Back pain when cough or sneeze

** Originally posted by TopOp **

I'm wandering if anyone of you have this. When I cough or sneeze I get a really sharp pain in my lower back. I always suppress my sneeze and when I cough I have to position my self in a way to avoid some of the sharp stabbing pain.

8 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by FlakeyMatt **

Hello TopOp

Yes when my PA was flaring I would have terrible pain in my back when I coughed or sneezed. Mine was located in my upper back kinda b/w my spine and shoulderblade

When my PA improved it went away F.M.

** Originally posted by npf_import-82999 **

TopOp,

Just checking to be sure that a ruptured disc has been ruled out.

Annie

** Originally posted by jrybak **

Hello TopOp

Yes when my PA was flaring I would have terrible pain in my back when I coughed or sneezed. Mine was located in my upper back kinda b/w my spine and shoulderblade

When my PA improved it went away F.M.

Hi TopOp,

Yes, I have the same problem as Matt. It's in the shoulderblade area by my spine. Makes me crazy & lasts for days & days. I sneezed last Friday really hard & my back still hurts. The chiropractor has helped me a lot over the past few months, I don't know if you're interested in that. Otherwise I just take Advil. I'm on Enbrel too. I don't know if I have PA in my back, the dr said it's bursitis, but who knows.

Good luck. I agree with Annie too, rule out the ruptured disk. Hope you feel better!

Jen

** Originally posted by Moonchild **

I have had this too, in that exact same area, and I do have PA. But I would tend to agree with Annie, as I once had an exploded disk L4-L5, and it was very paifull whenever I would cough /sneeze or what have you.

Hope this helps, good luck~

** Originally posted by Mybadgenes **

Hi Topop,

Although I can't answer for myself my daughter has the same pain as you in the lower back and can never sneeze. She has Ankylosing Spondylitis, one of the forms of arthritis affecting the spine. She has been prescribed Enbrel and the pain you describe got so bad for her she finally had the script filled and started taking it. Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between the kinds of arthritis. I, myself, was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis.

Juanita

** Originally posted by SJand3kids **

I have the same thing as Matt too — upper back, shoulder, lungs — very sharp pain. Before I was diagnosed with PA I thought I was having a heart attack — even though I was only 40 years old, 105 pounds and in excellent physical shape. I guess it was foreshadowing of things to come.

Sara B

** Originally posted by ffg254 **

Sorta funny story; my dad was in the hospital with a ruptured disk, decided on bed rest for a week instead of surgery, finally ready to go home, felt much better, picked up his bag, walking out of the hospital room, sneezed and that was that, he had the surgery 8 hours later. Sneezing is very hard on the body. Try (dont laugh) when you feel a sneeze to bend your knees to absord the blow. You may look like a moron, but who cares. I do it now too.

** Originally posted by MikeTC **

Try sitting on a high back contour chair (office chair) and squeeze/push your back and neck to the chair while sneeze or cough. It helps lessen the pain because you are stablize the affected areas. Good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders