Arthritis in your rib cage?

I have been having a lot of pain in my rib cage. If you press it, even with minimal pressure, it's very painful and then aches for quite a while. I have PsA with spondylitis and sacroillitis.. Is this related?

Roni

15 replies. Join the discussion

More than likely, but you still should check it out on your next rheum visit. Quite a lot of the rib cage is made of the very tissue that inflames in us. I hate it worst when even breathing hurts.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your pain in your ribcage is a sign of advancing PsA. Part of the advancement of the illness is the calcifcation of the ligaments and connective tissue. By design, your ribcage is held together that way, with cartilage to provide pivot points so the ribs will flex and you can breath. I say this as a 30+ yr veteran of AS, PsA, and severe plaque Ps. My lung capacity is down in the high 40s%. I won't bore you and others will the details, suffice to say, my ribcage is solid, along with my spine. You did not mention what treatment program you're following, but you may want to visit your rheumatologist and ramp it up. Your mention of pain when breathing (I assume breathing deeply) means whatever you're doing isn't enough. One of the most important things is to maintain as much joint movement as you can, for as long as you can -- and pay attention to posture. Good luck and think pro-active and positive.

Hi Roni, this pain is called Chostochondroitis and is inflammation of the connective tissue between the Ribs. I have only had this once or twice and it only lasted about 3 days each time. It is very painful and I feel for you, definitely let your doctor know about it and see what he/she wants to do.

I don't have pain when I breath. Although by the end of the day the pressure from my bra is driving me mad. I was dx about 15 years ago and have been on NSAIDs ever since (varying types and dosages). Currently I am on Arthrotec 75 twice a day.

Its most likely related. I have same dx as you, and have had this happen before. Its quite uncomfortable...I feel for you!

For me, once I got my flare under control, it would go away. It was never part of my chronic (daily) PsA pain issues.

I have been dealing with this also the last year. Makes sleeping difficult sometimes. I will be starting Humira next week so I hope that helps.

I thought I was alone in this symptom. I am a smoker and have known for a long time I needed to quit. I think this post just solved that. I am actually going through one of these spells now where a deep breath is a little more difficult. My breast are tender also. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...poohaw!

Thank you all for your replies! At least I know it's "normal" with PsA. This has been going on for months...some days are worse than others. I wouldn't say it was excruciating... most days just uncomfortable but on others it's sore. If I accidentally lean on my rib cage (leaning over a counter to reach something, etc.) it is quiet painful and leans a nasty ache. My hubby rolled over in bed and accidentally elbowed me and I literally cried. It might be time to try something other than NSAIDs. I just went for blood work so am hoping for a rheumy referral (my tests always comes back with problems!).

Yes, I too have had the ribcage pain. Last month I had a very bad flare, so bad it hurt to move and breathe. After a week of tests with my primary care Dr. (I had a pulmonary embolism last summer so they were extra cautious) with nothing abnormal, I went the the rheumy and viola! it was my PsA rearing its ugly head. : ) Just because it is "normal" for the disease, doesn't mean you have to live with it. My rheumy put me on a moderate dose of prednisone (and some pain meds) for a week and a half. Finally, after a week it settled down. Now I know what to do when it flares up again...

Take Care!

I, too, experience pain around the rib cage both in the front and back. I was put on a steroid dose for foot swelling and it was wonderful how it relieved the rib pain also. Unfortunately it came back in full force as I weaned off the pred. RADIndy45..sorry to hear you have so much damage. I, too, have the spondylitis . So far my neck and lower back have fused. Also, I have the mutilans form and my finger, toes, and wrists have fused together or a few of the joints are eaten away which is how I can type. I did not realize the AS could get that bad although they diagnose my as PsA form. You have helped me feel more comfortable taking the big gun biologics before much is truly known about them. good Luck to you and to Roni_M and all the rest who posted.

I have that pain when working out my abs at the gym and bending leaning over

I have the pain in my rib cage area too!!!! It is so painful when it starts! I thought for a while that it had to do with my back I still really don't know where it comes from but there so sore like there broken!!! I guess its just another wonderful part of having PsA! I did mention it to my rheumatologist and she mentioned alot of people with PsA do have this issue and its called costeoconditis where the tendons connected to the rib cage get inflamed and it is a common complaint!!!! When this does happen to me I put the heating pad on it and just lay down for the day due to the pain! I hope you get some relief!!!

Welcome to the jungle. Exact similar symptoms for the similar condition(spondylitis and sacroillitis). After 1 year of P followed by 3 years of PA, i am now more worried about the Arthritis. The joints get damaged and that is the reality

But what i observed after a kind of breathing technique (a.k.a pranayama. Google and might find something that teaches), i am now out of this. Its like recycling the lungs and for whatever reason it helped me. I am not evangelizing but do check if it fits into your routine.

I was diagnose with PA in 1984. Looing back had it all my life. Went into remission when I was younger. It is a pig of a disease and destro9ys joints and can also inolve internal organs. The soon u get adequate treatment the less likelihood of destruction. I have it in my feet and ankles and when I try to do anything If i could "howl" with pain I would. Rest is the only relief and hot paacks help if u caN GET AROUND TO GET THEM. I get it in my chest : pain on deep breathg and reduced lung function. I had osteop fracture of T7 and a few more , and that doesn't help.
My latest trick is low iron/ferriton. Unless iron studies r done it is not picked up. symptoms r shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, heart racing and bunping around. Low iron can also affect your nails, am sure my PS of nails cleared up after infusion of iron. HB can look okay. It is the iron stores. U have to ask dr to do "Iron Studies" Best treatment is iron infusion, Tablets r too slow and horrible to take.
I also get PA in my jaw, injection of depo M or cortisone into trigeminal nerve has helped neueralgia and migraine. Not a lot of Rheums can or like to do it.
I nursed for 40 or more yrs, had 4 kids and worked hard at lots of things. Nothing I could not do. How used to ache at end of day. Legs, feet and low back. didn't know where to put them.
Hey but it knocks u down just when u think u have got the beast sorted, but we all get up again and it could be a lot worse.
The is a lot of support out there if u an find it. I am a West Aussie. Where r u all from???
chin up
hugs

I'm on the east coast of Canada. I've had iron deficient anemia in the past. I also have a bleeding disorder called ITP (Immune system attacks your platelets) and the two seem to worsen together (when platelets get too low my iron usually is low too). The ITP has been under control for the last few years.

I have a new doctor and since I'm a plus size girl...his solution to everything is to get rid of the extra weight. I'm working on that... But I feel like I have to suffer until I'm a size zero with him! I know I need to shed some lbs...but I was actually underweight when I was diagnosed. So I am working out, walking more and experiencing more pain from the PsA. I figure by the time I've lost enough to make the doctor happy my joints will be a mess!

Sorry I'm venting a bit case my hips are throbbing and I'm dreading my 30 minutes on the treadmill today!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders