Best State/Climate to live with Psoriasis

Im a life-long sufferer of Psoriasis and have always lived in Oklahoma and Texas (same climate). Im considering a move to Colorado and Im curious if anyone feels that climate has any positive/negative effects on their P..

I realize that living next to a beach where one can absorb lots of sun and saltwater would be an ideal situation for any P sufferer, but Im moreso interested in actual climate and location in relation to any change in P.

Edited November 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm

9 replies. Join the discussion

Great question - I'm going to Boulder this weekend for an interview and I always like to consider the environment.
Right now I live about 5 miles from a SoCal beach but I rarely go. It is nice that it's mostly sunny here and I get out a lot but I'm not convinced that it's ideal for P.

The Denver area is high in altitude so there's more UV radiation (and all the negatives that go along with that too)....not sure how that would compare to living closer to the equator at sea level. The sun is out something like 300 days a year average so that's good.

There's trade-offs to everything so I wonder how people do as well.

hot , humid and sunny is the best but it did nothng for me
When I lived in cold, dry NY I did NOT have it

Can you have a vacation there first to see if the climate has any effect on your psoriasis.I live in sunny Australia next to the beach and have a hot,dry climate but still have Psoriasis but it does look better in Summer.I avoid the sun these days as it is so hot and now I am on MTX and don't want to get burnt.Mind you having said that our weather is changing and when I grew up it was always a dry heat but the last two years we have actually had some humidity and that isn't heard of here as my state is the driest state in Australia. Go figure guess climate it is changing all over the world.

Why not try living near the Dead Sea in Israel? The Dead Sea is full of natural minerals that are good for psoriasis and other skin diseases.

I live in Hot weather AZ, where 118F in the summer is common. Psoriasis doesn't stand a chance against the sun and dry weather. So if Psoriasis is caused by fungus or bacteria, that would explain why our weather here in AZ or the dead sea (desert) has been ideal for Psoriasis.

Seems like people who live in cold weather tend to get it the worst.

I live in Colorado in the Boulder area.

I can tell you that the dry air can and does make keeping your psoriasis moisturized a challenge. I notice that during the cold winter months when it air gets much dryer I have to moisturize twice a day with a heavy moisturizer. During the summer I can switch to a lighter moisturizer and get away with once a day.

We do have more sunny days, that is true. I have heard that climates with more humidity are supposed to be better for psoriasis. With the high altitude and higher UV you do have to use a sunscreen year round here.

On the other hand, if you like skiing in the winter and hiking and other outdoor activities in the summer, this is the place for you.

Hope I've helped.

@bunnytoes - I just visited CO over the weekend and found out about the dryness, wow, I was surprised. I might be moving to the area since I have a good offer but I'm wondering if it gets better after winter? About when do you feel the air getting less dry?...or is it like this year-round? I'm only a bit worried about how I'll acclimate to the dryness if I accept but any tips will be helpful - do you use a humidifier?

The air is less dry after winter, but the humidity is always low. I do notice the air getting much dryer when the winter cold sets in. I also use heavier moisturizer during the winter and I notice that in spring and summer I can get away with much less. In the winter a humidifier does help, especially if you have forced air heat since that can really dry up your indoor air even more.

I think that if you had visited in the summer you probably wouldn't have noticed the dry air as much. Humidity does get very low in the winter. But we are considered an arid climate.

All I can say is moisturize, moisturize, moisturize..... lol Also during the winter nettipots (for nasal washes) are very popular since everybody has dry nasal passages.

Thanks for that. First time I've ever heard of a "neti pot" in my life, looked at pictures of people using them...lol, you just blew my mind.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders