Around my eyes - With Photos

** Originally posted by squeepig **

Here's how lovely my psoriasis is around my eyes. I've tried Protopic with little success. I've even tried triple antibiotic cream in the hopes it was just something else. I'm seeing a new dermatologist on the 7th. Hopefully I'll still be able to see by then.

Marian

13 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by GreenButterfly **

Hi marian, So sorry for your discomfort. I have p all over, but never have had it around the eyes. Hopefully when you go to the derm you will get some relief. You are in my thoughts.

** Originally posted by Ihurt **

Are they giving you anything to apply? What does your derm say?

Hi marian, So sorry for your discomfort. I have p all over, but never have had it around the eyes. Hopefully when you go to the derm you will get some relief. You are in my thoughts.

Thanks. :) They say that psoriasis around the eyes indicates a deep systemic involvement. :( I have psoriasis in other areas of my body, but around the eyes is the worst. It's so visible to others, it hurts just to blink, which we do thousands of times a day, and it's affecting my ability to do my job. I'm sooooooooo hoping this next doc can help.

Are they giving you anything to apply? What does your derm say?

I'm still using the protopic and I'm moisturizing like crazy. I'm seeing a new derm this week. My old one kept throwing creams at me but wouldn't recommend ANYTHING else! I can't stay like this. Arghgh.

Marian

** Originally posted by pammy1 **

Marian-

I'm no doctor, but I get this and your's appears to be a form of dermatitis that can quickly be relieved with Tetracycline- that's what mine is at least. The first time it came on, I too thought it was P and a doctor (not a derm) put me on a steriod creme that made it lots worse!! My derm and the internet both led me to Tetracycline.

Your pictures are so very close to what I look like- it was like I had been bitten by bugs or something below my eyes and I felt horrible because of the way I looked.

I hope you get relief soon.

** Originally posted by SuzanneT **

I am amazed every day at the places where P can pop up. For 13 years I had it only on palms and soles... now that I'm on Raptiva it's popping up all over! I have it on one eyelid that looks like yours. I'm not sure if it's actually P there, or maybe an allergic reaction to the eye makeup that I used for my Halloween costume. :mad:

** Originally posted by sergecosta **

Hi Marian--

Of all the places I have psoriasis, Protopic worked very well on my eyelids. My eyelid psoriasis is off and on. If Protopic can't clear you there, in the presumably the thinnest skin of the body, I would immediately suspect something else. Protopic would definitely make an infection worse.

Now, I should tell you that one of the worse facial flares I had was after I put on a triple antibiotic ointment on the sides of my nose. Oh man, my nose almost fell off. It was fire engine red for two weeks. My derm said that there are some antibiotic ointments/creams with components that are known to aggravate, perhaps even induce, psoriasis. Don't quote me on it but I think it's neomycin. Needless to say, I don't do this anymore. In fact, I am scared of putting things on my face like creams, soaps, cleansers----anything except Protopic, scalp solution for the hairline areas, and water with a little grapeseed oil to retain moisture. That's it.

Best of luck with your appointment.

Serge

Serge,
I had the same problem with triple antibiotic. There is one component in there that I am allergic to. I think you're right - neomycin?

What do you use for the scalp? It's going up the back of my neck, and there are two large areas there. I have long hair and the clobetasol ointment is really messy!
Sue

** Originally posted by sergecosta **

Hi Suzanne,

I am doing really well with Elocon scalp solution and Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo. I stopped using Clobex as I think my psoriasis has calmed down significantly. At this time, I am using simple Grapeseed oil -- just a tad bit in water -- to restore the moisturized feel to my skin. I don't use oil on my scalp as that leads to the use of more shampoo, which in turn seems to make my scalp worse.

Serge

Well, it's not psoriasis, but contact allergic dermatitis!! I'm allergic to something in my life. I don't use cosmetics or nail polish, so the search begins... I was given an ointment and the derm says it should clear in 10 days. Just 2 days later, and most of it is gone! After 3 months of hell and that was all it was?! Whoo hoo!

Marian

** Originally posted by pammy1 **

Well, it's not psoriasis, but contact allergic dermatitis!! I'm allergic to something in my life. I don't use cosmetics or nail polish, so the search begins... I was given an ointment and the derm says it should clear in 10 days. Just 2 days later, and most of it is gone! After 3 months of hell and that was all it was?! Whoo hoo!

Marian

I'm so glad it's not P and I really thought you had what I did, too.... If the ointment stops working, I would ask about the Tetracyline. Great news though!! :)

** Originally posted by DottieD **

What GREAT news - I'm so happy for you! Now that you know what the problem is, you've got a good chance of beating it. Best of luck, DottieD

That's great! What was the ointment? Glad you're doing better.

** Originally posted by GreenButterfly **

Glad your doing better!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders