Arava and Remicade

** Originally posted by DChurch **

Hello my PA friends. So I am having a heck of a time with this horrible PA. On a good note, my skin looks great. So i've been doing Remicade since April and last month my bones decided to fight the Remicade, needless to say OUCH!!! Wow, what pain I experienced, got in for an early infusion and felt great again. So the infusions are wearing off earlier and earlier and today I type feeling like someone hit my hands with a hammer and I do believe my left hand looks like I have hotdogs for fingers from the swelling...oooh I feel fabulous! I called my Rheum yesterday and he added Arava to take in conjunction with my infusions. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the similar treatment and how long for the Arava to kick in. Considering i'm 35 and feel 90 this week, i'm dreading what my retirement years will be like! Yikes!

10 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by melbbcr **

I have been on Arava for years, on it's own it doesn't do much. I have been on enbrel (started in 2005-stopped working late last year) Started Humira 3 months ago...didn't work. Am now waiting for a script to arrive for Infliximab (Remicade)

I will be staying on the Arava & restarting methotrexate with the new treatment. I can hardly walk, so this better work! I'm so tired of this. Good luck!!

** Originally posted by mariaoneill **

DChurch,
I am very anxious to learn about Arava as well. I have infusions of Remicade every 5 weeks, but the treatment only lasts about 3 1/2 weeks. It's almost like a switch goes off and every symptom comes back with flying colors! My rheum has played around with the dosage and the interval between infusions, but I think it's time to talk to him about going every 4 weeks. I know we also have room to play with the dosage as well as he starts out conservatively with the remicade.
I am also on MTX (injection once a week) along with folic acid and naproxen and vicodin for pain.
Maria

** Originally posted by d-ray **

I know exactly how you feel. I have been on every 4 weeks for Remicade infusions and my wrists and hands i think are horrible..... I am at max dose, but I cant be on methrotrexate or NSAIDS but what is Arava? That can be combined with Remicade????? I am in the process of waiting for my appt with an allergist because I am now having this horrible itching, they dont know if related to Remicade.

Seems like everyone is doing the MTX along with their treatments, I did the MTX in pill form years ago as well injections about 5 years ago, I just wanted to hold off going back on it so my rheum recommended the Arava. Day 2 and i'm not seeing any drastic change. My hands still hurt, my right ankle is pretty sore BUT my neck isn't stiff and yesterday it was hardly moving. Unfortunately my PA doesn't seem to hang around long in certain spots but moves about my body like it's on tour and I never know where the next stop will be. Thanks for the feedback, i'll give an update again soon.

** Originally posted by mariaoneill **

Love the idea of PsA going on tour and not knowing where it will stop! Mine moves from joint to joint all day long, but loves to hang out in my hands, wrists, lower back and feet! Wonder where the hotels are the nicest?!??!

** Originally posted by zeldazeph **

Anyone had experience with abcesses while on Remicade? Just started Remicade (after trying everything else) along with Methotrexate injections. A week later ended up in the ER while on a business trip with a bad abcess. Wow did it ever hurt! Made the joint pain seem mild in comparison. My reading indicated that abcesses aren't uncommon while on this treatment. Are there any other "special" things I should watch out for while on Remicade? I am going to talk to my rheumie about Arava.

What? May I ask where and what type of abcesses you had developed? My face has broken out in what I thought was acne (never had that) and I thought maybe because of stress. Oh, since I posted this morning apperently the PA tour is visiting my right shoulder and arrived as I was sitting in a meeting, I got up and felt like my arm was frozen. Good times my friends, good times.

Day 3....no relief. I got my injection moved up to next Friday but i'm calling the rheum to give me something for the inflammation. This is crazy pain i'm in!!!! I have a 5 year old daughter and she is just a wreck when she sees me start hobbling around.

Day 6 of Arava. Definitely takes some inflammation away but not any pain. The PA is still on tour, so far today it is taking a toll on my knees and feet but i'm sure it's because i'm sitting in my office all day. I keep trying to walk around every 40 minutes or so. I'm looking forward to my infusion on Friday!

Okay so it's been just over a week on the Arava and had no relief in sight, today I have relief. Both my ankles are working again, my hands are still stiff and the right knee hurts like no tomorrow but i'm moving around and can walk! Woohoo! So the doctor's office called me back and said it could take up to 3 weeks for the Arava to kick in...YIKES....Infusion day tomorrow, thank goodness!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders