dog can't get to it.*

Thank you for the info.

I hope your puppy gets to feeling much better very soon. That sounds like my whippet, Sadie. She once ate an entire bag of halls cough drops. She unwrapped every one of them- it was really quite something, I followed the wrappers until I found her in the middle of my bed- covered in menthol. Sticky and gross!

Needless to say, another trip to the vet. I think I have paid for at least one of his children's college education. She had an upset stomach for quite a while, but ended up OK.

I will be thinking about you and your puppy. I hope you both are through the major stress of the situation.

MJ

** Originally posted by numbrman **

OH MY GOD! NO ONE HAS EVER TOLD ME THIS! NOT EVEN THE 5 DERMS I HAVE SEEN!

I slathered this s*** all over my body for about 3-4 years!!! I was using about 2 large tubes a week! That stuff is going in the trash right now!!

*But obviousy bagged up where my kitties or dog can't get to it.*

Thank you for the info.

I hope your puppy gets to feeling much better very soon. That sounds like my whippet, Sadie. She once ate an entire bag of halls cough drops. She unwrapped every one of them- it was really quite something, I followed the wrappers until I found her in the middle of my bed- covered in menthol. Sticky and gross!

Needless to say, another trip to the vet. I think I have paid for at least one of his children's college education. She had an upset stomach for quite a while, but ended up OK.

I will be thinking about you and your puppy. I hope you both are through the major stress of the situation.

MJ

Holy overreaction MaryJean! There is no need to throw the medication away. If you use the medication AS DIRECTED you shouldn't have any problems.
That means not eating Dovonex. It's a topical medication, not to be eaten like the dog did. This also means not using more than 100 grams of Dovonex per week (for an adult). The maximum weekly dose is stated right in the literature that comes with each dosing is right in the package. If you were using two large (120g) tubes per week, then you are well above the maximum weekly dosage stated right in the literature.

If you are using that much Dovonex per week, you must have very severe psoriasis covering a large percentage of your body. At my worst, I had psoriasis on about 40% of my body. In my experience, topicals basically stopped being effective once the psoriasis coverage got above 10% body coverage. I found that the topical medications were no more effective than moisturizing creams. I find that once psoriasis gets out of control, the only way to get it back under control is through the use of some sort of internal taken medication (biologicals, methotrexate, etc). You might want to consider going on some sort of internally taken medication to help get your psoriasis under control.

Take care.

** Originally posted by MaryJean713 **

I did some research and found out that you are right- I was using way to much of that stuff. I am just really frustrated, my derm knew how much P I have, and she kept perscribing me the topical meds.

You are very right, they don't work. But the dovonex did relieve some of the itching and cracking, and made for a better nights sleep.

I have recently started enbrel for treatment of my P and PA (with a new derm). I have not noticed much of a change, but I have discontinued use of the dovonex, so that might be why.

I am just shocked that my derm wouldn't tell me that, or suggest that I get blood work done while I was using so much of it. That just proves that being informed about your meds is a necessity. I have discovered this much to late.
I should have started going to a rheumy about 2 years ago- and my derm should have recommended it. But she didn't, and I wasn't proactive enough- and now I have irreversible joint damage.

Sometimes I just get so FED-UP with doctors. They only talk to you for about 15 minutes and then charge you 200.00! Some of the derms I have seen really don't even want to treat P. One doctor even shrugged his shoulders! He said that it was incurable and he couldn't do anything! Well, I know it's incurable, but I still have it, and would like some relief!

But, thankfully I am now getting the right treatment for my P and PA, despite the medical establishment. It took me going to a new derm and almost demanding that he perscribe enbrel, and he still didn't recommend that I go to a rheumy. I had to get a referral from my GP.

Sorry about the rant- I guess another overreaction.

Thank you for your encouragment- I feel like I needed it!

MJ

** Originally posted by rockstoneUS **

i was pretty shocked when i found out about it too...i'd used it for over 6 years and did have the cloudy urine...i did the proper blood tests at that time but not before....but the results must have been pretty alarming as they took the results out of my records!!!......thnnaks a lot...NOT...

still at least it encouraged me to take better care of myself and my diet etc....and my p is much more in control now..

i think the thing with dovonex is..yes..the more you use the more chance you have of these calcium metabolism problems....and you don't even have to use 100g a week for that to happen.....thats why leo say for everyone to have blood tests....it does seem crazy though that the info is hidden away like that?

good luck guys. ;)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders