ARAVA

Hi Everyone

Has anyone here used or heard of ARAVA - recommended for RA and now is being suggested for PSA. It also has gross side effects.

Thanx, ME
ItchyMom

12 replies. Join the discussion

Hello,
I know that ARAVA is recomended for Rheumatoid artrit...

I was on Arava several years ago for a short couple of months . I had bad luck withit . It caused elavated liver enzymes and instead of helping me I ended up almost bedridden so naturally I stopped taking it . I also had a liver problem after that . A lot of people have very good luck with arava but I would proceed carefully as alot have had liver damage . from it . be careful and read up on it .
cathy from ma

Arava is now suggested for Psoriatic Arthritis, I don't know if it does anything for the psoriasis.
I'm very leery of using it.
ME
Irene

Arava, what I have been reading about it, it definitely sounds gross. One of the p ossible side effects among other things, is hair loss. I went through that some years ago with Methotrexate. What a mess! I told the rheumy that I don't want to take it. He didn't seem to care. I also don 't want to do Humira because of its possible side effects. I kind of just live around the aches and pains and scaly itchy stuff.

Thanx, ME, Irene

I am on mobic ,plaquanil and enbrel. Over rhe years I have been on indocin ,clinoril ,orudis ,voltaren , methotrexate,feldene humira,arava,minocycline,enbrel,of course motrin. cymbalta ,elavil ,effexor,paxil,toridol,celebrex, vioxx.,lexapro and some others . some were good and some were notcathy from ma

Thanx Baloney -- you really are a living chemistry lab. Has anything helped you at all. Or have they made you sicker. I haven't tried any of the biologics except methotrexate and amevieve study some years ago. Had to stop amevieve due to illness. Ijust can't bring myself to do any of the real harsh stuff, humira, enbrel, arava, etc etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum.............

just made me tired and cleared my psoriasis when I used to take it

I just came off of the Avara....was on it for 6 weeks, but had to come off because I developed a very severe dry cough and wheezing. Was also VERY tired while taking it. Starting Enbrel as soon as I can get rid fo the cough. Isn't it amazing how different drugs react with different people??? Thank God there is more than one option!

I have been on Arava for oh, 6 months. I did go off for about a month because I started to get really itchy all over with no rash...felt like I was losing my mind! Anyway, started back on it at 20 mg/day last week and so far no itching. I have noticed a little more hair loss, but I do have blonde hair and it's longer now than it's ever been so maybe that's all in my head. I don't know that necessarily means you'll go bald, anyway. I had horrible luck with methotrexate. I was first diagnosed with RA and that's why I was on Arava then they switched my diagnosis to PsA due to the psoriasis on my scalp. I did notice for the month that I was off it that I had more of a flare on my scalp, but when I'm on it I still have some patches....but not as bad. It has taken away all of my joint pain except for my hips. I'd say if you don't want to jump into the biologics pool yet that you should give it a try. I know it also takes awhile to build up in your bloodstream. Oh, and they also say online that you should be off it for 2 years before trying to conceive (whether you are the mother or father!) but my rheum assured me that 6 months off it should be good. I'll let ya know if I get the itches again - that was horrible!!

Hi - thanx for you note. I really don't want to lose hair again, did that with methotrexate a few years ago. I wouldn't worry to much at this stage of my life about conceiving - I'm long past that stage. All grown up, sort of. Not too mature but just keep having bunches of birthdays..............

Thanx, ME
Irene

My second liver enzyme panel came back elevated this week. Doc took me off the Methetrexate, and honestly guys, I am depressed as hell, it was working and I almost felt normal.... I was really really leery of even taking it after seeing the list of possible side effects... Now I have the same feeling, if not worse about this Arava... If there is anyone here that can shed some positive light on itor was in a similar situation , I go tonight to pick up the prescription, I would love to hear from you...

it's a good idea to take milk thistle extract with either mtx or Arava. Milk thistle helps your liver repair itself and keeps new cells from being damaged. (here's a page about it http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/milk-thistle-000266.htm) I actually took both mtx and Arava for 3 years. Early on my liver enzymes began to go up and I started taking milk thistle on the advice of another gimp group. sure enough, the lab results went right back down to beautifully normal and stayed there throughout. You can pick it up in your local vitamins & supplements aisle.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders